Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 03-11-2010, 08:40 AM   #1
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Tiger update.

Well, I've had the 2007 Tiger 1050 for about 3 weeks now and have managed to put about 400 miles on it between snowstorms. Of all the bikes I've owned or ridden extensively this one is by far head and shoulders above the rest. It seems that about every ten years there is a quantum leap in motorcycle technology. The Tiger handles better than any bike I have ever owned. Nothing I have owned or ridden enough to become familiar with has anything close to the same effortless power and ability to smooth out a rough road. And the bonus is it is lighter than any large displacement bike I've owned since the '69 Bonneville. Yes I really like this bike and if you haven't ridden one of Triumph's 1050cc triples you owe it to yourself to get a test ride. Personally the overblown weight of the supposed "sport tourers" from Japan and Germany turned me off. This bike is so much lighter that if you try this bike or the SprintST out you will see the total lie of the "carries its weight well" claim. I'll bet that longride with his Buell has noticed the same thing by now.

The bike was a demonstrator. A couple of days after I picked it up a snowstorm came through and it sat for three days. When I tried to start it the battery was low. I called the dealer (BMW of Salt Lake nee Accolade). They sent a truck out, picked it up, put in a new battery and tested the charging circuit and trucked it back to me in 3 days. I know that this dealer has had a lot of bad reviews and dissatisfied customers but I can hardly complain about the service. Maybe the recent appearance of a second BMW/Triumph dealer 3 blocks from my house had something to do with that.

My wife likes the passenger seat but she'll need a gel pad or airhawk cushion for all day rides. I might too but haven't put on longer than an hour at a time yet. The seat's been acceptable so far though if a little hard. She also isn't overjoyed about sitting so high.

I've noticed that some people complain about the softness of the fork but I honestly have no idea what they are talking about.

The bike came with the full Triumph luggage set for $500 extra. The regular price for the set is about $1500. However I wouldn't buy the Triumph luggage if I had to shell out full price. The latches are strange and take some fiddling. But the main problem is that they stick out pretty far to the sides, have very thick walls and really don't hold a lot. The luggage rack is very sturdy though.

I've added a Calsci +9 windshield but haven't had a chance to test it out yet. I'll post up how it works when I do.

I'm going to order some barbacks from SW-Motech this week. The reach to the bars is a bit aggressive for all day touring. Also soon on the order list is a centerstand kit and perhaps the 40mm lowering kit.

If you are looking for a do-all bike that runs like lightning and looks pretty good you can't beat the Tiger.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
pplassm
Founding Member

Sounds like a great bike!
Old 03-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Long Term Updates

I hope you continue with the long term updates. This is a bike I am interested in (along with many others) and there is no better long term analysis than that that comes from the members of this forum. Ride Safe.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Good deal, new Triumphs are excellent bikes

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Well, Woods WAS one horny muthaf#%&er........

Oh! - You meant the Triumph Tiger!

Mea Culpa.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
12er
Founding Member

Yes, keep up the reports please, its the #1 bike on my radar.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Did you ever post photos of the Tiger?

Comparing the Tiger to the VStrom: the Tiger has an edge in power; the Triumph site posts 113 hp, presumably at the crank. Most reviews of the Vee say 100 hp, with 75 ft/lbs torque, about the same as the Tiger. Weight listed for the Vee is 456 lbs, versus 436 lbs for the Tiger. The Tiger has a bit shorter wheelbase at 59", the Vee is 60". But, the bottom line is that they are brothers from different mothers. We can see they had the same stylist in these revealing photos:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TigerSE_2010_gallery1M_534x309.jpg (66.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg V2.jpg (3.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg V3.jpg (3.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Tiger 2.jpg (3.8 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 03-11-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
pushrod
Founding Member

I've done a few miles on one of the 1050 Tigers, and it is one of very few bikes I'd consider buying if I was to get rid of my Sprint ST.

Wonderful bike, great ergoes. With the Arrow pipe, the 1050 sings a beautiful tune!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Did you ever post photos of the Tiger?

Comparing the Tiger to the VStrom: the Tiger has an edge in power; the Triumph site posts 113 hp, presumably at the crank. Most reviews of the Vee say 100 hp, with 75 ft/lbs torque, about the same as the Tiger. Weight listed for the Vee is 456 lbs, versus 436 lbs for the Tiger. The Tiger has a bit shorter wheelbase at 59", the Vee is 60". But, the bottom line is that they are brothers from different mothers. We can see they had the same stylist in these revealing photos:
My friend Mike has an 08 DL1000. One day when we were riding to Park City I traded my ZRX1100 with Mike and we rode over Guradsman's Pass and down the canyon to Salt Lake. I loved the DL and frankly I was lined up to check out a used one the weekend I test rode the Tiger. If not for the great deal on the Tiger I would have very likely gone for the Strom.... though the Bandit 1250 is also a very attractive deal right now.

Stats aside there's no doubt that the Tiger is faster then the DL. Though in real world terms the difference is minimal. Hard to beat the triple snarl though and the triple has a better high end hit and a tad weaker low range than the V-twin. But I would expect that. You couldn't go wrong with either bike.

Either way, no more 600+ lb monstrosities for me. No matter how much some people pretend the weight "disappears".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tiger.jpg (78.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Tiger (2).jpg (82.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #10
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Wow, it's scary how much the Tiger looks like the Vee in your shots.

That top case is HUGE!!! Weight difference? You could smuggle 1/2 dozen Hatians in that topbox. I finally got one for my bike, Givi V46 I think it is. It's hard to get used to the look of the thing, but it clearly is superior in regard to keeping the bike skinny when I'm doing the rush hour commute. And it's easier to toss groceries into; the side bags are clumsy for small items.