Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 02-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #31
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Question, if a kid in your home gets your gun and later shoots his friend, you or himself, is it his parents fault for not teaching him gun safety, or is it your fault for leaving them out for him to get ahold of?"

I have a better question, and a much more likely scenario. Say a home invader gets in your house and ties you up and rapes your wife and kid and makes you watch. How would you apologize for not having the guts to protect them?

You are trying to argue a point that you can't win. No matter how many lights you have, how many locks you put on, and how safe your neighborhoos is supposed to be, you will be a victim before I will be. That's a fact.

Last edited by longride : 02-16-2010 at 05:43 PM.
longride is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2010, 05:57 PM   #32
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

A responsible gun owner keeps them under lock and key or on his/her person so the supposed neighbor kid scenario won't happen. One feature S&W has is internal hammer locks on their revolvers at least. Mine are either behind multiple locks or in my pocket. I'm not really worried about a home invasion scenario, by the time my pit bulls get done with an invader shooting them would be putting them out of their misery.

I carry for when I'm out and about. You never know who you'll run into, recently some doctor dragged a guy out of his car and beat the hell out of him with a steel thermos for cutting him off in traffic on the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. The guy obviously had mental issues but what are you going to do ask him to stop? That's the kind of sh*t that happens. Back in the 80's a "mainstreamed" mental patient ran some guy through with a sword outside a Mariners game, one minute grampa's walking along spending time with the family, the next minute he's laying on the ground tryin to put his guts back in. I'm glad you live in a safe area, unfortunately it's life in the big city here. Since November we've had 8 police shot in the line of duty, six of them died... Carrying a small concealed pistol at least evens the odds a little.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:05 PM   #33
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I've got a nice medium frame five screw S&W Mod 38 S&W Special, in six inch standard police issue sitting on my desk. Like a work of art.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #34
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I have a better question, and a much more likely scenario. Say a home invader gets in your house and ties you up and rapes your wife and kid and makes you watch. How would you apologize for not having the guts to protect them?
Let's not kid ourselves here. Anyone can be a victim at any time. Period. If you think otherwise, you are mistaken.

Over here, we had a case where a lady was outside doing gardening. While she was outside, a man slipped inside the house. When she came in, he raped her and tied her up, then had a beer. When the husband came home, the rapist shot him in the head, dead. He then proceded to take the woman back to his house and repeatedly rape her, keeping her tied up in the basement. Fortunately, she escaped. This was the mother of my lab partner in college.

No gun in the house, locked up or not, would have helped in this situation. You may think you are safe, and you won't become a victim. There is no assurity in thinking that.

Last edited by Dr_Sprocket : 02-16-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #35
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Let's not kid ourselves here. Anyone can be a victim at any time. Period. If you think otherwise, you are mistaken.

Over here, we had a case where a lady was outside doing gardening. While she was outside, a man slipped inside the house. When she came in, he raped her and tied her up, then had a beer. When the husband came home, the rapist shot him in the head, dead. He then proceded to take the woman back to his house and repeatedly rape her, keeping her tied up in the basement. Fortunately, she escaped. This was the mother of my lab partner in college.

No gun in the house, locked up or not, would have helped in this situation. You may think you are safe, and you won't become a victim. There is no assurity in thinking that.
True. But having the means of defense will even the odds up much better than not having the means of defense. Just because bad shyt happens is no reason to ignore the possibilities.

Best thing is to keep a big dog around.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #36
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
"Question, if a kid in your home gets your gun and later shoots his friend, you or himself, is it his parents fault for not teaching him gun safety, or is it your fault for leaving them out for him to get ahold of?"
Ummmm. The guy who stole the gun is at fault. What's the deal with blaming the people who don't commit crimes? If a criminal breaks into your house and steals a gun liberals want to prosecute the gun owner! This is insane. If anyone thinks that is a good ides they are simply nuts. No sense arguing with nuts.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #37
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:

You are trying to argue a point that you can't win. No matter how many lights you have, how many locks you put on, and how safe your neighborhoos is supposed to be, you will be a victim before I will be. That's a fact.
Regardless of how much you think the media opresses the real news, I'll bet 10:1 kids discharge firearms then home invaders tie up the man of the house & makes them watch a rape. More likely scenario my @ss. YOU are agruing a point you cannot win and displaying ignorance of common sence.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #38
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:

Why are you such a target? And are you NOT a victim if you shoot an intruder? I said I'm glad we have the freedom to own guns and asked you a reasonable question about gun ownership & liability, which you refused to answer.

My personal experiences which you refuse to accept as FACT, these are things that actually have happened in my life, not things that go through my paranoid mind like a crime drama & being tied up to watch my family get raped (which I'm sure you insist happens nightly but the media isnt allowed to report real news).

My daughter when 2 years old pulled a loaded shotgun from under a sofa at a friends parents house, they forgot it was there.

A friend had a handgun of some sort in holster with safety on on his dresser, his roommates girlfriend took it out & accidently shot it through the floor into the apartment below.

My father in law shot in his own home with his own gun, stored it unloaded in nightstand with bullets in dresser across the room.

My step mothers first husband shot himself in the head.

A friend after hunting & unloading his junk onto the sofa accidently shot a round through a picture window, he thought it was unloaded.

Another friend after shooting for the afternoon & getting ready to clean his pistol shot his television set. Thought it was unloaded.

When I was 12 a classmate of mine shot another classmate with his dads gun for not getting out of his yard (he didn't die).

How many people do you know that were tied up & had to watch their family get raped, or do they all own guns & were able to prevent the situation.

As I said 10:1 accidents happen a lot more then you'll ever get to be the hero that happened to have a gun handy at the right time. I don't fault you for owning one. So do you accept these personal experiences in my own life as fact that these things really do happen? Or do you think that the people that I know who own guns are dumber then the people you know that own guns. If thats the case, maybe Va needs IL gun laws.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:27 PM   #39
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Ummmm. The guy who stole the gun is at fault. What's the deal with blaming the people who don't commit crimes? If a criminal breaks into your house and steals a gun liberals want to prosecute the gun owner! This is insane. If anyone thinks that is a good ides they are simply nuts. No sense arguing with nuts.
Thanks for your reply but I said the KID (it could be your child, a guest or a neighbor) that took the gun. Do you not feel the gun owner that diddn't properly secure it is at least partly to blame for leaving it out? Then theres also the argument that a "properly secured" weapon isnt available when needed, and I agree with that too.
The situation I mentioned earlier when my daughter pulled a shotgun from under a sofa at a friends parents home, the possabilities are endless that could've happened, glad none did. They were an older couple, empty nesters who felt they needed a gun in the home for personal protection & never thought they would have a 2 yr old crawling arround under furniture. Innocent oversight, glad noone died that day.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:05 PM   #40
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
Thanks for your reply but I said the KID (it could be your child, a guest or a neighbor) that took the gun. Do you not feel the gun owner that diddn't properly secure it is at least partly to blame for leaving it out? Then theres also the argument that a "properly secured" weapon isnt available when needed, and I agree with that too.
The situation I mentioned earlier when my daughter pulled a shotgun from under a sofa at a friends parents home, the possabilities are endless that could've happened, glad none did. They were an older couple, empty nesters who felt they needed a gun in the home for personal protection & never thought they would have a 2 yr old crawling arround under furniture. Innocent oversight, glad noone died that day.
You know you're a redneck when........your daughter pulls a shotgun out from under the sofa.

Were there any coins or old chips stuck in it?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote