Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 02-13-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Olympic disappointment

Just a friendly head's up for you guys, so you're not as crushed as I was last time...

Women's biathlon? It's not what it sounds like.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2010, 06:00 AM   #2
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizuki View Post
Just a friendly head's up for you guys, so you're not as crushed as I was last time...

Women's biathlon? It's not what it sounds like.
Too funny!

Actually, I think the biathalon is one of the most underappreciated sports. Cross-country ski as hard and fast as you can, try to catch your breath and shoot at a target far away. That takes mad skill! I just doesn't translate to the American viewers.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Too funny!

Actually, I think the biathalon is one of the most underappreciated sports. Cross-country ski as hard and fast as you can, try to catch your breath and shoot at a target far away. That takes mad skill! I just doesn't translate to the American viewers.
It might if they were doing it in Chicago instead of Vancouver and had some hip/hop playing in the background.

Might even become a new video game for PS3 and XBox.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:31 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Olympics? What are Olympics? I remember something like that where a buncha crooks hung around Salt Lake City in 2002 and sold 10cent pins for $50. Before that there was a stream of con men visiting the city, living in luxury on the taxpayers dime. Is that the Olympics you are talking about.

I lost all interest when they blatantly began fielding pro-athletes.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Olympics? What are Olympics? I remember something like that where a buncha crooks hung around Salt Lake City in 2002 and sold 10cent pins for $50. Before that there was a stream of con men visiting the city, living in luxury on the taxpayers dime. Is that the Olympics you are talking about.

I lost all interest when they blatantly began fielding pro-athletes.
What's wrong with pro atheletes? The Olympics' motto is "Faster, Higher, Stronger", so why not have pro athletes? China, Russia, Cuba, and East Germany were blatantly fielding pro athletes back in the 70's and 80's. Why not level the playing field?

I'm all for the pro atheletes, as longs as they are tested for illegal substances. As I understand it, all medal winners are tested for substances, as well as random participants. Why in the world would anyone want to medal if they know that they're going to be tested?! I can't remember how many medal winners tested positive in China this last time, but it was staggering. Did they think they wouldn't get caught?
Old 02-14-2010, 08:05 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
What's wrong with pro atheletes? The Olympics' motto is "Faster, Higher, Stronger", so why not have pro athletes? China, Russia, Cuba, and East Germany were blatantly fielding pro athletes back in the 70's and 80's. Why not level the playing field?
Then stop the pretense and stop having the world's govts soak the taxpayers for a professional enterprise. If people want to have the Olympics, well fine. But stop making people who aren't interested in them pay for them. The Olympics always lose money and then you and I have to pay for the gang of jet-setters who have turned a con game into an opulent lifestyle. We have a 200 million bond to pay off in Utah for the 2002 Olympics. Well, let the 56% of the people who voted for it pay the 200 million. Leave the rest of us out of it.

That's a thought. No more secret ballots for bond issues. We keep records of voting for bonds and the people who vote for the bonds are the one who have to pay. Good idea.

Last edited by seruzawa : 02-14-2010 at 08:07 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:14 AM   #7
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Then stop the pretense and stop having the world's govts soak the taxpayers for a professional enterprise. If people want to have the Olympics, well fine. But stop making people who aren't interested in them pay for them. The Olympics always lose money and then you and I have to pay for the gang of jet-setters who have turned a con game into an opulent lifestyle. We have a 200 million bond to pay off in Utah for the 2002 Olympics. Well, let the 56% of the people who voted for it pay the 200 million. Leave the rest of us out of it.

That's a thought. No more secret ballots for bond issues. We keep records of voting for bonds and the people who vote for the bonds are the one who have to pay. Good idea.
Good point. I'd be willing to bet that less people voted for the last bond issue to further education. It always amazed me in Dover, DE that every educational bond issue was voted down. Yet everyone would complain how bad the schools were/are. I don't even have kids and know that the schools are a direct reflection of the local economy. As the schools go, so does the city.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:17 AM   #8
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I dont really follow the olympics, but my take on whether or not to allow professionals to compete is this:
Some sports are bigger then others in different countries, therefore having amature ranks below profesional. Baseball & auto racing as examples with multiple levels of accomplishment, where exactly do you become a professional? My opinion, if it's a full time job, your a professional regardless of if your going to the olympics or not. We have thousands of "amature-ranked" baseball players in this country that are full time baseball players, but our best of the best triatheletes & runners, swimmers probably have day jobs. Where do you make a living swiming? If other countries send their best of the best I think we would have to to remain competative.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:56 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Good point. I'd be willing to bet that less people voted for the last bond issue to further education. It always amazed me in Dover, DE that every educational bond issue was voted down. Yet everyone would complain how bad the schools were/are. I don't even have kids and know that the schools are a direct reflection of the local economy. As the schools go, so does the city.
On the other hand I sent my daughter to a private school. The school outperforms every public school on Earth (well, most do) and the cost per student is far less than public schools. Money will not solve public education. The causes are much deeper and frankly quite criminal in nature.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:57 AM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
I dont really follow the olympics, but my take on whether or not to allow professionals to compete is this:
Some sports are bigger then others in different countries, therefore having amature ranks below profesional. Baseball & auto racing as examples with multiple levels of accomplishment, where exactly do you become a professional? My opinion, if it's a full time job, your a professional regardless of if your going to the olympics or not. We have thousands of "amature-ranked" baseball players in this country that are full time baseball players, but our best of the best triatheletes & runners, swimmers probably have day jobs. Where do you make a living swiming? If other countries send their best of the best I think we would have to to remain competative.
Good idea. You pay for it. Leave those of us who don't care out of it please.