Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 02-16-2010, 12:06 PM   #21
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Well you have every right not to own or carry a gun and I respect your decision. Where I live the crime rate is probably on par with any other metropolitan area of it's size, there isn't a particular threat I feel. However the Puget Sound area is home to over 4 million people. Unfortunately a percentage of those are going to be criminals and lunatics and there's always the chance I'll encounter one in my travels. Since I'm an overweight middle-aged guy with a heart condition, I'm not going to duke it out with some assailant like a Chuck Norris movie. That leaves me the choice of hoping a policeman happens by or attempting to defend myself. With any luck the occasion will never arise but if it does I want at least a fighting chance.
You crack me up, but I agree 100% and if I weren't in an area that I felt safe 99% of the time, I'd have to strongly consider it myself. Fortunately I don't have to face that dilemma. I'm only pushn 40 but have had 2 back surgeries and don't get around nearly as well as I once did, and don't think I would have a decent chance against your average 20-ish street thug.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #22
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
"Handguns are useful only for fighting your way back to the Rifle you Stupidly left in your saddle."
"I said I never had much use for one (a pistol). Never said I didn't know how to use it."

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:52 PM   #23
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
"I said I never had much use for one (a pistol). Never said I didn't know how to use it."

"This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #24
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
If someone doesn't want to own a gun, less power to em! Just stay away from my right to carry one, that's all. The trouble is that most people that don't want one also don't want me to have one, which will never happen as long as I am still breathing. All the 'in my experience' is completely meaningless in the real world and goes out the window fast when there is a break-in at YOUR house or YOU are staring down the barrel of someone else's gun. If someone wants to believe they live in a 'safe neighborhood' then they can believe that. I dont believe any neighborhood is safe where I can't own firearms.
I don't have a problem with responsible educated people owning/carrying firearms at all.
And the "in my experience" part, thats how I base all my decisions, based on "my experience". For some the thought of a possable break in would justify their decision to buy a gun, in my expericnce, thats not enough of a reason. A person without security lighting & unlocked doors that "needs" a gun only needed an excuse to have one. The same $400.00 could put in motion lighting, trim the shrubs and get a great deadbolt. I'd rather deter & not make myself a target then be in the last resort situation to have to shoot someone.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:12 PM   #25
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
I don't have a problem with responsible educated people owning/carrying firearms at all.
And the "in my experience" part, thats how I base all my decisions, based on "my experience". For some the thought of a possable break in would justify their decision to buy a gun, in my expericnce, thats not enough of a reason. A person without security lighting & unlocked doors that "needs" a gun only needed an excuse to have one. The same $400.00 could put in motion lighting, trim the shrubs and get a great deadbolt. I'd rather deter & not make myself a target then be in the last resort situation to have to shoot someone.
There's our difference. I don't need an "excuse" to have a gun. There is absolutely nothing wrong with owning them. It doesn't need a justification or explanation or permission from anyone. From what I've seen of the people who think they should have right to decide who is or is not "allowed" to have one.... I wouldn't put them in charge of deciding the kind of toilet paper to put in the out house.

A deadbolt won't do much good when they pound the entire door frame in or simply come through a window. I live in one of the safest medium sized cities in the entire world. Part of the reason is that criminals know that if they go through the widow chances are excellent that they will be pushing up daisies.

Here's a photo of the first guy to carry out major gun control. Oh yeah, he also got the first major anti-smoking laws passed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hitler.jpg (59.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by seruzawa : 02-16-2010 at 01:15 PM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #26
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post

I don't care what your 'experience' is, and nobody else does either. It's meaningless, so why bother? A 'great deadbolt'?? I could defeat one of those in about 30 seconds tops and be beating you upside your head in your kitchen within a minute. I was trained by the Fire Department on how to break into buildings, and you can't believe how easy it is with some training and a few tools. You can spend $400 on all kinds of things, but when a home invader gets in, and he will get in very easily, especially with your 'great deadbolt' that he will defeat in seconds, then it's you and your family at the mercy of him and his gun. Good luck. For my $400, I'll have my shotgun ready, and the inivader better pray that I don't have it when he gets in. I'm shocked that people would leave the lives and well being of their loved ones to a 'great deadbolt'. No wonder there is so much fodder for the theives, rapists, murderers and muggers of the world.

Last edited by longride : 02-16-2010 at 01:30 PM.
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:33 PM   #27
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Here's a photo of the first guy to carry out major gun control. Oh yeah, he also got the first major anti-smoking laws passed.

Hey! I know that guy! I used to work in a Chicken Plant with him - real old dude, funny accent, Imperious attitude. Oh, the War Stories he used to tell. I think he was an Immigrant from South America.........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #28
A Star Ride
Registered Member

No one needs anyone's permission to have a gun and I'm glad we have that freedom. We are allowed to do alot of things that I chose not to. Sure someone can drive Grave Digger into your livingroom, and I'm sorry you feel like a likely canidate for such violence. Most home invasions are targeted toward empty houses that are easy targets with unsecure perimiters & bad or no lighting. I'd rather not make my home & my family a target and continue feeling like I don't need a gun. That could change, heck, tonight I may wish I had one, but I feel that a gun in my home if its in a location that I could obtain it on short notice for use in defence, would more likely result in accidental firing then my ever needing it for defence, in part because I do have good lighting good neighbors and good locks.
Question, if a kid in your home gets your gun and later shoots his friend, you or himself, is it his parents fault for not teaching him gun safety, or is it your fault for leaving them out for him to get ahold of?
Old 02-16-2010, 02:00 PM   #29
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I don't care what your 'experience' is, and nobody else does either. It's meaningless, so why bother? A 'great deadbolt'?? I could defeat one of those in about 30 seconds tops and be beating you upside your head in your kitchen within a minute. I was trained by the Fire Department on how to break into buildings, and you can't believe how easy it is with some training and a few tools. You can spend $400 on all kinds of things, but when a home invader gets in, and he will get in very easily, especially with your 'great deadbolt' that he will defeat in seconds, then it's you and your family at the mercy of him and his gun. Good luck. For my $400, I'll have my shotgun ready, and the inivader better pray that I don't have it when he gets in. I'm shocked that people would leave the lives and well being of their loved ones to a 'great deadbolt'. No wonder there is so much fodder for the theives, rapists, murderers and muggers of the world.
Thank heavens for an alarm system, security lighting, and the neighborhood watch! There is one advantage to having old, retired neighbors. They watch everything that's going on. Spooky sometimes, helpful others.

Oh, yeah. Don't try to bypass the security system either. I can neither confirm or deny the presence of a firearm, that I may... or may not have.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #30
pushrod
Founding Member

Just to clarify, and this is my opinion, and not that of the vaporous entities that 'own' this site -

If you have a firearm that is to be used for "Home Defense," nothing beats a 12ga shotgun with a load of birdshot.

I prefer a pump-action.

Now, some would say that the sound of the action is plenty to scare away the bad guy. To them I say, "I don't need to cycle the action. I've got my 'warning' in the chamber already."

Once the perp crosses the threshold of my house, he has already bought his ticket.

Handguns are great, especially when concealment is required, but very inaccurate/ineffective compared to the door-sized pattern a cylinder bore with a bazillion (well- according to wiki, 585) #9 pellets will give you.

And, you don't need to worry about carry-over (the round going through walls, possible endangering others in the house) as much.

That being said, one round will definitely mess up a good bit of sheetrock! And it'll make your ears ring for a good while.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shotgun ejectsII.jpg (24.0 KB, 1 views)

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.

Last edited by pushrod : 02-16-2010 at 02:36 PM.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote