Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #11
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
I was 20 feet from the Christmas tree. I tried to describe it to my girlfriend a million times but nothing makes sense until you see it in person.

You're whole body vibrates. It just defies everything you know about car acceleration. 7000 hp is not something to sneeze at.

He and his wife are super nice people.
Try 37 million horspower. When I worked at KSC, our boss would let people take turns going outside between the VAB and LCC to watch the Space Shuttle launch. At less than 3 miles away, the concussion when the boosters light off will knock the air out of your lungs.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #12
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Try 37 million horspower. When I worked at KSC, our boss would let people take turns going outside between the VAB and LCC to watch the Space Shuttle launch. At less than 3 miles away, the concussion when the boosters light off will knock the air out of your lungs.
I can only imagine KMo. I'd love it.

Them dragsters are going to Gainsville. Hitch up the wagons and take the boy. He'll never forget it.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:54 PM   #13
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member
 
Dr_Sprocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Delmarva Peninsula
Posts: 2,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
I can only imagine KMo. I'd love it.

Them dragsters are going to Gainsville. Hitch up the wagons and take the boy. He'll never forget it.
I watched the WinterNationals last night on ESPN. Wild stuff! I've got to go see it in person at least once.
__________________
"Aid to the helpless indigent is civilized. Aid to the irresponsible is socially corrosive." ----- Schizuki (c. 2011)
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
I watched the WinterNationals last night on ESPN. Wild stuff! I've got to go see it in person at least once.
I was at my girlfriend's house and she was making dinner and insisted I turn it on. She can't stop talking about it. Of course she can't stop talking in general but still.

How 'bout that Funny Car final. My buddy Ron lost by 2/100ths of a second on a hole-shot victory by Force? Crap!

Gorgeous in Pomona too (you can't always say that!). Sunny day with all the snow-covered local mountains.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:02 PM   #15
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member
 
Dr_Sprocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Delmarva Peninsula
Posts: 2,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
I was at my girlfriend's house and she was making dinner and insisted I turn it on. She can't stop talking about it. Of course she can't stop talking in general but still.

How 'bout that Funny Car final. My buddy Ron lost by 2/100ths of a second on a hole-shot victory by Force? Crap!

Gorgeous in Pomona too (you can't always say that!). Sunny day with all the snow-covered local mountains.
Yeah. It was weird to see the snow on the mountains in the background while everyone was wearing shorts and short-sleeved shirts. And what's with all the OG's beating all the young whipper-snappers?
__________________
"Aid to the helpless indigent is civilized. Aid to the irresponsible is socially corrosive." ----- Schizuki (c. 2011)
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Yeah. It was weird to see the snow on the mountains in the background while everyone was wearing shorts and short-sleeved shirts. And what's with all the OG's beating all the young whipper-snappers?
Age and guile will always defeat youth and enthusiasm.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:31 AM   #17
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
I can only imagine KMo. I'd love it.

Them dragsters are going to Gainsville. Hitch up the wagons and take the boy. He'll never forget it.
That's a great idea. I have a friend who works that event...he distributes MOPAR parts and works events like this. Plus I could show the kid the alma mater while we're at it.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:16 AM   #18
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
That's a great idea. I have a friend who works that event...he distributes MOPAR parts and works events like this. Plus I could show the kid the alma mater while we're at it.
I didn't know Saul Alinsky State had a campus in Gainesville.

Bring your earplugs or your shooting ear muff thingies. It is ear-bleeding loud.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:29 AM   #19
pushrod
Founding Member
 
pushrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Baja 'Bama
Posts: 3,642
Default

+10 on the hearing protection!

There is nothing like it! I've been to only one event, and that was up at SIR, back when the bleachers were really close to the start (1983).

I'd never witnessed anything stouter than pro-stock drags before.

We got used to the stock, then pro-stock cars. They were not all that loud, and they gave you a heads-up, 'cause they put up shields to protect the cars behind them when they heated the tires.

So there we are, laughing and spilling beer, not paying any attention, when the first alcohol funny car just rolls through the water and punches it.

I almost wet myself! I might've screamed like a girl, except I couldn't hear anything!
__________________
You would not understand,
this is not how I am...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #20
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
+10 on the hearing protection!

There is nothing like it! I've been to only one event, and that was up at SIR, back when the bleachers were really close to the start (1983).

I'd never witnessed anything stouter than pro-stock drags before.

We got used to the stock, then pro-stock cars. They were not all that loud, and they gave you a heads-up, 'cause they put up shields to protect the cars behind them when they heated the tires.

So there we are, laughing and spilling beer, not paying any attention, when the first alcohol funny car just rolls through the water and punches it.

I almost wet myself! I might've screamed like a girl, except I couldn't hear anything!

S.I.R. used to be a total party back then before it became "Family Friendly". I had a buddy who built and raced Sportsters so we used to ride up there and hang out, lot's of fun!
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off