Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 06-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #31
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Why the hell do I need training? Shatz! I learnt to ride a bicycle when I was FOUR - I can ride a motorocycle.

One-down, four up; Right?

Never touch the front brake: it'll throw you over the handlebars.

If you're about to crash, you need to know how to lay 'er down to save it.

And only Harley makes Real Motorcycles - all them others is just pushbike-toys. (Heh, I actually heard a version of this one just a month ago from my H.R. Manager: "when you gonna buy a REAL motorcycle?")
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #32
cloud9
Registered Member

So from the looks of it, ace will be using none of our "helpful" posts for his article.

Insane are called those who deal with death

Masters are called those who seal the deal

Legends are called anyone of those who die in their quest.
cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #33
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
And only Harley makes Real Motorcycles - all them others is just pushbike-toys. (Heh, I actually heard a version of this one just a month ago from my H.R. Manager: "when you gonna buy a REAL motorcycle?")
Tell him your bike isn't a "real" motorcycle, it's just a figment of his imagination, and hologram-esque of what they wish they could engineer. Double the power & half the weight, 25% the maintence.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:05 AM   #34
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud9 View Post
So from the looks of it, ace will be using none of our "helpful" posts for his article.
Yep- I love the MOfo's. We all know and understand that there are issues with underdeveloped riders in the entire country, but no one wants to actually address is from a "this point forward" perspective.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:21 AM   #35
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

I believe that one of my previous statements does address this from a "this point forward" perspective:

"organize volunteers, maybe as part of existing motorcycle clubs or rider groups, who mentor younger or inexperienced or permit-only riders, giving them another resource to gain experience safely and without high cost."

It doesn't address licensing directly, but it does address rider safety.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #36
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Yep- I love the MOfo's. We all know and understand that there are issues with underdeveloped riders in the entire country, but no one wants to actually address is from a "this point forward" perspective.
Honestly Kirk, what do you expect from a group of laymen on the topic? I have no idea what the statistics are on new rider issues; just hearsay, rumor, and a few personal experiences.

I'm all in favor of basic training, stepped licenses, training/testing levels linked to motorcycle capabilities. But it was hard enough just to get the basic rider training in place; even now you can still buy any bike without having a M/C endorsement on your license.

I'll bet the dealer and industry lobbyists are working hard to minimize the requirements. If we had demanded M/C endorsements when I was selling bikes, it would have been disasterous.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #37
acecycleins
Founding Member

It won't happen that way, Ken. When the Euros changed the rules the industry barely blipped. Now that sales are down, it's the perfect time to make the change. Just because the rules for licensing change doesn't mean that MIC would freak out. Ideally, they should support it. The dealers aren't required to do anything different. This is all focused on the rider. If the rider fails to obey the rules then the bike registration is suspended or the license is suspended. In the end, all the dealer has to do is the same thing he/she has been doing- sell.
It's not the job as the dealer to enforce the law. It's the job of the rider to obey it. If you get more people on bikes that produce under 40hp you will get: a) people that will continue for years of happiness on them or B) trade ups to bigger bikes when they advance to the next level. It's been that way for decades in Europe. It can be that way here.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #38
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Actually, I really DO want to help you out here - the problem concerns me greatly; but I got nothin' on how to go-forward and address it.

I typed my comments tongue-in-cheek, but it really is indicative of attitudes about riding and licensing I've encountered - including, at one time, my own.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:34 AM   #39
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
For me at least I would not support a more restrictive system in the USA. But for the reason that once out govt gets involved in things the results are usually far worse than anyone originally envisioned. You really want more taxes and fees? Because that would be the first thing.

That itself might "solve" the problem, though. Forcing people to spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars to learn to ride might reduce the number of applicants. Some might call this a good thing.