Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 05-31-2011, 07:04 AM   #1
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default Argumentitive essay on MC Licensing

Here's the deal: I am writing an essay about how our MC licensing procedures are woefully lacking compared Canadian, Euro, Austrailian and Japanese counterparts. My case is to put forth ideas based on collected accident and injury reports that the MP permitting is a joke that is useless for rider development and that our "parking lot" riding test should be much more like that of Europe- on actual roads. Obviously, this would come at the cost of greater expense to the rider, but overall the requirements would lead to better rider education and safety- thusly, reducing accidents and decreasing insurance cost.
I will use quotes from the comments in my essay.
If it's good enough maybe MO will print it for the site and then you can see my complete work and comment further.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-31-2011, 07:48 AM   #2
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

It could be interesting. You can make the same argument for regular licenses; there is no real training or testing, almost any idiot can get behind the wheel.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
It could be interesting. You can make the same argument for regular licenses; there is no real training or testing, almost any idiot can get behind the wheel.
Even people in Florida!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Even people in Florida!
Some might comment that the bluehair population in San Diego is not particularly limited either. In fact, one might make parallels to Florida.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Some might comment that the bluehair population in San Diego is not particularly limited either. In fact, one might make parallels to Florida.
We priced the blue hairs out of the market here a long time ago.

With California's economic crash (fueled by unfettered capitalism and artificially low tax rates), the freeways are pretty empty these days.

I can drive down I5 in the middle of the day now 85 mph.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:11 AM   #6
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Even people in Florida!
You mean "Especially people in Florida." If you saw the people in the SFL DMV offices.... Between the old farts, the people who last drove a tractor in the Columbian mountains...it's a zoo.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:43 PM   #7
acecycleins
Founding Member

Dammit! Stay on topic. I need real input for the essay. It's due Tues. next week.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

"I will use quotes from the comments in my essay"

Getting a driver's license in Florida requires the ability to read, speak (any of 12 languages), and walk to the counter. And about $50. Nothing more, including driving skill or training, is required.

Its.......A FACT!
Old 05-31-2011, 02:23 PM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

The only problem is that a survey of motorcycle fatality rates in the USA and Europe shows no definite causality between stricter licensing and deaths from bike accidents. Yes, I know it's the Holy Grail of bike safety but the proof simply isn't there. The USA's death rate (~6.6 per 100,000 bikes) is less than France's (~9 per 100,000) and a bit more than most of the rest of Europe (between 2-4 per 100,000. New Zealand also shows about 4.4 per 100,000. However Portugal and Ireland are at an astronomical ~13 per 100,000. All these nations have very restrictive motorcycle licensing compared to most US States.

There's not a lot of difference there. You'd think that tiered licensing and hp restrictions would show a definite improvement over the mostly lax US restrictions, but the data just doesn't support it. (I can hear heads exploding in Seattle).

Now, I'm all for better training. But you can't draw a straight cause and effect between licensing and accident rates. Maybe the old adage is true for bikes as well as for college.

Q: What do you get when you send an idiot to college?

A: A college trained idiot.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:42 PM   #10
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

I do not want to have to pass yet more tests. I like being able to choose what I want to ride. I was smart enough to start small, and careful enough to ride within my limits.

Having said that, I am surprised that there aren't any of these street-riding courses available via the MSF or a private group/business. They have street-oriented riding courses on the track, but riding coaches for actual street riding not so much.

I like the advanced courses they have in Japan, too. I would sign up for one if it was available here. I just don't think they should be mandatory.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote