Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle.Com Lounge (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/)
-   -   Chang Jiang on the way.... (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/17661-chang-jiang-way.html)

Morbo the Destroyer 02-23-2011 06:47 AM

"Remove the body off the sidecar frame, replace it with a 3/4 inch plywood platform with a flip-down ramp, with some tie-down eyelets for the chair, and away we go..."

So the operation plan is to wheel up onto the sidecar platform in the chair, hop onto the bike seat from there, and ride? And do the reverse on arrival? That would be way cool.

Start growing Velcro on your butt.

pushrod 02-23-2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer (Post 256077)
[i]
Start growing Velcro on your butt.

If he is hairy enough, all he needs is some jeans with a trapdoor ass panel and some Velcro hook on the seat!

Gah! The visual! I need to go wash out my cortex!

mscuddy 02-23-2011 08:21 AM

I'll get the photos when I go see the bike this weekend, it's in Irvine behind the Orange curtain.

Thanks for the good ideas about the diamond plate & struts. And Ken, it's got a hand shifter on the right side behind the seat, like a jocky shift. So remove hand from throttle, squeeze clutch, reach back and grab a gear.

Now I've got to figure out the linked brakes and some kind of booster for the cable operated drums that are the size of railroad car wheels.
(like Packard used back in the 30's when they still had cable vs. hydraulic brakes).

Thanks guys, can't wait. Oh and I've got a de-milled MG42 on the hot sheet from a buddy who works at Disney...

pushrod 02-23-2011 08:25 AM

Matt,

I know you haven't even seen the bike yet, but this on compatible engines, from a buddy:

"Any of the airhead bmw - r50/5 thru r100/7 basically 1970 thru about 84 - maybe later to 95 when the oilheads came out. You can do some mods and use the ural tranny for the reverse or no mods and use the BMW tranny."

mscuddy 02-23-2011 08:47 AM

Yeah PR, remember this is a copy of a 1938 BMW R71, flathead mill, so I don't think an OHV motor is a slip-in deal. I'm staying with the flathead config because, well I dig flatheads. The weak link on CJ's is the charging system and voltage regulator that makes Lucas products look like rocket science. Either you're frying the battery or it's dead all the time.

The_AirHawk 02-23-2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 256086)
Yeah PR, remember this is a copy of a 1938 BMW R71, flathead mill, so I don't think an OHV motor is a slip-in deal. I'm staying with the flathead config because, well I dig flatheads. The weak link on CJ's is the charging system and voltage regulator that makes Lucas products look like rocket science. Either you're frying the battery or it's dead all the time.

See Eastern Beaver for info on the newer-style switchmode regulators. He even sells parts to connect directly to them, and at a bargain.

For some reason, "Big T" has that site blocked. Probably thinks it's a pRon site.....

mscuddy 02-23-2011 10:31 AM

Thanks Mr. Hawk, I've got a few lines on whole wiring kits that end the CJ's issues with frying wires. Will check it out.

pushrod 02-23-2011 12:04 PM

Eastern Beaver is a great outfit! They sell a retro-fit kit for the Triumph 1050's, that allow one to replace the OEM regulator/rectifier with a MOSFET unit.

Or, you can build your own wiring with components he sells.

schizuki 02-23-2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 256084)
Oh and I've got a de-milled MG42 on the hot sheet from a buddy who works at Disney...

I knew Walt was an anti-semite, but damn...

pplassm 02-24-2011 06:22 AM