Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 03-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Weird Tiger Charateristic

I've had the Tiger for over a month now and there is something really strange about it. Maybe other Triumph owners can explain this anomaly. I've been parking it in the same place now each night. Even after 5 weeks there is not one drop of oil on the garage floor. Having a Triumph without also having a big aluminum turkey pan under it to catch oil drips is disconcerting. I've never had a British bike do this. Is it normal? Have I been transported to an alternate universe? Please help.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Sounds like Rider Error.

Had you even seen a Motorcycle before you purchased this one? Are you absolutely certain it's not your Toyota Camry not-leaking oil, instead of the bike? Could it be you have a friend with access to your garage is cleaning-up the oil mess, just to play a joke on you? Have you just run the engine OUT of oil, and are trying to blame YOUR lack of mechanical-knowledge on the Factory?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
pushrod
Founding Member

Jeez, are youze a fossil!?

There's no oil in a modern motorcycle engine!

Criminy! What turnip wagon did you fall off of, anyway!?

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
Buzglyd
Founding Member

There are factory provided little, British elves that come out at night and wipe it up.

Once your warranty runs out, they do too.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

Oddly, I was talking to a former Harley owner that stated he was looking for a "sportier" bike for this season (Not leaving the cruiser world). I mentioned Triumph and he rebutted that "they aren't reliable, are they? A friend says....". My response was, "If Triumph didn't build decent bikes they wouldn't sell them with two year factory warranties". He'll be shopping for a Rocket III this week.
Enjoy your bike!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Good News

I surely hope that the good news keeps on coming. Triumph has been on my radar for a while especially when you consider the cost factor. If in fact the reliability proves to be as good as I have heard I'm not sure I can go much longer without one in my garage. I have to tell you though based on some of your other posts you may be teetering on the edge of schizophrenia. Look under that bike again. Seriously, I look forward to hearing more about your Triumph experience this year.The best long term opinions have to come from the members of this forum.
Good luck.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:21 AM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Over-tighten the chain for a few hundred miles. That'll take care of it for you.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:47 AM   #8
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I've had the Tiger for over a month now and there is something really strange about it. Maybe other Triumph owners can explain this anomaly. I've been parking it in the same place now each night. Even after 5 weeks there is not one drop of oil on the garage floor. Having a Triumph without also having a big aluminum turkey pan under it to catch oil drips is disconcerting. I've never had a British bike do this. Is it normal? Have I been transported to an alternate universe? Please help.
I believe there is an aftermarket part for this.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:24 AM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

******SECURE THE ENGINE IMMEDIATELY, YOU RISK SEVERE ENGINE DAMAGE IF YOU CONTINUE TO OPERATE THE VEHICLE WITH NO OIL IN THE CRANKCASE*******

Everyone knows the only reason Brit bikes don't leak is because there's no oil left.......

I recommend Amsoil!!!

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:27 AM   #10
pushrod
Founding Member

jmcdonald, I've been in the Triumph world fairly deep now for eight years, and I have yet to see an 'issue' with any of the new ('91 and on) bikes.

The only issue that has any notoriety is the plastic fuel fittings on the tank. But, Ducati and BMW have had the same issue.

The suspensions tend to be set up for lighter loads. The chrome on the older Bonnies and T-birds was prone to pitting, and some of the rubber bits disintegrate, but overall, the bikes are bulletproof.

And, unlike the earlier bikes, the headlights work and the oil stays in the motor.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote