Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 03-18-2010, 07:34 AM   #21
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
But..... but.... the Firebike! The Black Widow bike-thingie! How can they possibly deprive this world of the creative genius that gave us all of those Works of Art?

The skill they showed us as they unboxed parts and tried to bolt together super innovative catalog customs......The genius of drilling holes in frames right into the rear tire, then actually CHANGING THE TIRE!!!!!!! I know I was impressed.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2010, 07:48 AM   #22
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
The skill they showed us as they unboxed parts and tried to bolt together super innovative catalog customs......The genius of drilling holes in frames right into the rear tire, then actually CHANGING THE TIRE!!!!!!! I know I was impressed.
I guess I missed that episode. The last thing I saw from them, I was over at the Mom-in-law's flippin' channels, hoping something, anything intelligent was on the Idjit Box (HA!) - and paused for a moment to stare while the Dumbest one (Mikey I think) drove some truck into a Lake, just for Shiggles.

I think the last time before that, I saw the Dumbest one (again, I detect a pattern here) drove a forklift (WHO the F-Bomb let him on that thing?!?!?!) into the back of a truck, piercing sheetmetal with the forks. Once more on purpose, I surmised......

The only person they ever stuck in front of a camera that had an inkling of sense was Vinny - and I hear that he used that sense to GTFO.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 03-18-2010 at 07:50 AM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:02 AM   #23
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

The only episode i watched the goofball heavyset one (Mickey?) was drilling into the frame rail for foot pegs or something and went right through into the tire, one of those 240 Avons. The dad gets all pissed and yells at him he's going to have to fix it etc......

A bit too much for me I'm afraid. At least Jesse James is fabricator with some real skill in metal work. I don't think those other guys could pour piss out of a boot.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:20 AM   #24
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
A bit too much for me I'm afraid. At least Jesse James is fabricator with some real skill in metal work. I don't think those other guys could pour piss out of a boot.
If the instructions was hot-stamped on the heel!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:39 AM   #25
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Those comments you read, those are your 'neighbors' talking. How do you feel about em now?
Oh, yeah. It's us freedom-loving angels versus the big-bad world. So we've got license to do whatever we want. Jesus Christ.

You know who else your 'neighbors' are? The old guy who walked over to me when I was on the side of the road because my bike stalled and wouldn't restart after I was ten miles from work where my buddy jump-started me. He offered to get me his battery booster, but my wife was already on her way with jumper cables.

If you ever crash, and one of your 'neighbors' stops to render assistance, give 'em a righteous "F*** you!" That'll show 'em.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #26
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
I stand by my stance on being considerate but the D&D's aren't that loud and I short shift and basically idle through the neighborhood so I feel I've done the best I can.
In all seriousness, I've heard Harleys with performance (as opposed to open) pipes, and when they're going at low revs, it's more deep and mellow than barky. What I'm contending with all summer is the idiots who go full bore past my house every ten minutes at WOT with open pipes. And I'm in a town neighborhood that's posted 25 mph.

I'd be willing to bet that if your attitude is "being considerate" rather than "f*** 'em!", your low-rev passes with the D&D's are fairly unobtrusive.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:11 AM   #27
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

These are louder than stock but much quieter than many others. The writing is on the wall now with most manufactures offering some kind of quieter version of their performance pipe so we'll see how it goes. These definitely wake up a few horsepower in this motor so I would like to keep them on and I like the slash down look.

Right now I'm going by the "dirty look" method, so far people aren't giving me dirty looks or even glancing my way when I ride past so I assume I'm not being too objectionable

Old 03-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #28
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
The writing is on the wall now with most manufactures offering some kind of quieter version of their performance pipe so we'll see how it goes.
Yeah, that's definitely a good trend.

Quote:
These definitely wake up a few horsepower in this motor so I would like to keep them on and I like the slash down look.
I hear ya. I hate the look of the XR1200, but with Storz's BUB pipes it looks great. Unfortunately Motorcyclist says it's too loud. Maybe they'll offer an alternative.

What gets me is the guys who run straight pipes that usually lose horsepower, just so they can make as much noise as possible. Sad and stupid.

The quality of the sound makes a huge difference, too. A P-51 can be louder than a Cessna, but can have a lower perceived volume because it's mellower. I've heard Ducatis with performance pipes that were more pleasant to hear than stock inline-fours, even though they were a few decibels louder.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:29 AM   #29
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I shopped around for a while before I got these, they have the same internal diameter as the stock pipes and just use sound absorbing material wrapped around a core instead of cross baffles. By being open they increase flow but by pinching down to an inch and half or so still create enough backpressure to scavenge the exhaust charge and boost torque.

I'd be happy getting the same performance and sound like the stock ones, I don't like loud pipes either but I think these are a good compromise. If they start bothering me I'll just take them back off again LOL

Old 03-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #30
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"You know who else your 'neighbors' are?"

I don't really care to put it in a nutshell.