Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle.Com Lounge (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/)
-   -   Flippin' Skunks!!!! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/14761-flippin-skunks.html)

sarnali2 03-22-2010 07:46 AM

Flippin' Skunks!!!!

Riding in this morning on wet roads at 0-dark-30 I had to take a detour through Algona because of some road work. It's a pretty rinky-dink town, when I was growing up we used to call it The Swamp because of it's high water table. At any rate here I am pulling up to the light at the only 4 way intersection in town, there's a car next to me and I notice a white plastic bag being blown across the street behind the car and in front of me. Then I get a snoot full and realize it wasn't a bag but a durn pole-cat farting his way across traffic! I nail the throttle to get out of there but still have to ride through the little gasbags cloud......

Fortunately the drizzle and 75 mph commute washed a lot of it off, but sitting here in my sumptuous boiler room office with my coat hanging up next to me Is a gentle reminder of spring..

The_AirHawk 03-22-2010 08:23 AM

Incontinent skunk, probably had rabies.

They only use that spray as a "last resort" because the smell is offensive to them as well. Unless they're sick - and according to the local Wildlife dept. the most-common sickness in Skunks, Raccooons, an Opossums is Rabies.

I used to live in an apartment-complex that was F'n lousy with 'em - more Skunks than cats in the neighborhood - unless you ran up on 'em a bit too fast in the dark (in which case you'd get a "flag" that you'd best pay-attention to), they essentially ignored you and went about their business. Never smelled 'em. Even had one wander into the apartment once (ground floor). I just stamped my feet and growled, and he turned-tail and lit outta there ("there's a BIG animal in THAT cave.......").

seruzawa 03-22-2010 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 237631)
Incontinent skunk, probably had rabies.

They only use that spray as a "last resort" because the smell is offensive to them as well. Unless they're sick - and according to the local Wildlife dept. the most-common sickness in Skunks, Raccooons, an Opossums is Rabies.

I used to live in an apartment-complex that was F'n lousy with 'em - more Skunks than cats in the neighborhood - unless you ran up on 'em a bit too fast in the dark (in which case you'd get a "flag" that you'd best pay-attention to), they essentially ignored you and went about their business. Never smelled 'em. Even had one wander into the apartment once (ground floor). I just stamped my feet and growled, and he turned-tail and lit outta there ("there's a BIG animal in THAT cave.......").

My dog has spent many a night outside after chasing those danged things. I'm sure he thought it smelled great.

The_AirHawk 03-22-2010 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 237632)
My dog has spent many a night outside after chasing those danged things. I'm sure he thought it smelled great.

My Aunt had this Great Dane that was the F'n BANE of Skunks everywhere. He'd run up to one, snatch it up, and rip it to shreds (literally!), and come trotting back with no smell on him 'cept maybe around his mouth. HOW the Hell a dog THAT big could sneak up on those things without being sprayed is a mystery.

I guess he didn't waste time like most dogs with the "WOOFWOOWOOFWOOF!!!" crap, and just got down to Killin'.

sarnali2 03-22-2010 08:52 AM

Algona seems to be ground zero for them around here. We lived there for a couple of years and you see and smell them quite a bit. I guess this one was scared of the cars or something because he lit the place up pretty good.

I actually beaned one on my '80 FLH. The little sod came running out of the weeds straight into the axle nut cover on the front wheel as I was riding by. Knocked him ass over tea kettle down the road dead as a doornail. I rode by there the next day and he was pretty ripe.

Buzglyd 03-22-2010 08:54 AM

People trip out at my house when they see the wildlife cruise by. I've got possums, raccoons, skunks, you name it.

My cat goes after everything but the raccoons. Smart cat.

Dr_Sprocket 03-22-2010 05:10 PM

I'm sorry. I laughed when I read your post. Good thing I wasn't drinking at the time!

Kenneth_Moore 03-22-2010 06:00 PM

a durn pole-cat farting his way across traffic

You don't read that sentence every day...

12er 03-23-2010 09:14 AM

Late one night I went for a mountain bike ride down my favorite single track (I have a two beam niterider that car's have flashed their high beams at me) On the way back from my half way point I see a fluffy tail in the track ahead. As I get closer the tail shoots up and its not a cat... It takes off doing the pepe le pew hop straight down the trail. Since there was tall grass on either side the skunk could not be bothered by veering off. I must have followed that thing 600 yards before it finally left the trail. It would get tired, slow down, I'd roll up and that tail would go up. I'd slow, it would speed up then get tired again... Luckily no tomato juice bath for me.

Buzglyd 03-23-2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12er (Post 237724)
Late one night I went for a mountain bike ride down my favorite single track (I have a two beam niterider that car's have flashed their high beams at me) On the way back from my half way point I see a fluffy tail in the track ahead. As I get closer the tail shoots up and its not a cat... It takes off doing the pepe le pew hop straight down the trail. Since there was tall grass on either side the skunk could not be bothered by veering off. I must have followed that thing 600 yards before it finally left the trail. It would get tired, slow down, I'd roll up and that tail would go up. I'd slow, it would speed up then get tired again... Luckily no tomato juice bath for me.

It would take the entire output of the San Joaquin valley to fill your tub.