Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 01-31-2011, 12:06 PM   #11
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
The car is very sensible, it's exciting new technology, it's an alternative to the same old crap, and it's going to be wildly popular if they execute the production well. I'll consider one if or when they make a convertible. I have a Mini convertible now, and the Camaro I like is also a convertible. Soft-tops are a pre-requisite for me.

Nissan was demonstrating their all-electric Leaf in Coral Springs this weekend. I didn't go, but I heard people stood in lines for hours to drive them. The market will speak when the cars hit the showrooms, given Toyota's success with the Prius, the Volt and Leaf will probably sell out.

BTW: "The Fed" subsidized the aircraft/airline industry too. I like trains, but I'm glad I can get on planes when I want to go overseas.
So you're gonna kill the environment over a rag top?

The Humpback whale that I just saw jump is crying.

Murdering Big Oil! lackey.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2011, 12:09 PM   #12
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Well I want a Yugo powered by Lucas electrics, motor and all. A type C fire bottle is mandatory equip.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:38 PM   #13
schizuki
Founding Member

Electric cars always seem to be the perfect vehicle for other people. Sorta like biodiesels.

According to this analyst, the Leaf and the Volt combined will sell fewer than 120,000 units through 2015.

In a nation of 300,000,000.

Did you know that liberal environmentalists were such a tiny minority? I guess they make up for it in volume.

Other people are very uncooperative. If only there was a way to make them do the right thing. I'll bet the ignorant wretches will never ride the miraculous new high-speed rails, either.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:55 PM   #14
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizuki View Post
Electric cars always seem to be the perfect vehicle for other people. Sorta like biodiesels.

According to this analyst, the Leaf and the Volt combined will sell fewer than 120,000 units through 2015.

In a nation of 300,000,000.

Did you know that liberal environmentalists were such a tiny minority? I guess they make up for it in volume.

Other people are very uncooperative. If only there was a way to make them do the right thing. I'll bet the ignorant wretches will never ride the miraculous new high-speed rails, either.
Wow, excellent use of facts and data! And completely apolitical...I am truly impressed.

From the article:
Lindland claims that the general public will be reluctant to purchase plug-in vehicles due to a lack of recharging infrastructure and because, "There's going to be perpetual range anxiety."

The Volt solves the range anxiety issue elegantly, which is why I thought it so interesting. As for the lack of infrastructure:

Does anyone know the value of the first fax machine? Anyone? Mr. Glyd, take the pencil out of your nose and answer the question.

Nuttin.

That's right Mr. Glyd, nothing, zip, zero, nada. And what does that tell us, Mr. Glyd?

Commie Liberals!

No Mr. Glyd, the correct answer is "emerging techologies have a ramp-up period while infrastructure is developed." Thus the first fax machine was worthless, it wasn't until many people had fax machines that they reached their potential.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:31 PM   #15
pushrod
Founding Member

Here is an issue about 'lectrics that I never considered.

Of course, I live South of I-10 on purpose...

American Thinker Blog: Electrifying electric car news

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:56 PM   #16
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
Does anyone know the value of the first fax machine? Anyone? Mr. Glyd, take the pencil out of your nose and answer the question.

Nuttin.

That's right Mr. Glyd, nothing, zip, zero, nada. And what does that tell us, Mr. Glyd?

Commie Liberals!

No Mr. Glyd, the correct answer is "emerging techologies have a ramp-up period while infrastructure is developed." Thus the first fax machine was worthless, it wasn't until many people had fax machines that they reached their potential.
Emerging technology, huh?

"France and Great Britain were the first nations to support the widespread development of electric vehicles in the late 1800s. In 1899, a Belgian built electric racing car called "La Jamais Contente" set a world record for land speed - 68 mph - designed by Camille Jénatzy.

It was not until 1895 that Americans began to devote attention to electric vehicles after an electric tricycle was built by A. L. Ryker and William Morrison built a six-passenger wagon both in 1891. Many innovations followed and interest in motor vehicles increased greatly in the late 1890s and early 1900s."

Soccer has been the "sport of the future" in America since 1950. Electric cars have been an "emerging technology" twice as long.

So the over/under on the Volt and Leaf by 2015 is 160,000. I'm down for the under. Morbo's down for the over. We'll see.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:57 PM   #17
acecycleins
Founding Member

Not exactly a fair statement, Shiz. The ONLY reason electric vehicles were designed back then was because they were catering to women. If not for that the first golfcarts would not have existed.
The difference is that today you can eclipse 8 miles at 12mph with your modern e-vehicle. That's progress. Just like the flat head v-8 is a relic vs the new mustang V-6. I'm sure the Daimler family will tell you there are major differences between their first combustion auto vs the new S class.
Electric vehicles are here to stay. Now, if the 350cc rotary generator mated to the electric motors in that e-Norton come to life we will be in business.

Last edited by acecycleins : 01-31-2011 at 07:51 PM.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:32 PM   #18
schizuki
Founding Member

Ace, how are they going to be viable when even the people who think they're the cat's pajamas won't buy them? They have no advantage over a gasoline engine that matters to a car buyer. None.

Rule #1 -TANSTAAFL is ironclad. Gas prices high? Wait til you see what happens to electricity, especially since the same people who are horny for electric cars killed nuclear power in this country. Whatever materials are used in batteries will skyrocket in price as well. But it's academic as long as actual sales are limited to Ed Begley Jr.

EV manufacturers routinely over-promise and under-deliver. Oh, but just wait until our new revolutionary battery technology matures in the next three-to-five years!

Rule #2 - Anything Marketed As Green Ends Up A Disappointing Suck. Ethanol is a bad joke, our giant city windmill generates one-tenth of the promised output, and I'm one of the suckers who bought a bunch of those mercury-contaminating, crappy-light-throwing, shorter-life-than-an-incandescent curlycue lightbulbs.

I've been hearing about the just-around-the-corner practical electric car for over thirty years. At some point somebody's got to deliver. Here to stay? They haven't even arrived. I'd bet that there have been more articles about electric motorcycles in MO than there have been electric motorcycle sales to MOridians.

Rule #3 - Environmentalists Lie. Always. Anything they tout is tainted.

Barring acts of anti-market government fiat, I'll bet electrics will make up no more than 4% of car sales in 2015.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:17 AM   #19
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Shazuki posted the most text. He wins.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:48 AM   #20
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Kenneth changed the subject (again). He loses.

Charles Lane - Cold truths about electric cars' cold-weather shortcomings
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote