Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 11-16-2010, 07:12 AM   #41
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I drove the '68 GTO my Grandpa left me for thirty years, everybody hated that car, my wife, mom, uncle, so after I recovered from my first car-motorcycle accident (Got nailed I block from home on my YZ490 with the license plate, destroyed my left knee) I borrowed a grand from my uncle (to buy another dirt bike) who made the deal that I HAD to sell the GTO to pay him back...so in 1995 I sold my cherry Verdoro Green '68 GTO with the hide-a-way headlights and rally III wheels for $3,500.00 to some slack jawed idiot.

Someone shoot me....

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2010, 08:09 AM   #42
acecycleins
Founding Member

The two coolest cars I have never owned but were owned by my Dad and my Uncle:
1966 GTO Convert. 389 tri-power with a Muncie 4spd and factory air. In the course of a 3 yr period this car was stolen 3 times and drag raced between Florida and Texas. The last time it was recovered was on the pier in Detriot. The insurance company wrote my dad a check and took the car- telling him they will not insure another GTO for him.

1967 Firebird 400 w Muncie rock crusher 3spd and facotry air. Red car. Completely red interior. It's the only FACTORY car that Pontiac built that could turn 11 sec 1/4. Why? Because Deloren actually built the car for his wife and it had experimental intake, carb and exhaust on it- built off the assembly line. It was my dream car.
My Grandmother had it completely restored in 1997. Gave it to my Uncle as a 50th birthday present and the fvckstick donated it to the Nuns to aution off. It was worth nearly $75k then. It would pull nearly $125 today becasue of it's history.

Yes. My Grandfather knew Delorean personally. As well as Lee Iacocca and hundreds of other Detriot gear heads from the 40s to the 90s.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:01 AM   #43
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default After the Firebird

After the Firebird I was lucky to find a used TR6 with overdrive.I bought it from a knockout School teacher from my hometown.She had bought the car new but didn't like it and wanted something bigger.It was white with a black top and saddle interior.It only had a few thousand mile on it and still had cosmoline on some of the hard to get at places.It ran great and was one of my favourite cars of all time.I have heard that when it came to Triumphs and MGs you either got a good one or a bad one.I must have had a good one.That year I also sold my CB350 and bought a CB750.I had a hard time adjusting to the weight of the thing and the raw power scared me to death.I think it had somewhere around 60 HP.Perhaps after the collapse I will repurchase some of the old machines from my youth.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:26 AM   #44
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Pontiac muscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
The two coolest cars I have never owned but were owned by my Dad and my Uncle:
1966 GTO Convert. 389 tri-power with a Muncie 4spd and factory air. In the course of a 3 yr period this car was stolen 3 times and drag raced between Florida and Texas. The last time it was recovered was on the pier in Detriot. The insurance company wrote my dad a check and took the car- telling him they will not insure another GTO for him.

1967 Firebird 400 w Muncie rock crusher 3spd and facotry air. Red car. Completely red interior. It's the only FACTORY car that Pontiac built that could turn 11 sec 1/4. Why? Because Deloren actually built the car for his wife and it had experimental intake, carb and exhaust on it- built off the assembly line. It was my dream car.
My Grandmother had it completely restored in 1997. Gave it to my Uncle as a 50th birthday present and the fvckstick donated it to the Nuns to aution off. It was worth nearly $75k then. It would pull nearly $125 today becasue of it's history.

Yes. My Grandfather knew Delorean personally. As well as Lee Iacocca and hundreds of other Detriot gear heads from the 40s to the 90s.
Wow, how cool, JZD was a real maverick, started the muscle care madness.

Yes, Pontaic motors were very misunderstood V8's. You just couldn't bolt stuff on it, like a Chevy motor, and expect it to perform, on a Pontiac you had to match parts, like heads, cams, intakes, rocker arms, etc. or the car would run like ****.

What was the greatest experiment in futility was when Pontiac came out with the Ram Air III heads that had the big round intake ports, and got the r's up to around 5,800 max rpm's. (Pontiac V8's were torquers). But now at that high RPM the ancient design would start to bend pushrods, and break the stamped rocker arms right off the pressed-in stud. So Pontiac had to beef up the parts, which brought the reciprocating mass weight up, that dropped the revs back to around 5,400 max RPM.

Then they made good with the super rare RA IV motor that was in the '69 Judge, by correcting the rocker arm ratio and used screw-in studs, rocker arm guide plates and chrome moly push rods. RPM's went back up to around 5,800 RPM.

The '70 through '71 Goat could be ordered with this motor too, but by then the Feds had screwed up any high performance car with insane emission regs, and also changed the way we measured HP, DIN vs. SAE.

In 1976 the Pontiac motor went bye bye and everything got a Chevy motor, or Oldsmobugger. By 1980 all corporate GM motors were Chevys.

But for a while the 389's and 400's were the motor to beat, and the big indian ruled the strip. I personally liked the '64 Grand Prix with the Royal Pontiac motor and the aluminum front clip. Zero to sixty in 3.9 seconds.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:28 AM   #45
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

I worked with a guy back in the early 80's who sold his house, bought a bigass boat and moved onto it, and relocated from Cocoa Beach to Fort Lauderdale. He asked me to deliver his Camero down south for him, about 200 miles.

I don't know all the buzzwords like you guys because I was a "sports-car guy," but I do know this:

It was a 1968.
It had a ginormous (to me) V-8.
It had a 4-barrel carb that kicked in just when you thought it was done revving and snapped your head back.
It had a 2 speed automatic (Fast and Stupid Fast)
It was white outside, had a white convertible top and white interior, and really cool red stripes on the hood and trunk.
It took about $80 in gas to get to Ft. Lauderdale.

More people came up and asked about the car than anything I'd ever driven. Girls waved at me from their cars, and dudes gave me the thumbs-up. I saw what looked like the exact same car sell on one of the auction shows for about $80k. He asked me if I wanted to buy it for $3k when I got there, but I'd just bought a '72 240Z and passed.

The Z turned to rust and the Camero turned to gold. Go figure.
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:41 AM   #46
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Yes Morbo, you might of been driving a COPO modified Chevy Camero that used a Powerglide 2 speed auto. They had the white on red paint job.

Powerglyds are the original indestructable transmission, they hold about 18 quarts of ATF, and are still used in drag racing.

A COPO Camero goes for anywhere from 75K to 100K based on the year/model. My '68 GTO in the original perfect shape it was in would go for about fifty thou in today's market.

But that will all change in a few short months when gas is $10.00 a gallon, and a loaf of bread is about the same. Welcome to Weimar USA.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:42 AM   #47
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Unfortunately I always had junk cars and nice bikes. I had a '68 Fury 3 Cop car that was a screamer with a 440, cop cams, cop headers, cop posi etc. I had a cherry '69 SS Impala that my first wife got drunk and put in the ditch and a '64 Impala but it was a fo' do'. The rest of the time I drove a '70 GMC 1/2 ton and a string of $300 Pinto's which were actually runnin' little sum b*tches. At the same time I had a string of 2 Sportsters, 2 Shovelheads, a GPZ 750, a BMW K bike,.....never been much into cars I'm afraid, it's all about motor-sickles for me..

Even now I have an almost 9 year old Explorer with 150some k miles and a brand new BMW R1200GS

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #48
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I had a '68 Fury 3 Cop car that was a screamer with a 440, cop cams, cop headers, cop posi etc.
Ellwood Blues would be proud of you.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #49
pushrod
Founding Member

My first car was a '67 Corolla Station Wagon. 1200cc, four spd. Big mag wheels and oversize tires. KC driving lights. Canary yellow paint, with gold metallic window treatment on the rear three glass panels. My college commuter/Myrtle Beach cruiser.

Traded it on a '73 'Cuda. At the Toyota Dealership, yet! 340ci, with a cam I could never I.D., and a 'built' automatic. RED! paint with the black vinyl roof and the big black body stripe down the sides. Good Lord that car would 'git!' It was deadly in a straight line, and lethal in a corner! Get it to an indicated 120, and it would try to steer itself.

I traded it after a year on a new Toyota pickup in 82, before I killed myself.

The I bought a new AMC Eagle AWD wagon. What a POS! Underpowered, but also very poorly built! Gave that to the GMC dealer in Miramar if he'd sell me a shiny new Jimmy which had the 6.2L diesel. That was a long term love/hate relationship. Engine sucked, but the tranny was attached with Velcro, so all the times I had to change/repair it were easier. Finally tore those out and put a 0.20 over 350 with a built T400 in it. Finally, it was worth driving. Lost about 3mpg.

Then there was a Ram 2500 with the V-10 (shudder!), then a '67 C-10 that I was going to restore but didn't; a F-150 that I set fire to, and now a '05 Tundra.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #50
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I used to go out and buy these $3 or $400 specials, drive them in the winter then sell them in the summer for the same amount. The GMC 1/2 ton we had for almost the whole time my first wife and I were married. I just put all my money into bikes. My second wife wanted nice cars though "because of the kids" so I had to spend money on them for awhile, that's why I had my '86 NinjaZX10 for most of the 90's. After we got ahead I started buying new bikes again, specially now that I'm single. I buy whatever I want and just keep fixing the Exploder so I have something to drive.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote