Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 03-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Default Honda 750

In my never-ending quest for stupid ways to spend my money, I browse Craig's List and Cycle Trader. I came across this:

83 honda interceptor vf750f

I talked to the owner and he said it runs well, it's all there, and the only thing he knows of as far as issues with the bike is a bad fuel shut off valve with a name that sounds like slang for a male body part.

Any of you MoFos know any thing about these bikes? I had an '02 VFR, but of course that was a very different machine.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I don't know about the 750s - but the early 500s had a problem with the "catch" on the main wiring-harness connector breaking and causing the bike to shut-off while you were riding along (due to the connector no-longer making contact). I've seen 3 of them over the years do that. Solution is silicone grease in all the connector-contacts, and "safety wire" it with a couple of zip-ties.

Some of them supposedly had problems with the camshafts eating their bearing-surfaces. I don't know which, and I have no experience, and heard from no owner with that problem.

I'm amazed there are any of these left: I assumed they had all died-out quietly by the end of the Grungozoic Era, about 440,000,000 seconds-ago......
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
pplassm
Founding Member

My brother and I both had one in the last several years. His spun a bearing, and mine had the bad camshaft problem.

Luckily, we got them cheap, and recouped our investment by selling the parts on ebay.

I do not know if that is indicative of that particular bike, but I won't go near one again.

Last edited by pplassm : 03-16-2011 at 10:12 AM.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Hmm 2 for 2...

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Old 03-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

They are massively cool bikes IMO, really at the start of the Sportbike revolution along with the GPZ Kawasaki and GSXR Suzuki. That said they had significant problems with camshaft pitting and bearing failures and Honda's perennial crappy V four stators and regulator/rectifiers. I put a lot of miles on a 1984 V65 Sabre and it had the same issues crop up. They're fun and cool but unless it's almost free there are better bikes out there from that era

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:10 AM   #6
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Thanks for the alternative perspective Sarnali. I have an interest in the VFR line in general, because in many ways they have been the platform for some real innovations in motorcycles.

The bike is a grand, which sure ain't cheap. I'm going to go look at it, but if it's an old, whupped dawg, it'll stay in the trailer park. If it's a cherry that somehow escaped decades of abuse at the hands of WPB's finest....maybe it'll come home with me.

Its.......A FACT!
Old 03-17-2011, 07:18 AM   #7
pushrod
Founding Member

If you like the VFR, you'll LOVE the early ('99 - '01 or '02 - '04) Triumph Sprint ST!

They are, for all I & P, a British VFR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
Thanks for the alternative perspective Sarnali. I have an interest in the VFR line in general, because in many ways they have been the platform for some real innovations in motorcycles.

The bike is a grand, which sure ain't cheap. I'm going to go look at it, but if it's an old, whupped dawg, it'll stay in the trailer park. If it's a cherry that somehow escaped decades of abuse at the hands of WPB's finest....maybe it'll come home with me.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:25 AM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
If you like the VFR, you'll LOVE the early ('99 - '01 or '02 - '04) Triumph Sprint ST!

They are, for all I & P, a British VFR.

That would be my pick. I got a pretty generous tax return so I've been looking for a play bike myself. The Sprint is in the running along with a 'Guzzi Coppa Italia and an airhead RS. I'm just cruisin' Craigslist to see what crops up

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:09 AM   #9
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Think Green! Go Electric!

We can't putting off Saving the Planet! for another minute!

A dolphin dies every time you start that old polluter.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:39 AM   #10
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
That would be my pick. I got a pretty generous tax return so I've been looking for a play bike myself. The Sprint is in the running along with a 'Guzzi Coppa Italia and an airhead RS. I'm just cruisin' Craigslist to see what crops up
Street Triple. (Save money - buy 'pre-owned')

More fun on two wheels is tough to find.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote