Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 02-27-2010, 07:36 AM   #61
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Dude, I understand you perfectly. If you aren't doing anything seriously illegal, and you aren't doing it to piss anyone off, then have some fun and screw those who don't like it. I'm sure you will put the pipes back on one day, and have a blast. I hope the others here will be as warm and understanding as I am.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2010, 07:38 AM   #62
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
The funniest part is that old Sarnali snookered himself, and can't ever ride or purchase a bike with an aftermarket exhaust again, otherwise he will "deafen small children, ruin nice summer days, and be a general loud obnoxious a$$hole" again to paraphrase a wonderful, considerate poster here who himself would never think of riding a loud motorcycle and, as you can see by his thoughful comment, takes everyone's feelings into account with everthing he does.
There is a difference between cool loud and obnoxious loud. Prob is, there is no definitive standard, it's all opinion. Some of my neighbors probably think my Buell is "loud" with its "bone stock" exhaust.

Quote:
We know that none of the other name-calling, butt-kissing posters here ever rode, or currently ride, a bike with a loud exhaust, especially the considerate poster I quoted above. Just take THAT thought right out of your mind! That stuff is only ... See the difference?
Don't follow.

So what if we never did? Or, so what if we did have loud exhausts at one time, and now don't. Sarnali's ego is intact. My ego is intact. I don't need a loud exhaust to be a badass. Heck! I'm not even a bad-ass to begin with. I'm a rider. I ride (more than many other H-D/Victory/Yamahamazook cruiser wannabees). Big deal! If you try a mod and you don't like it and go back to stock, no bigs. At least he tried it.

I won't buy one because I can't even use all the power I have now in my bike. I don't want a mod if it doesn't a) give me more power, b) provide better braking or c) make my bike better handling. Any other mod is just posturing and posing (that's pretty much a large portion of the H-D catalogue).
Old 02-27-2010, 07:50 AM   #63
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"There is a difference between cool loud and obnoxious loud. Prob is, there is no definitive standard, it's all opinion."

Then I would say don't foist your opinion on others about what is too loud and what isn't. Not only do your neighbors probably hate the sound of your Buell, they most likely hate that you ride it at all. F*ck them. Do you care? I don't.

"So what if we never did? Or, so what if we did have loud exhausts at one time, and now don't. Sarnali's ego is intact. My ego is intact. I don't need a loud exhaust to be a badass. Heck! I'm not even a bad-ass to begin with. I'm a rider."

I'm a rider too. If my exhaust is quieter than yours, does that make me better than you? If it's louder, doesn it make me worse than you? What does a loud exhaust have to do with 'ego' and 'being a badass'?? I can't for the life of me figure out that connection. Some of the biggest egos I've ever seen are lawyers that drive BMW's. And they are QUIET! Maybe you can explain the connection between sound, ego, and badass to me, because you somehow connect those dots, but I never could. It's the same thought process that if I call someone stupid, or say screw the neighbors, then I need Xanax and am an angry, bitter guy. Why exactly would I be angry because someone is a moron and I don't give a shyt what the neighbors think? It doesn't make me one bit angry, in fact not giving a shyt about my neighbors and morons gives me the much more freedom than the guy that does. How would that make me angry?

"I don't want a mod if it doesn't a) give me more power, b) provide better braking or c) make my bike better handling."

Well then I guess you just set the definitive standard of what we all should want, otherwise we are all just posturing and posing. Not that anyone could just like something outside your narrow-minded standard without doing either.

Last edited by longride : 02-27-2010 at 07:55 AM.
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:09 AM   #64
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Then I would say don't foist your opinion on others about what is too loud and what isn't. Not only do your neighbors probably hate the sound of your Buell, they most likely hate that you ride it at all. F*ck them. Do you care? I don't..
There are laws that say what is too loud. I think that is THE standard. Do I care? No. Do I try to "foist my opinion"? No. My opinion is just that... and opinion. Unlike your opinion, which we all know is fact.

Quote:
I'm a rider too. If my exhaust is quieter than yours, does that make me better than you? If it's louder, doesn it make me worse than you? What does a loud exhaust have to do with 'ego' and 'being a badass'?? .
I believe some people, not all, buy loud exhausts to get attention -- EGO. I don't think everyone buys loud exhausts for the performance potential.

Quote:
It's the same thought process that if I call someone stupid, or say screw the neighbors, then I need Xanax and am an angry, bitter guy. Why exactly would I be angry because someone is a moron and I don't give a shyt what the neighbors think?
Uhhh... that wasn't me.

Quote:
Well then I guess you just set the definitive standard of what we all should want
Nope, you already did that. Thanks!

Quote:
Not that anyone could just like something outside your narrow-minded standard without doing either.
Is it my standard that is narrow? Or yours? Hmmm.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:34 AM   #65
seruzawa
The Toad

Jeeeez. All I said is that loud exhausts tend to draw the attention of the cops more than quiet ones and one might attract more attention if he rides around with loud pipes. This is also true. I've even had a cop tell me this.

Didn't mean to start a revolution. Maybe if everyone had Ironhead projects they wouldn't have the time or energy left to argue.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:48 AM   #66
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default Longride is a Johnny Weir fan?

Check out what Johnny Weir says about freedom and individuality. Who knew LR and he would agree?

Yahoo! Video Detail for johnny weir

It relates to what we've been debating here, about motorcycles, individuality and freedoms. Food for thought.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #67
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Different people do things for different reasons. Some buy a pipe for performance, whether they can handle or need it. Some buy a pipe for the different routing, or cosmetic appearance (the audible difference, or performance to them isnt key). Others buy a pipe for the sole purpose of attracting attention to themselves, like a loud car stereo, its disruptive and annoying IN MY OPINION. If someone finds themself enjoying their bike more because it's louder, good for them, are they enjoying the noise, or enjoying the attention? A 1980 vega with no exhaust attracts the same attention. Do they play CD's titled "engine noise" to relax? I dobut it because its really the attention they seek and dont want to hear it anymore then the neighbors or bystanders. Dont stand there with no helmet on & try to sell me on the loud pipes save lives argument, that is total ignorance.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #68
A Star Ride
Registered Member

That said the market is full of people who own or have owned motorcycles altogether because they thought it would change their life in some way.
A guy I worked with has a great bike, he rode it to work 2 times in 5 years, I invited him on club rides, etc dozens of times & no show. Wont ride it to work because (his words) "would look silly wearing dress pants on that thing". He is the type that will be selling a 10 year old bike with 3000 miles on it finally facing the realization he dont have time to enjoy it, fact is all he has to do is ride & enjoy it when he is going somewhere when no kids in tow (like I do). Now he makes a point of making sure everyone knows he has it, sign in office, window sticker, plate frame, t-shirts, & general conversation about it as often as possable. What kind of false joy is this man enjoying? To me it would be agony to own one & not ride it anymore often then he does. I bet I rode more in the last 2 weeks (under 40 degrees) then he rode all last 2 years. Sorry for the rant.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #69
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Unlike your opinion, which we all know is fact."

Is that your opinion or fact? Who is 'we'?? Name the people in 'we'.

"I believe some people, not all, buy loud exhausts to get attention -- EGO. I don't think everyone buys loud exhausts for the performance potential."

Is that your opinion or fact? Tell me the name of someone you know that told you they got a loud exhaust to get attention. Still no explination at to the 'badass' reference though. Can't explain that one?

"Is it my standard that is narrow? Or yours? Hmmm."

Yours is narrow by your own words. 'We' all know how narrow minded you are.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #70
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Check out what Johnny Weir says about freedom and individuality. Who knew LR and he would agree?"

I hate to say it, but I didn't check it out. Honestly, I have no idea who Johnny Weir is, nor do I really care to know. It really doesn't matter if 'you', 'they', or 'we' agree with me. I don't base anything I do or say on that. If Johnny Weir, whoever he is, happens to agree, great. If not, oh well.