Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 02-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #11
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
I was 20 feet from the Christmas tree. I tried to describe it to my girlfriend a million times but nothing makes sense until you see it in person.

You're whole body vibrates. It just defies everything you know about car acceleration. 7000 hp is not something to sneeze at.

He and his wife are super nice people.
Try 37 million horspower. When I worked at KSC, our boss would let people take turns going outside between the VAB and LCC to watch the Space Shuttle launch. At less than 3 miles away, the concussion when the boosters light off will knock the air out of your lungs.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #12
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Try 37 million horspower. When I worked at KSC, our boss would let people take turns going outside between the VAB and LCC to watch the Space Shuttle launch. At less than 3 miles away, the concussion when the boosters light off will knock the air out of your lungs.
I can only imagine KMo. I'd love it.

Them dragsters are going to Gainsville. Hitch up the wagons and take the boy. He'll never forget it.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:54 PM   #13
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:

Them dragsters are going to Gainsville. Hitch up the wagons and take the boy. He'll never forget it.
I watched the WinterNationals last night on ESPN. Wild stuff! I've got to go see it in person at least once.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
I watched the WinterNationals last night on ESPN. Wild stuff! I've got to go see it in person at least once.
I was at my girlfriend's house and she was making dinner and insisted I turn it on. She can't stop talking about it. Of course she can't stop talking in general but still.

How 'bout that Funny Car final. My buddy Ron lost by 2/100ths of a second on a hole-shot victory by Force? Crap!

Gorgeous in Pomona too (you can't always say that!). Sunny day with all the snow-covered local mountains.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:02 PM   #15
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
I was at my girlfriend's house and she was making dinner and insisted I turn it on. She can't stop talking about it. Of course she can't stop talking in general but still.

How 'bout that Funny Car final. My buddy Ron lost by 2/100ths of a second on a hole-shot victory by Force? Crap!

Gorgeous in Pomona too (you can't always say that!). Sunny day with all the snow-covered local mountains.
Yeah. It was weird to see the snow on the mountains in the background while everyone was wearing shorts and short-sleeved shirts. And what's with all the OG's beating all the young whipper-snappers?
Old 02-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Yeah. It was weird to see the snow on the mountains in the background while everyone was wearing shorts and short-sleeved shirts. And what's with all the OG's beating all the young whipper-snappers?
Age and guile will always defeat youth and enthusiasm.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:31 AM   #17
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:

That's a great idea. I have a friend who works that event...he distributes MOPAR parts and works events like this. Plus I could show the kid the alma mater while we're at it.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:16 AM   #18
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
That's a great idea. I have a friend who works that event...he distributes MOPAR parts and works events like this. Plus I could show the kid the alma mater while we're at it.
I didn't know Saul Alinsky State had a campus in Gainesville.

Bring your earplugs or your shooting ear muff thingies. It is ear-bleeding loud.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:29 AM   #19
pushrod
Founding Member

+10 on the hearing protection!

There is nothing like it! I've been to only one event, and that was up at SIR, back when the bleachers were really close to the start (1983).

I'd never witnessed anything stouter than pro-stock drags before.

We got used to the stock, then pro-stock cars. They were not all that loud, and they gave you a heads-up, 'cause they put up shields to protect the cars behind them when they heated the tires.

So there we are, laughing and spilling beer, not paying any attention, when the first alcohol funny car just rolls through the water and punches it.

I almost wet myself! I might've screamed like a girl, except I couldn't hear anything!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #20
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
+10 on the hearing protection!

There is nothing like it! I've been to only one event, and that was up at SIR, back when the bleachers were really close to the start (1983).

I'd never witnessed anything stouter than pro-stock drags before.

We got used to the stock, then pro-stock cars. They were not all that loud, and they gave you a heads-up, 'cause they put up shields to protect the cars behind them when they heated the tires.

So there we are, laughing and spilling beer, not paying any attention, when the first alcohol funny car just rolls through the water and punches it.

I almost wet myself! I might've screamed like a girl, except I couldn't hear anything!

S.I.R. used to be a total party back then before it became "Family Friendly". I had a buddy who built and raced Sportsters so we used to ride up there and hang out, lot's of fun!

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote