Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle.Com Lounge (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/)
-   -   J Frame (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/14405-j-frame.html)

sarnali2 02-15-2010 07:27 PM

J Frame

I picked up a S&W 442 today for a personnal carry. I liked the LCP but I had it fail to feed a few times and that's not good in a tight spot. It was most likely the sh*tty reloads a guy gave me as it worked fine with Federal hydrashocks. Anyway it brought back memories of my S&W 59 back in the 80's that jammed more than it fired. I guess at heart I just like wheel guns.

Anyway it was between this and the new Ruger LCR which is similar in weight and size, the Ruger lists at 13.5 oz while this 442 is 14.5 oz, both chamber 5 .38sp+P's and both are within $100. of each other. I wound up with the 442 because it just fit my hand better. My LCP weighed under 10 oz's so this feels a little bulkier and fills my pocket more but it should be fine and the 38 special is a well proven round.

I'm going to try and let off a few tomorrow after work so we'll see how it shoots, overall I think it's a good choice, I'm going to buy a hi-hide pancake holster to fit from Rugged Alaskan to carry under my shirt but it's mainly a pocket popper.

The_AirHawk 02-15-2010 10:28 PM

Just don't drop it out of your pants and shoot yourself in the ass, like a certain local Sheriff-Dept. "Firearms Safety Instructor" did.........

longride 02-16-2010 04:38 AM

Can't beat a .38 wheelgun for a quick carry piece. They work, are easy to carry, and cheap.

seruzawa 02-16-2010 04:40 AM

I'm glad you didn't join the cult of "bigger is better". You know, the guys who buy 13oz .357s and .44s and proceed to break their hands when they fire the things.

sarnali2 02-16-2010 07:10 AM

Nah, .38's will work just fine. All that 20 round 9mm sh*t is fine for cops and soldiers but this is just felon repellent, I'm not going into combat.

I plan on changing the grips though, it's got the thick squishy rubber ones on there now that are comfortable but tend to hang up in your pocket. I'll get some skinny wood service grips most likely, they take up less space and slide out of a pocket better.

pushrod 02-16-2010 08:27 AM

I've got an old Charter Arms 'Undercover' (sorta like this: Charter Undercover DAO #73820) that I fill with +P loads. It's stainless, with wood grips. Roughly 16oz.

The +P's are not a lot of fun to shoot. Regular octane wadcutters aren't bad though. Plus, intuitive point training costs a lot less with the cheap fill.

seruzawa 02-16-2010 08:42 AM

Lotsa smart guys here on MO. Most places you see all the dyckheads bragging about their scandium .44s with "knockdown power". Too bad it's they themselves who get knocked down when they shoot the things.

Buzglyd 02-16-2010 09:11 AM

Maybe if you just changed the fancy puffy hat for a more plane-jane model you wouldn't be such a target.

A Star Ride 02-16-2010 09:27 AM

Personally I'm not a gun owner, and I do not personally know a single person (outside of law enforcement or military) who ever needed a gun for anything, self and property defence included). I do however know of 5 different situations that have had firearms accidents, and have a father in law that was shot & killed with his own gun in his own home. He had guns for personal safety. Also My step mothers first husband (a lifelong gun owner) killed himself with a shot to the head.
Before I get bashed for not being a fan of everyone toting guns, this is my personal experience, and my personal experience tells me most people are likely to shoot themselves, family members, TV's or picture windows then to ever shoot an intruder.
In defence of gun ownership, here in town late this summer there was a potential intruder on the back porch of a country home nearby, police on the way, the homeowner had the family locked in a back bedroom and dispatcher on the phone as the intruder threw a wrought iron chair through the sliding glass door and the homeowner splattered his head into the back yard. I fear to think what would have happened to this family had he not been able to defend them. The homeowner was in his 60's, and the intruder had earlier been bounced from a nearby party, walked the area & apparently thought this family's home was the location of the party.
Please just everyone be responsible and careful with their guns.

longride 02-16-2010 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 234663)
I've got an old Charter Arms 'Undercover' (sorta like this: Charter Undercover DAO #73820) that I fill with +P loads. It's stainless, with wood grips. Roughly 16oz.

The +P's are not a lot of fun to shoot. Regular octane wadcutters aren't bad though. Plus, intuitive point training costs a lot less with the cheap fill.

I guess great minds really do think alike. I bought my Charter Arms Undercover when I was 18, and I still have it. +P's are not its thing, but it shoots just fine, reliable, and is nearly unbreakable.