Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 02-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #51
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
And my 10:1 I did pull from my ass, and will still stand by it. Find me 1 that was tied up & watched his family get raped & I'll easily find you 10 cases where irresponsible gun owners could've caused a fatality.

And why do you have to take everything so personal, I try to give you the benefit of the dobut that you've unfortunately had to experience things I havent due to your line of work and location and you come back insulting my family's IQ.
What you have here is LR's version of "warm & fuzzy."

That's why he is the MO Customer Service Representative.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #52
A Star Ride
Registered Member

If thats the case, whats wrath like, damn Xanax is cheap.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:07 PM   #53
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I hate to say it but I'd change the company I keep there Star Ride. That many firearm incidents within a small number of people is not a good sign. As a counterpoint all my friends carry and own multiple firearms and other than in combat have never shot at anyone or even had to draw a pistol to defend themselves. This afternoon my 17 year old daughter, my good friend and myself went out and tried out my new .38 and my buds new .45. .I was proud of my daughters marksmanship with both my .357 and the .38. If I wasn't such a lame brain with the computer I'd post up a few photos.

As Barb pointed out, guns like motorcycles are inanimate objects incapable of thought or action of their own. It takes a little common sense to use them correctly.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:34 AM   #54
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
If thats the case, whats wrath like, damn Xanax is cheap.
Sorry if I speak the truth. It's a rare commodity these days. Most people like to sugar coat it or avoid it altogether. When they hear someone that actually speaks it, well then they are SHOCKED! Oh my, he needs XANAX! I didn't insult your family, they insulted themselves by beign complete idiots when it comes to gettiing anywhere near a gun. Please keep them away from anything hot, sharp, explosive, or heavy in the future. I'm sure the same 'accidents' will occurr with differing results. Sarnali and Barbara said the same thing I did, only I said it first and way more direct, so I guess we need more Xanax to pass around.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:35 AM   #55
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
What you have here is LR's version of "warm & fuzzy."

That's why he is the MO Customer Service Representative.
Warm & fuzzy is for a$$holes.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:30 AM   #56
seruzawa
The Toad

I live in one of the most heavily armed States in the Union. You can count the number of people killed or seriously injured in gun mishaps each year on both hands. And weren't it for the stinking drug gangs the general murder numbers would be less than a dozen amongst a population of about 3 million. Funny how that "gun culture" (and Mormon culture, by the way) gives us one of the safest places to live in the USA if not the world.

Quote form the NRA-ILA site on accident rates:

"Firearms are involved in 0.5% of accidental deaths nationally, compared to motor vehicles (37%), poisoning (22%), falls (17%), suffocation (5%), drowning (2.9%), fires (2.5%), medical mistakes (1.7%), environmental factors (1.3%), and pedal cycles (0.7%). Among children: motor vehicles (41%), suffocation (21%), drowning (15%), fires (8%), pedal cycles (2%), poisoning (2%), falls (1.9%), environmental factors (1.5%), firearms (1.1%) and medical mistakes (1%)."

Looks like guns are waaaaaay down the list of things to worry about. Has your doctor or bicycle been registered? It's the constant black propaganda from the govt controlled press (NBC, etc) that creates the culture of irrational fear of guns. An automobile is more dangerous than just about anything. Motorcycles are worse. Maybe we need to ban motorcycles. Or at least have Federal background checks. Don't want anyone to just have one. They might do something bad with it.

Last edited by seruzawa : 02-18-2010 at 05:43 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:50 AM   #57
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Again I have no problem with gun ownership, I just ask people to be responsible with them & use them safely, just as I'd caution a friend preparing to take a road trip, this whole thing got blown out of proportion. No one should take offence that I don't feel like I need a gun, some may think thats a foolish decision on my part, but it's my decision to make, and I don't feel the need. If I were raised arround them, or had more violent encounters in my lifetime I'm sure my view would be different. I feel fortunate that my neighbors & I are more likely to sleep with windows open & doors unlocked then with a pistol in hand. I feel safe where I am and how I live, I dont feel like I'm a taget, and do not have any firearms training whatsoever. I am not the kind of person responsible gun owners should want to have a gun in the first place due to my lack of knowledge using/handling one.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #58
pplassm
Founding Member

I live in Central VA, too. Just about everybody I know has a firearm, many loaded and close at hand.

Not one of them has had an incident like Star's friends.

Just sayin'.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #59
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I live in one of the most heavily armed States in the Union. You can count the number of people killed or seriously injured in gun mishaps each year on both hands. And weren't it for the stinking drug gangs the general murder numbers would be less than a dozen amongst a population of about 3 million. Funny how that "gun culture" (and Mormon culture, by the way) gives us one of the safest places to live in the USA if not the world.

Quote form the NRA-ILA site on accident rates:

"Firearms are involved in 0.5% of accidental deaths nationally, compared to motor vehicles (37%), poisoning (22%), falls (17%), suffocation (5%), drowning (2.9%), fires (2.5%), medical mistakes (1.7%), environmental factors (1.3%), and pedal cycles (0.7%). Among children: motor vehicles (41%), suffocation (21%), drowning (15%), fires (8%), pedal cycles (2%), poisoning (2%), falls (1.9%), environmental factors (1.5%), firearms (1.1%) and medical mistakes (1%)."

Looks like guns are waaaaaay down the list of things to worry about. Has your doctor or bicycle been registered? It's the constant black propaganda from the govt controlled press (NBC, etc) that creates the culture of irrational fear of guns. An automobile is more dangerous than just about anything. Motorcycles are worse. Maybe we need to ban motorcycles. Or at least have Federal background checks. Don't want anyone to just have one. They might do something bad with it.
I dont disagree with your argument here, maybe there should be a 5 day waiting list to go swimming, and institute a helmet law for anyone walking outside their house. No dobut Govt. it too big & involved where they arent needed. But statistics can prove or disprove anything.
This is NOT my stand but likely one the gun rights have had to face regarding automobile deaths v/s firearm deaths. Sure auto deaths outnumber firearm fatalities. We operate our cars daily, sometimes 3-4 times a day, you dont use your gun daily. When they compare motorcycle accidents against car accidents do they compare them per capita of miles driven, or simply accident per accident? The NRA will stack the numbers to support their interest (as would I) but the opposition would likely want the accidents per usage statistic rather then just fatalities per year. Again that isnt my stand but I'm just saying the numbers provided by the NRA are going to prove the NRA's point, if they diddnt they wouldnt've released the result of the study.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:13 AM   #60
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
I live in Central VA, too. Just about everybody I know has a firearm, many loaded and close at hand.

Not one of them has had an incident like Star's friends.

Just sayin'.
Not to single you out but you dont know anybody that has had an accident ? Not talking deaths here, but never a child picked up a gun, never someone threatened to use it in rage, never an accidental firing? Or a lost gun?
I think it's BS that I'm the only person on this board that has ever heard of firearms accidents.