Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 06-02-2011, 07:36 AM   #21
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

I thought 883's made 35hp in stock configuration.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2011, 08:00 AM   #22
Sir_Angus
Registered Member

This needs to be looked at from several angles:

1) Seru's point - No direct correlation between licensing standards & injuries, but maybe there's another value to be added, like amount of riding time & whether it was a 1-vehicle collision or multiple (rider experience can't displace the carelessness of car people). Other factors to consider - are Americans mostly pleasure riding vs. commuters? Also, I'm sure traffic patterns/roadways, congestion & training for car drivers are all variables that need to be factored as well. I'd speculate that when car license standards are added into this you'll find it skews the results. Everywhere except the middle east & largely undeveloped nations have significantly stricter regulations then the US when it comes to cars.

2) When I got licensed, 15 or so years ago, in FL the requirement was to either get a learner permit etc. or pass the MSF basic course. I chose the later & after 2.5 days I was fully licensed, but I was still very green. Looking back do I think I was rode worthy after 2.5 days, not really. Although I had extra unlicensed seat time that helped prepare me, I still made a lot of mistakes, but luckily nothing overtly stupid or dangerous. To this day no collisions ... KOW. However, classmates had never even sat on a bike before that class & walked away with a license; in which case the training was totally inadequate. It should be at least a 40 hr course that's mostly seat time. I'd suggest a 1yr unrestricted permit after the 40hr course, then a mandatory advanced rider course for fully licensing.

3) Do I think exhaustive training/testing will really make a difference ... No. A percentage of new riders will always make deadly mistakes due to lapse personal judgement. Even crusty old riders have this problem, but the odds are lessened by experience.

Last edited by Sir_Angus : 06-02-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Sir_Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:03 AM   #23
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
I thought 883's made 35hp in stock configuration.
Yeah I don't think an ECU remap is in order.

I stopped by the local H-D dealer yesterday and saw an old salesperson there I know pretty well.

He said the Iron 883 and 48 models are flying off the floor. They sell every one they can get.

He said he never imagined a Sporty would cost 10 grand and sell so well.

It's the hip bike right now though. All the young, tatted up MMA guys are riding them around here wearing Chuck Conner's shoes.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #24
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Chuck who? When I think of Chuck and MMA the name Chuck Liddell comes to mind. Then there's Chuck Connors, The Rifleman ..

Okay, now we can go back on topic.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:53 AM   #25
cloud9
Registered Member

What I hear echoing from crash reports is a rider is either unlicensed and or self taught, drunk or inexperienced.

Telling somebody they have to throw down close to 300 dollars (cost of msf course in my area) takes the wind out of that sail to take a training course. Personally I believe it's worth every dollar but I'm probably in the minority.

With all the drama surrounding helmet laws, trying to advocate for stiffer training seems like a uphill battle.

I feel if a rider wants to better their skills, we should offer every opportunity to do so.

I think the biggest part of rider training is state of mind. Will you assume you know everything and thus not seek to improve your skills or will you realize your limits, ride within them and strive to become a better rider.

Insane are called those who deal with death

Masters are called those who seal the deal

Legends are called anyone of those who die in their quest.
cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #26
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
Chuck who? When I think of Chuck and MMA the name Chuck Liddell comes to mind. Then there's Chuck Connors, The Rifleman ..

Okay, now we can go back on topic.
Are the canvas Converse shoes called Chuck Conner's?

He used to play for the Celtics.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #27
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud9 View Post
What I hear echoing from crash reports is a rider is either unlicensed and or self taught, drunk or inexperienced.
That would be me, from about 1990 to 2001. Among other things...

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #28
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Got it. The shoes are called Converse Chuck Taylor. AKA Chucks or Cons. The guy is called Chuck Connors, AKA The Rifleman, and he did used to play for the Celtics.

Those shoes, by the way, sucked in the '70s, and they still suck now. Just my opinion Why anyone would buy cheap, crappy shoes I do not understand. And I don't get why they're considered fashionable, either.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:10 AM   #29
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
Got it. The shoes are called Converse Chuck Taylor. AKA Chucks or Cons. The guy is called Chuck Connors, AKA The Rifleman, and he did used to play for the Celtics.

Those shoes, by the way, sucked in the '70s, and they still suck now. Just my opinion Why anyone would buy cheap, crappy shoes I do not understand. And I don't get why they're considered fashionable, either.
If you were a hipster doofus, they would be fashionable.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #30
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
If you were a hipster doofus, they would be fashionable.
Ha! I just spent a few weeks in Hollywood and was reintroduced to Hipster Central on Vermont near Hollywood Blvd where all those outdoor cafe's are. Nothing like mixed drinks in the morning for breakfast. What a zoo.