Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2010, 12:46 PM   #11
12er
Founding Member
 
12er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF
Posts: 2,801
Default

I only listen to our local high school station which plays mostly alternative. All the rock stations have been decimated and Ive listened to all the classic rock I care to stomach after hearing it for almost 40 years now. Never watched Idol and dont see a reason to start and have no clue about "pop" anymore. Rap, well heard one heard them all. I just spin my tunes off the bb while riding the train to work and back and from my laptop while at work. Cant stand talk radio so the radio is pretty much worthless anywhere further than 10 miles from home (highschool stations signal is very weak). Concerts are $50 minimum now it seems so why bother.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2010, 12:54 PM   #12
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member
 
Dr_Sprocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Delmarva Peninsula
Posts: 2,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
I only listen to our local high school station which plays mostly alternative. All the rock stations have been decimated and Ive listened to all the classic rock I care to stomach after hearing it for almost 40 years now. Never watched Idol and dont see a reason to start and have no clue about "pop" anymore. Rap, well heard one heard them all. I just spin my tunes off the bb while riding the train to work and back and from my laptop while at work. Cant stand talk radio so the radio is pretty much worthless anywhere further than 10 miles from home (highschool stations signal is very weak). Concerts are $50 minimum now it seems so why bother.
Pretty much, my mainstay are the Alt Nation and Faction channels on Sirius radio. It's better than any of that tripe put out on our local pop or rock radios. At least the local stations play Green Day every once in a while.
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #13
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

"I really can't abide this American Idol caterwauling in which every song has to be wrestled like a crocodile into thrashing submission."
-writer James Wolcott
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #14
acecycleins
Founding Member
 
acecycleins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 4,129
Default

The Drive by Truckers, Mastodon, Five Eight, The Tom Collins, Sevendust, James Hall, Trances Arc, The Reverend Horton Heat, Gringo Star, Heavy Mojo, Moe........ Rock lives in different forms all over but in Atlanta these guys keep the town hopping. There are actually 5-10 more that would qualify as real entertainment. Some are local. Some just like playing to ATL crowds. All are worth the money live as long as it's a cheap venue with PBR talls iced and ready to drink.
__________________
"Slack" - a state of being in which everything flows smoothly.....a frame of mind so at ease that the universe naturally cooperates.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:02 PM   #15
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member
 
Dr_Sprocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Delmarva Peninsula
Posts: 2,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
The Drive by Truckers, Mastodon, Five Eight, The Tom Collins, Sevendust, James Hall, Trances Arc, The Reverend Horton Heat, Gringo Star, Heavy Mojo, Moe........
Holy cr@p! You know moe.?! I stumbled upon them while on iTunes. Great band (who will never get the airplay or respect they deserve)!
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #16
acecycleins
Founding Member
 
acecycleins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 4,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Holy cr@p! You know moe.?! I stumbled upon them while on iTunes. Great band (who will never get the airplay or respect they deserve)!
Every one of the bands I mentioned wouldn't get regular air play on broadcast radio. You'll hear each of them on XM. If you see any of these bands come through it's worth the ticket money.
__________________
"Slack" - a state of being in which everything flows smoothly.....a frame of mind so at ease that the universe naturally cooperates.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:16 PM   #17
12er
Founding Member
 
12er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF
Posts: 2,801
Default

I have a few Rev Horton Heat Disks, saw him open for ZZ top about 12 years ago. Blew zz off the stage.

Here's the link to my local HS station. Student DJ's are entertainingly unprofessional along with their commercials. Though all the tunes are preprogramed and loop frequently. So not good for all day listening but fun now and then.

90.5 The Edge KVHS Main page
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #18
12er
Founding Member
 
12er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF
Posts: 2,801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Pretty much, my mainstay are the Alt Nation and Faction channels on Sirius radio. It's better than any of that tripe put out on our local pop or rock radios. At least the local stations play Green Day every once in a while.
I'm too cheap to subscribe and never knew if they would be here tomorrow. We only have one rock station in the bay area anymore and they lean too classic for me. Luckily we have a local music store that took over the old Tower Records when they folded. I peruse the 1.95 and 2.95 cd's about every few months and find some good stuff. Picked up Velvet Revolver, couple old powerman 5000 disks and the first queens of the stone age cd for under $10, cant beat that.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #19
tripleripple
Founding Member
 
tripleripple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL
Posts: 421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
The Drive by Truckers, Mastodon, Five Eight, The Tom Collins, Sevendust, James Hall, Trances Arc, The Reverend Horton Heat, Gringo Star, Heavy Mojo, Moe........ Rock lives in different forms all over but in Atlanta these guys keep the town hopping. There are actually 5-10 more that would qualify as real entertainment. Some are local. Some just like playing to ATL crowds. All are worth the money live as long as it's a cheap venue with PBR talls iced and ready to drink.
I've seen the Truckers a couple times and Jason Isbell solo. They put on one loud show and are always a good time. Just found out today they are coming thru my town in April. I'll be there with bells on, the only problem is none of my friends are into good music so I'll be alone.
I know, world's smallest violin and all...

And to restore anyone's faith in today's youth: The Black Keys on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

Last edited by tripleripple : 02-05-2010 at 07:14 PM.
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #20
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

John Mayall. Don't leave home without him. And don't forget to bring Joe Bonamassa while you're at it.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off