Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 02-16-2010, 10:53 AM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
Personally I'm not a gun owner, and I do not personally know a single person (outside of law enforcement or military) who ever needed a gun for anything, self and property defence included). I do however know of 5 different situations that have had firearms accidents, and have a father in law that was shot & killed with his own gun in his own home. He had guns for personal safety. Also My step mothers first husband (a lifelong gun owner) killed himself with a shot to the head.
Before I get bashed for not being a fan of everyone toting guns, this is my personal experience, and my personal experience tells me most people are likely to shoot themselves, family members, TV's or picture windows then to ever shoot an intruder.
In defence of gun ownership, here in town late this summer there was a potential intruder on the back porch of a country home nearby, police on the way, the homeowner had the family locked in a back bedroom and dispatcher on the phone as the intruder threw a wrought iron chair through the sliding glass door and the homeowner splattered his head into the back yard. I fear to think what would have happened to this family had he not been able to defend them. The homeowner was in his 60's, and the intruder had earlier been bounced from a nearby party, walked the area & apparently thought this family's home was the location of the party.
Please just everyone be responsible and careful with their guns.
Idiots kill themselves off. If they don't have a gun handy they'll do it some other way.

My Dad and Uncle taught me gun safety with the "boot method". Break a rule = get a boot up the @ss.

Don't forget that the deaths and injuries from gun accidents in the US are far outnumbered by the deaths and injuries from govts and criminals suffered by people who live where guns are outlawed. The anti-gunners never mention the extreme home invasion burglary and rape rates in Britain or Austrailia... or NYC. They never mention that gun controlled areas of the USA have much higher crime rates than less controlled areas. Funny how that works.

Also don't forget that there is a virtual news black out on guns used in self-defense while every gun mishap is given national coverage by the left-wing press.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2010, 11:00 AM   #12
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Lotsa smart guys here on MO. Most places you see all the dyckheads bragging about their scandium .44s with "knockdown power". Too bad it's they themselves who get knocked down when they shoot the things.
The Bullets in this gun are small, Mr. Bond - but I assure you they are quite Deadly.........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:05 AM   #13
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I am not strongly on 1 side or the other on this, pesonally don't own a gun & havent shot any other then at camp as a kid, I do think sport (range) shooting would be a fun hobby, but don't care to hunt and dont think I need a gun to protect myself. Fortunately I live in a pretty safe area even though that back porch situation happened here in my county.
I do believe people kill people not guns, but the gun makes it easy for accidents to happen, and people to act upon rage, both I agree is the result of irresponsible ownership.

The same argument can be made of motorcycles. We know they are statistically less safe mile for mile, but want to ride therefore we do. And I'm sure there are stats to state otherwise, but to me it's common sence.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:17 AM   #14
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

I am in favor of guns. It's our constitutional right. I believe in the old adage, "It's not guns that kill people, it's people that kill people." Having said that, guns make it easier to commit a malicious act. Most people would be better off with a shotgun for home defense, but they buy handguns because they are cooler.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #15
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I'd say if I were to get a gun Id rather have a handgun then a rifle due to being able to use it at close range, but not likely to carry it.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #16
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
I'd say if I were to get a gun Id rather have a handgun then a rifle due to being able to use it at close range, but not likely to carry it.
"Handguns are useful only for fighting your way back to the Rifle you Stupidly left in your saddle."
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #17
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Well you have every right not to own or carry a gun and I respect your decision. Where I live the crime rate is probably on par with any other metropolitan area of it's size, there isn't a particular threat I feel. However the Puget Sound area is home to over 4 million people. Unfortunately a percentage of those are going to be criminals and lunatics and there's always the chance I'll encounter one in my travels. Since I'm an overweight middle-aged guy with a heart condition, I'm not going to duke it out with some assailant like a Chuck Norris movie. That leaves me the choice of hoping a policeman happens by or attempting to defend myself. With any luck the occasion will never arise but if it does I want at least a fighting chance.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 02-16-2010 at 12:12 PM. Reason: spelling, what else......
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:27 PM   #18
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Well you have every right not to own or carry a gun and I respect your decision. Where I live the crime rate is probably on par with any other metropolitan area of it's size, there isn't a particular threat I feel. However the Puget Sound area is home to over 4 million people. Unfortunately a percentage of those are going to be criminals and lunatics and there's always the chance I'll encounter one in my travels. Since I'm an overweight middle-aged guy with a heart condition, I'm not going to duke it out with some assailant like a Chuck Norris movie. That leaves me the choice of hoping a policeman happens by or attempting to defend myself. With any luck the occasion will never arise but if it does I want at least a fighting chance.
Does chubby with a heart condition qualify for a concealed carry permit?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:03 PM   #19
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

If someone doesn't want to own a gun, less power to em! Just stay away from my right to carry one, that's all. The trouble is that most people that don't want one also don't want me to have one, which will never happen as long as I am still breathing. All the 'in my experience' is completely meaningless in the real world and goes out the window fast when there is a break-in at YOUR house or YOU are staring down the barrel of someone else's gun. If someone wants to believe they live in a 'safe neighborhood' then they can believe that. I dont believe any neighborhood is safe where I can't own firearms.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #20
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Does chubby with a heart condition qualify for a concealed carry permit?

If you belong to a union they don't even do a background check......

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote