Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 02-21-2010, 07:01 AM   #1
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Default Done the Ton

Got the ol' beastie up over 100 this morning for the first time. With the stock exhaust it would trundle up to about 98 and just hang there gagging on it's own waste. After I put the D&D's on I noticed a bit more seat o' the pants power and in fact D&D claims a 7 hp and 7 pound foots of torque boost with the stock intake and jetting (or fuel map as the case may be) but I never put it to the test.

Except this morning.......O' dark thirty, 35 degrees out and not a sinner in sight, so I just let it build up and walked it right up to 105 and climbing. Not too bad for an otherwise stock bagger specially hauling me around as I'm not as svelte as I once was....

Yes I know your YamaHondaZookiVictoryTriDucati will do 100 in second gear with the engine off....good for you, this is a first for this particular bike and I'm still grinin' .....sounded pretty dam* good too, those cans really howl at 5 grand.......

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 02-21-2010 at 07:07 AM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2010, 07:36 AM   #2
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Got the ol' beastie up over 100 this morning for the first time. With the stock exhaust it would trundle up to about 98 and just hang there gagging on it's own waste. After I put the D&D's on I noticed a bit more seat o' the pants power and in fact D&D claims a 7 hp and 7 pound foots of torque boost with the stock intake and jetting (or fuel map as the case may be) but I never put it to the test.
Better not let Ace here that.

How'd she feel? Stable?
Old 02-21-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Better not let Ace here that.

How'd she feel? Stable?
Oh yeah, no problems steady as a rock...

Old 02-21-2010, 08:31 AM   #4
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You got some stones dude. I don't know if I would ever have the nerve to ride a geezer glide that fast.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Pretty good Engineer Steve. Fastest I ever got was about 100 or so across Nevada on the Shovelhead. On the slight down hill just south of Glendale. Took a bit to wind out. No fairing. I'll bet your TC96 makes a bit less clatter though.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I had mine up to about 95 or so once. I topped my old GoldWing out once and it was limited at 112 or something. Fun to do every once in a while.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:20 AM   #7
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Throttle response is the best gain, soon as you tap that throttle she goes! Enjoy it! And did you wake your neighbors?
Old 02-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Yeah it did really good. I'm running 36/42 in the tires and 25 lbs in the shock and it was very stable, it was climbing past 105 when I rolled off, I held it for a minute or so for grins then rolled off to about 80 for the rest of the ride in. There's a couple of mile long straight stretch with decent asphalt and no hidy spots for the Fuzz so it's a pretty good run. The bike sounds close to stock at idle so I just short-shift through my neighborhood and be gentle with it. Up around 4 or 5k it sounds good but still not like Drag Pipes, I think D&D did a really good job on these of balancing flow and back pressure for a smooth curve. Their dyno report shows a nice linear curve smoother than stock actually and the stainless construction is excellent quality. You can definitely feel a difference at higher rpms, the stockers just couldn't flow enough to allow the engine to breath though in normal usage they were fine.

I suppose at some point I'll add a mild cam but I'm limited by the stock airbox, I don't want to change that because it works great in the rain and that's something you have to contend with most of the year around here. I bike that sucks water is one that don't get much use and that's not going to work for me so for now the pipes are it, the performance boost is tangible and they look and sound good too.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:52 AM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"I suppose at some point I'll add a mild cam but I'm limited by the stock airbox,.."

You are mostly limited by the flow of the heads. Have the heads ported or you will waste adding a cam. 100hp 100tq is real easy to get with your bike, then you can stand it up on the mufflers to impress your friends.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #10
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Yeah it did really good. I'm running 36/42 in the tires and 25 lbs in the shock and it was very stable, it was climbing past 105 when I rolled off, I held it for a minute or so for grins then rolled off to about 80 for the rest of the ride in. There's a couple of mile long straight stretch with decent asphalt and no hidy spots for the Fuzz so it's a pretty good run. The bike sounds close to stock at idle so I just short-shift through my neighborhood and be gentle with it. Up around 4 or 5k it sounds good but still not like Drag Pipes, I think D&D did a really good job on these of balancing flow and back pressure for a smooth curve. Their dyno report shows a nice linear curve smoother than stock actually and the stainless construction is excellent quality. You can definitely feel a difference at higher rpms, the stockers just couldn't flow enough to allow the engine to breath though in normal usage they were fine.

I suppose at some point I'll add a mild cam but I'm limited by the stock airbox, I don't want to change that because it works great in the rain and that's something you have to contend with most of the year around here. I bike that sucks water is one that don't get much use and that's not going to work for me so for now the pipes are it, the performance boost is tangible and they look and sound good too.
25 lbs PSI in the shocks? I used to run 5 when I rode solo and 10 two up. Are you sure? Do they even deflect at that pressure?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote