Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle.Com Lounge (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/)
-   -   J Frame (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/14405-j-frame.html)

seruzawa 02-18-2010 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Star Ride (Post 234868)
Not to single you out but you dont know anybody that has had an accident ? Not talking deaths here, but never a child picked up a gun, never someone threatened to use it in rage, never an accidental firing? Or a lost gun?
I think it's BS that I'm the only person on this board that has ever heard of firearms accidents.

Outside of Nam not one and I'm 61. Not one friend or a relative or work acquaintance. I've only read about them in the news. I go camping with large groups sometimes and guns abound. No problems ever. The woods of Utah are crawling with deer hunters every year and there is seldom an accident.

I read all the time that 10% of the US population has diabetes. Yet I only know 3 or 4. I should know about 25. I wonder how that could be? Shocking to believe that the media or special interest groups would lie. /s

Do you know anything about random distributions? Random things tend to happen in clusters. This is how you get a bunch of cancer cases in one town and none in the next. Lawyers use this to gen up phony lawsuits under power lines, etc. It's the same for any type of accident. You may have been unfortunate enough merely to have been in a random cluster. This is why anecdotal info is unreliable.

Schools should be teaching gun safety. Too bad the schools are run by PC idiots.

Dr_Sprocket 02-18-2010 07:31 AM

Quote:

Not to single you out but you dont know anybody that has had an accident ? Not talking deaths here, but never a child picked up a gun, never someone threatened to use it in rage, never an accidental firing? Or a lost gun?
I think it's BS that I'm the only person on this board that has ever heard of firearms accidents.

I have heard of firearm incidents. We all have. I do not know anyone personally who has has a firearm mishap. It's sad that they do happen. Everyone would agree that they do. I don't want to speak for LR, but what I think he is trying to say is that many of those mishaps happened due to either 1) improper storage, 2) improper usage, or 3) failed safety protocols. The problem is not the guns. The problem is the failed safety protocols. If incidents are happening that frequently, then the safety & handling issues need to be addressed. That is the root cause of the incident, not the gun itself.

Kids (young kids) will often find your guns. Gun owners need to keep them properly secured. If a person has a gun, and does not lock it up, and they also keep a round chambered, and a kid picks it up and shoots his friend, is it the child's fault or the gun owners. We (America) need to do a better job of training and teaching proper gun handling.

A Star Ride 02-18-2010 08:20 AM

The schools in my area do teach gun safety but it's optional, it's only at the high school level (too late), and I agree should be a required class and also taught at a younger age, and possably reviewed in high school.

I agree that, like auto accidents, if safety protocalls are followed, gun accidents too can be avoided. But I have had a car accident where I was at fault, and have also droped my bike, the same safety oversights, cutting corners or general laziness could result in a gun accident in the same way.

I attended Hargrave Military Academy, a school that issued rifles to all cadets (firing pin removed) and had skeet & range shooting teams that competed against other schools. After semester break 1 year a student had went to a gun shop in his hometown, bought a firing pin & ammo, and shortly after school resumed he was on the fire escape one night firing rounds, I feel he should've known better, I also feel the school shold've possably had the bolts welded or barrels filled before distribution. Who is at fault here, if this kid had more respect for firearms he wouldnt've done what he did, but is away from family at a private school that required him have & carry a gun but diddnt teach him anything about it other then polishing the stock & sling buckle, and how to carry it via military tradition.

The_AirHawk 02-18-2010 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Star Ride (Post 234864)
We operate our cars daily, sometimes 3-4 times a day, you dont use your gun daily.

Sez you! I'm fondling it right now........

A Star Ride 02-18-2010 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 234880)
Sez you! I'm fondling it right now........

lmao is that legal in your state?

pplassm 02-18-2010 11:31 AM

Quote:

Not that I know of. We must be pretty boring. :(

Especially an accidental firing. If that EVER happens, you have no business around firearms.

The_AirHawk 02-18-2010 11:55 AM

I have hearing-loss in my left ear from a firearms accident when I was 12 or 13. Malfunctioning Ruger Blackhawk Single-action (wheelgun aficionados know the one I'm talkin' about - Ruger recalled them). We were shooting at the creek, and it jammed. My neighbor was working on it, I'd bent-down to scavenge the brass we'd used, and as he struggled with it - it went off close-enough to burn the side of my head. Shot him in the foot.

The man went through 'Nam as a Ranger, parachuted-into places that could kill you just from environment, killed more enemy than he cared to recall (some hand-to-hand); and the first time he was ever shot was teachin' a goofy neighbor-kid how to shoot.

Also, when I was a 5 or 6, one of my best friends was killed - him and a few other friends of his got his Dad's pistol out, and one of them was goofing with it and shot Jeff in the side of the head. Took him almost two-weeks to die.

When I was 7, the Principal of my Elementary School was killed in a hunting-accident; him and my now brother-in-laws (older) cousin were Turkey-hunting, and were getting back in the truck - Roger's cousin was putting his shotgun in the rack behind the seat (loaded, of course) and snagged the trigger - the blast went through the other door and blew-away most of the victim's liver and right lung. He lived long-enough for them to pronounce him dead in the E.R.

I know of a few other, relatively "minor" (no injury or death) incidents. Most of them involving my Grandmother on my Dad's side (people were always shooting at her for some reason.......)

Every. Single. One. Of these incidents broke The Rules. Every. One.

If The Rules hadn't been broken - I'd have no incidents to report.

I'm not going to relate the time I've had a .38 snubnose stuck to my head by a Drunk, nor the time I've drawn on someone-else intent on harm (fortunately, neither incident ended in gunfire).

pushrod 02-18-2010 12:22 PM

I just got a newsletter from Gunbroker.com. Here is a link to the G&A video vault. Some good stuff!

Guns & Ammo 2.0 Videos

A Star Ride 02-18-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 234912)
I have hearing-loss in my left ear from a firearms accident when I was 12 or 13. Malfunctioning Ruger Blackhawk Single-action (wheelgun aficionados know the one I'm talkin' about - Ruger recalled them). We were shooting at the creek, and it jammed. My neighbor was working on it, I'd bent-down to scavenge the brass we'd used, and as he struggled with it - it went off close-enough to burn the side of my head. Shot him in the foot.

The man went through 'Nam as a Ranger, parachuted-into places that could kill you just from environment, killed more enemy than he cared to recall (some hand-to-hand); and the first time he was ever shot was teachin' a goofy neighbor-kid how to shoot.

Also, when I was a 5 or 6, one of my best friends was killed - him and a few other friends of his got his Dad's pistol out, and one of them was goofing with it and shot Jeff in the side of the head. Took him almost two-weeks to die.

When I was 7, the Principal of my Elementary School was killed in a hunting-accident; him and my now brother-in-laws (older) cousin were Turkey-hunting, and were getting back in the truck - Roger's cousin was putting his shotgun in the rack behind the seat (loaded, of course) and snagged the trigger - the blast went through the other door and blew-away most of the victim's liver and right lung. He lived long-enough for them to pronounce him dead in the E.R.

I know of a few other, relatively "minor" (no injury or death) incidents. Most of them involving my Grandmother on my Dad's side (people were always shooting at her for some reason.......)

Every. Single. One. Of these incidents broke The Rules. Every. One.

If The Rules hadn't been broken - I'd have no incidents to report.

I'm not going to relate the time I've had a .38 snubnose stuck to my head by a Drunk, nor the time I've drawn on someone-else intent on harm (fortunately, neither incident ended in gunfire).

Sorry these things happened but accidents do happen, and will hapen, one can never be too careful.

pushrod 02-18-2010 01:45 PM

How many bored G.I. sentries checked the chamber of their .45, then ejected the magazine...

(Not that they were supposed to have put the magazine in, in the first place.)

Then played quick-draw?