Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 03-14-2010, 10:12 AM   #41
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
If it is, I can't even imagine what we could call YOU!!! I don't think words have been invented that could express my outrage!
It's a Muzzy on the AirHawk - if that tells you anything. HOWEVER, when the packing finally blew-out, I repacked it using Kaowool ceramic-fibre. (I'm a boiler guy, I got access to this stuff, Yo!)

It WAS Bloody Loud, 'til I repacked it. Now, not so much. Strangely enough, the tone is deeper now too.

It was on the bike when I got it - as it weighs 3lb and the stocker weighs some 32lbs; on a bike as small as a HawkGT - it's a no-brainer. Unpacked, it was The World's Loudest HawkGT(tm). Packed, it's quieter than an M4 pipe with aluminium silencer. WAAAY quieter than any straight-piped Harley.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 03-14-2010 at 10:17 AM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2010, 11:15 AM   #42
seruzawa
The Toad

Longride's really been on one lately, even attacking schizuki. I think it's because of the long never ending winter. I'll bet once the weather clears up a bit and he can get some riding in he'll revert back to the usual level of @ssholeness we've all come to love.

Can't blame him. Usually each year on St Patrick's Day we ride a bike to the family celebration of corned beef, cabbage, Murphy's Stout and hot tubbing ay my cousin's house. Yesterday it was a blizzard again and had to drive the 3/4 ton. Sucks!!! I've had the Triumph a month now and only managed 400 miles on it. Double sucks!!!

Wait. Longride is right. You're all a buncha stupid @ssholes!!!!
Old 03-14-2010, 11:54 AM   #43
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Wait. Longride is right. You're all a buncha stupid @ssholes!!!!
Hey, there! I resemble that remark!
Old 03-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #44
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Longride's really been on one lately, even attacking schizuki. I think it's because of the long never ending winter. I'll bet once the weather clears up a bit and he can get some riding in he'll revert back to the usual level of @ssholeness we've all come to love."

Yeah it was me again that was on the attack. God knows it was me that attacked him. It was all me. I guess you feel bad for giving everyone a lecture about loud pipes, and then I found that pipe on your bike is an illegal loud one too, and in my typical level of assholeness, pointed out that out. Again, I guess it was me that started calling you an ******* right? I was 'on the attack' again. Right. So I guess your illegal pipe is better than my illegal pipe too?
Old 03-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #45
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Apples and oranges. The argument isn't about stock vs. non-stock. The argument is about total noise level (dB), and how loud (agreeable subjective) exhausts piss more people off than make people happy. Go around pissing people off enough and they will make a law so you can't piss them off anymore.

Another point is the frequency of the noise. Big twin exhausts have a lower frequency which is transmitted farther than higher frequency. That's one can feel the base of that stupid rice-burner tuner car as he drives by my house every weekend. A Yoshi exhaust will not be perceived as loud as a big twin exhuast of the same dB because the higher frequencies don't have the penetration power of the lower frequencies.

And, yes, people do put on exhausts simply to be louder and grab attention. (I think we argued this one before). That's the whole basis of "loud pipes save lives" argument -- the get driver's attention. Why would someone want to do that? What reasonable excuse is there to put on a loud exhaust just to have a louder exhaust? I have a friend that has a Honda Valkyrie, with plenty enough power for any sane person. He put on Cobra pipes because he wanted it louder. About a year ago, I asked him why he went back to stock. His answer: "Because it was just too loud."

Listen, I don't like the government meddling any more than you do. However, if we (motorcyclist) can't police ourselves, the do-gooders will be more than happy to do it for us.

The argument is that somebody with an illegal loud pipe is telling someone else theirs is too loud. It's like a drunk telling another drunk he drinks too much. If you have an illegal pipe on your bike, you really need to keep your pie hole shut about loud exhausts. More to the point, I guess if we all don't start watching our salt intake, the governement will ban it and then we can't have any. Makes sense to me.

Last edited by longride : 03-14-2010 at 03:27 PM.
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #46
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Wait. Longride is right. You're all a buncha stupid @ssholes!!!!"

My favorite:
What you lookin' at? You all a bunch of ****in' a$$holes. You know why? You don't have the guts to be what you wanna be? You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your ****in' fingers and say, "That's the bad guy." So... what that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide, how to lie. Me, I don't have that problem. Me, I always tell the truth. Even when I lie. So say good night to the bad guy! Come on. The last time you gonna see a bad guy like this again, let me tell you. Come on. Make way for the bad guy. There's a bad guy comin' through! Better get outta his way!
Old 03-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #47
mugwump58
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
Look at what Clinton did to the remaining stock of M-1 Garand Rifles. Collectible antiques, and cut them up, crushed them and they are long gone!

Anyway, thanks for the giggle.....
Get yer CMP Garand here

You do of course realize that someday they will all be gone, it's not like they grow on trees. I'll accept donations of an International, thanks.

Last edited by mugwump58 : 03-14-2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: forgot a "y" :)
mugwump58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:55 PM   #48
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default Where in the world...

Where in the world is Crashley when we need her? (The OGs of MO will remember her. ASR, you're too young to remember.)

In her honor, a reprise of her article titled "Put a Cork In It": http://www.motorcycle.com/how-to/ran...n-it-3413.html
Old 03-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #49
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Where in the world is Crashley when we need her? (The OGs of MO will remember her. ASR, you're too young to remember.)

In her honor, a reprise of her article titled "Put a Cork In It": http://www.motorcycle.com/how-to/ran...n-it-3413.html
I thought she sold MO to KDuke and Co. for One Brazillion Dollars, then retired to the French Riviera to open a Thai Restaurant (or is that got drunk on Thai liquour and drove a Buick Riviera through a French Restaurant? I can never keep it straight).
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:14 PM   #50
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

She's right though, "they don't want you rattling their windows and they don't care about your 99%'r weekend rebellion"

I actually feel kinda' bad about the whole thing, I mean me screwing around with my pipes then getting the guilties and going back stock kinda' kicked over the anthill here. Now everybody is tossing F Bombs and calling each other A holes......

I really think you guys have too much time on your hands to get so wound up, I haven't had a day off since the middle of January since my counterpart on 1st shift retired. The hiring process here is ponderous at best and a little rusty of late. Makes no difference to me, the weather stinks, my old lady is working as many hours as I am and the kids are grown. May as well make money while it's there to be made...

I do feel bad about the whole loud pipe thing though and was wondering if you think it's OK to put car oil in my bike? I know M/C Specific oil is expensive and I don't see why I should pay so much, M1 15w50 redcap used to be good but what about now.........Anyone heard of "Amsoil" ?....is it any good? ....will using Shell Rotella in my bike void the warranty even though 15w40 HDEO is one of the recommended oils for my bike?......what about "Bearing Skate"?.....Is that an issue?.......

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote