Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle.Com Lounge (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/)
-   -   The General Comes to Town (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/17521-general-comes-town.html)

Morbo the Destroyer 01-30-2011 01:52 PM

The General Comes to Town

4 Attachment(s)
A couple months ago an email arrived with an invitation to test drive a Chevy Volt. I'd been browsing their website and left my contact info. Today the kid and I drove down to Dolphins Stadium; I wasn't expecting more than a few cars and maybe some marketing stuff. Instead, GM built a small "town," with 5 or 6 large pavillions, two test tracks, and dozens of cars, trucks, vans, even police cars.

It's kind of funny how they work it, after you register and walk through "Main Street," which comprises the pavillions etc., they require you to drive two boring cars like a Malibu or Enclave, or a truck. Once you get that out of the way, you're allowed to try out the good stuff like the Volt, Camaros, and Vettes.

The Volt is cool as hell. It has a 1400cc engine that's basically a generator. The drivetrain is totally electric, and you can run the car 40 miles without ever starting the motor. If you do drain the battery, the motor will kick in and give you "extended range;" which is essentially limitless. Given my 40 mile round trip commute, I could theoretically run strictly on battery for weeks or months. It's got snappy performance, decent handling, and the interior looks like Steve Jobs (Apple) designed it. If this is the future of automobiles, it's cool with me.
http://www.chevrolet.com/volt/?seo=goo_|_2008_Chevy_Retention_|_IMG_Chevy_Volt_| _Volt_Website_|_chevy_volt_website

I drove a hardtop Camaro. and it's nice, but they had the new Camaro convertible on display. That car is absolutely stunning; it's so right, it actually makes the hardtop look like an afterthought; that they tacked a roof onto the "real" car. The lines of the body and windshield are perfect. It may be my next car; if the dealers don't get all stupid on "market pricing" them that is. They start under $30k! I'll bet there will be a waiting list and dealer markups in the thousands. We'll see; I left a leave a "buyer lead" at the show.

The Corvette convertible... They let you drive on your own in the other cars, but they had a driver/instructor in the Vettes. But, the guy said "I don't mind speed, so you can get into it if you want." I did. The last Vette I drove was a '74 C-3; they've come a long way. Everybody needs a ****in' Corvette.

It's really good to see that GM can produce a unique and innovative car like the Volt, as well as old school performance cars like the Camaro and Vette. I'm glad they didn't go under. Hell, they might be a big player someday, if they keep it up.

acecycleins 01-30-2011 05:15 PM

I'd find the 305hp v-6 camaro interesting. 30mpg and faster than all of the previous generation v-8s.

mscuddy 01-30-2011 05:44 PM

Read about how the Volt out-did Toyota with some ingenious transmission technology. We still have the technology game as no.1, it's just getting it into produciton that's the issue. Like stem cell therapy, in Europe it's widely done, giving back lots of funciton to previously paralyzed people. But here the FDA has drug its feet to the point of insanity. Oh well...

Buzglyd 01-30-2011 06:11 PM

So you think the Volt is so awesome, you're next car will be an old school throwback muscle car.

Spoken like a true lib. Make someone else buy it and force the taxpayers to subsidize it.

Morbo the Destroyer 01-31-2011 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 255159)
So you think the Volt is so awesome, you're next car will be an old school throwback muscle car.

Spoken like a true lib. Make someone else buy it and force the taxpayers to subsidize it.

The compact size of the Volt makes it attractive to sensible buyers.

Nobody's "making" anybody buy anything. The longest lines at the event were to drive the Volt, people went way out of their way for the chance. There's still plenty of stupid-big "luxury" SUVs and pickups to buy, but fewer and fewer people want them when gas is heading to $4+/gallon.

As far as the Camaro goes, it's hardly an "old-school throwback." The V6, as Kirk points out, gets 3 times the mileage the original ones did, while putting out more horsepower. It wouldn't suprise me one bit to see the Volt technology working into more of the GM line.

pushrod 01-31-2011 06:32 AM

Ken, would you be so kind as to post your pix elsewhere and link them?

I'd like to see them, but this frackin' site will never be image-friendly.

Morbo the Destroyer 01-31-2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 255168)
Ken, would you be so kind as to post your pix elsewhere and link them?

I wish I could, but UTC blocks all photo-type sites at the firewall. However, you can find the same post and photos at Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums - Powered by vBulletin under "Off-Topic." Same thread name.

Buzglyd 01-31-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer (Post 255165)
The compact size of the Volt makes it attractive to sensible buyers.

Nobody's "making" anybody buy anything. The longest lines at the event were to drive the Volt, people went way out of their way for the chance. There's still plenty of stupid-big "luxury" SUVs and pickups to buy, but fewer and fewer people want them when gas is heading to $4+/gallon.

As far as the Camaro goes, it's hardly an "old-school throwback." The V6, as Kirk points out, gets 3 times the mileage the original ones did, while putting out more horsepower. It wouldn't suprise me one bit to see the Volt technology working into more of the GM line.

You have one kid. If it aint sensible to you, it ain't sensible to anyone.

And the Fed is subsidizing the purchase of it (along with a massive bailout) so they might not be forcing people to buy it but they are forcing me to pay for it.

pplassm 01-31-2011 09:53 AM

Thanks for the report, Ken!

Morbo the Destroyer 01-31-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 255172)
You have one kid. If it aint sensible to you, it ain't sensible to anyone.

And the Fed is subsidizing the purchase of it (along with a massive bailout) so they might not be forcing people to buy it but they are forcing me to pay for it.

The car is very sensible, it's exciting new technology, it's an alternative to the same old crap, and it's going to be wildly popular if they execute the production well. I'll consider one if or when they make a convertible. I have a Mini convertible now, and the Camaro I like is also a convertible. Soft-tops are a pre-requisite for me.

Nissan was demonstrating their all-electric Leaf in Coral Springs this weekend. I didn't go, but I heard people stood in lines for hours to drive them. The market will speak when the cars hit the showrooms, given Toyota's success with the Prius, the Volt and Leaf will probably sell out.

BTW: "The Fed" subsidized the aircraft/airline industry too. I like trains, but I'm glad I can get on planes when I want to go overseas.