Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 04-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Yet another obsession...

Now it's Hit-Or-Miss motors from the 1920's clanking and wheezing in the back yard. A piston the size of a gallon paint can, 400 lbs. of flywheels and 1 horsepower (?). You can get 'em off ebay for a song. I got two Briggs & Strattons, a Lauson and a Choir Boy for peanuts.

Fun stuff, like listening to a mechanical symphony.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Are your neighbors sticking pins in their Cuddy dolls yet?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Yep. they've worn out quite a few over the years. No more ancient Huskys with open stingers, now it's wheezing, clanking monsters of technology. Just hope I don't get sucked up into the flywheels when I start one....
Old 04-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

My brother in law had a Buddah diesel he dug up in a boatyard and installed in his 21' double-ender sailboat. It had been recovered from a sunken boat and he rebuilt it. Pretty much what you described; the flywheel was probably 300 lbs alone. He'd get it spinning with a small electric motor and a belt and then feed in the fuel.

BOOM...put put put...BOOM...put put put....BOOM

At max RPM (what, 200?) you could still hear each power cycle as an individual explosion. The damn thing was insanely heavy, huge, and loud, but it moved the boat right along.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:18 AM   #5
pushrod
Founding Member

Pictures and video!

Matt, I can just see the leather drive belts snaking around your carport!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #6
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Yeah, I'll get some pics on this damn site, but whenever I try to upload to MO anymore I get the dreaded empty box wth the red "X" up in the left corner. I just got a new flywheel for my 1928 FH Briggs & Stratton hit-or-miss washing machine motor, it only puts out 1/2 horsepower, but has seventy pounds of flywheels (one on both sides). An overhead exhaust valve, and an atmospheric intake, should have it running this weekend. Dig the old stuff, made like a tank. For a 1/2 HP motor to weigh 95 lbs is quite a feat. See, being crippled has made me a master distiller, ace gunsmith, and now a restorer of ancient motors. Still miss my CR500 though...
Old 04-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #7
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Yeah, it's a little one though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Don't forget to keep water in the coolant-box!

Makes me think of the old Frick HDI compressors I used to work on. The 9x9's had twin 9"-bore cylinders, stood about 7-1/2-feet tall, and had a 42" flywheel that weighed about 600lbs. The connecting rods were over three feet long, with pistons nearly as long as the rods.

The 12x12 had twin 12"-bore cylinders, was about 13' tall, and had a 6'-diameter flywheel that weighed so much that, one time (before I worked at that plant) they had it off and dropped it, and it crushed the floor and actually shifted or "tipped" the edge of the concrete slab it broke about 1/2" down-below the rest of the floor. It's been repaired, but that slab is still tilted to this day. Mash yer toes, you bet.

Most of the ones I worked with were built in the '70s, but I had one 6x6 that had a build date of 1953. It was still running well when we took it out (it was connected directly to a Frick Shell-Ice maker we were scrapping because the USDA condemned it, and it was easier to just scrap the compressor too than re-task it, as it wouldn't make that much of a difference to my Intermediate Pressure anyway).
It a 1 HP Choir Box that weighs around 400 lbs. Had to pay some big dinero to have it crated and trucked from Wisconsen (Forward air). Was worth it though, just to watch all the bar operated valves and stuff is mesmerizing. I'm hooking it up to a Harbor Freight 440 volt generator head (made in China of course) for $225.00. No worries on power outages. It's real quiet too, just makes a big "POP" every eighth stroke or so, small flywheels (about 100 lbs each).
Old 04-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default That is so cool Morb...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
My brother in law had a Buddah diesel he dug up in a boatyard and installed in his 21' double-ender sailboat. It had been recovered from a sunken boat and he rebuilt it. Pretty much what you described; the flywheel was probably 300 lbs alone. He'd get it spinning with a small electric motor and a belt and then feed in the fuel.

BOOM...put put put...BOOM...put put put....BOOM

At max RPM (what, 200?) you could still hear each power cycle as an individual explosion. The damn thing was insanely heavy, huge, and loud, but it moved the boat right along.
Buddah diesels were one of the first ones in mass produciton, they even made a truck. Neat stuff. Shoot me a pic to the email address and I'll do the same with the new toys.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

You're mad dude, stark raving mad, I love it LOL! Nothing like old machinery clanking and banging away. When I worked a the U of W power plant they had this old rotary ball pulverizer that was installed in 1936. The newer ones are rotary hammer which is an axial flow and a lot more reliable.

The Engineer and I were talking one night about the old days and how much of a floor-shaker the old ball mill was, since the boiler it fed was in standby i said we should light it off and give it a try.. ... Long story short we did and it was indeed a floor shaker and then some, massivle cool to hear and feel it though.

It was run by an electric motor with four belt drives, coal would be fed into the top and then down around a verticle screw shaped spreader that was full off bowling ball sized soilid iron balls. The whole machine was pressurized by air from the boilers forced draft blowers and the crushed coal was heated by exhaust gas and blown into the boilers. Like I said, massivly cool and super loud with low freq vibration you could feel in you chest. We did a dry run because that boiler wasn't rated for coal anymore, just gas/ bunker C oil. Lots of fun to run though..

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:38 AM   #10
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Buddah diesels were one of the first ones in mass produciton, they even made a truck. Neat stuff. Shoot me a pic to the email address and I'll do the same with the new toys.
I wish I had one...

I'll ask my sister if she has any old photos of Xylona and the Buddah (they had that boat back in the late '70's IIRC) that I can scan and send.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote