Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle.Com Lounge (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/)
-   -   Where have all the good musicians gone? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/14294-where-have-all-good-musicians-gone.html)

12er 02-05-2010 12:46 PM

I only listen to our local high school station which plays mostly alternative. All the rock stations have been decimated and Ive listened to all the classic rock I care to stomach after hearing it for almost 40 years now. Never watched Idol and dont see a reason to start and have no clue about "pop" anymore. Rap, well heard one heard them all. I just spin my tunes off the bb while riding the train to work and back and from my laptop while at work. Cant stand talk radio so the radio is pretty much worthless anywhere further than 10 miles from home (highschool stations signal is very weak). Concerts are $50 minimum now it seems so why bother.

Dr_Sprocket 02-05-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12er (Post 233747)
I only listen to our local high school station which plays mostly alternative. All the rock stations have been decimated and Ive listened to all the classic rock I care to stomach after hearing it for almost 40 years now. Never watched Idol and dont see a reason to start and have no clue about "pop" anymore. Rap, well heard one heard them all. I just spin my tunes off the bb while riding the train to work and back and from my laptop while at work. Cant stand talk radio so the radio is pretty much worthless anywhere further than 10 miles from home (highschool stations signal is very weak). Concerts are $50 minimum now it seems so why bother.

Pretty much, my mainstay are the Alt Nation and Faction channels on Sirius radio. It's better than any of that tripe put out on our local pop or rock radios. At least the local stations play Green Day every once in a while.

Kenneth_Moore 02-05-2010 01:49 PM

"I really can't abide this American Idol caterwauling in which every song has to be wrestled like a crocodile into thrashing submission."
-writer James Wolcott

acecycleins 02-05-2010 01:58 PM

The Drive by Truckers, Mastodon, Five Eight, The Tom Collins, Sevendust, James Hall, Trances Arc, The Reverend Horton Heat, Gringo Star, Heavy Mojo, Moe........ Rock lives in different forms all over but in Atlanta these guys keep the town hopping. There are actually 5-10 more that would qualify as real entertainment. Some are local. Some just like playing to ATL crowds. All are worth the money live as long as it's a cheap venue with PBR talls iced and ready to drink.

Dr_Sprocket 02-05-2010 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 233755)
The Drive by Truckers, Mastodon, Five Eight, The Tom Collins, Sevendust, James Hall, Trances Arc, The Reverend Horton Heat, Gringo Star, Heavy Mojo, Moe........

Holy cr@p! You know moe.?! I stumbled upon them while on iTunes. Great band (who will never get the airplay or respect they deserve)!

acecycleins 02-05-2010 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 233756)
Holy cr@p! You know moe.?! I stumbled upon them while on iTunes. Great band (who will never get the airplay or respect they deserve)!

Every one of the bands I mentioned wouldn't get regular air play on broadcast radio. You'll hear each of them on XM. If you see any of these bands come through it's worth the ticket money.

12er 02-05-2010 03:16 PM

I have a few Rev Horton Heat Disks, saw him open for ZZ top about 12 years ago. Blew zz off the stage.

Here's the link to my local HS station. Student DJ's are entertainingly unprofessional along with their commercials. Though all the tunes are preprogramed and loop frequently. So not good for all day listening but fun now and then.

90.5 The Edge KVHS Main page

12er 02-05-2010 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 233748)
Pretty much, my mainstay are the Alt Nation and Faction channels on Sirius radio. It's better than any of that tripe put out on our local pop or rock radios. At least the local stations play Green Day every once in a while.

I'm too cheap to subscribe and never knew if they would be here tomorrow. We only have one rock station in the bay area anymore and they lean too classic for me. Luckily we have a local music store that took over the old Tower Records when they folded. I peruse the 1.95 and 2.95 cd's about every few months and find some good stuff. Picked up Velvet Revolver, couple old powerman 5000 disks and the first queens of the stone age cd for under $10, cant beat that.

tripleripple 02-05-2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 233755)
The Drive by Truckers, Mastodon, Five Eight, The Tom Collins, Sevendust, James Hall, Trances Arc, The Reverend Horton Heat, Gringo Star, Heavy Mojo, Moe........ Rock lives in different forms all over but in Atlanta these guys keep the town hopping. There are actually 5-10 more that would qualify as real entertainment. Some are local. Some just like playing to ATL crowds. All are worth the money live as long as it's a cheap venue with PBR talls iced and ready to drink.

I've seen the Truckers a couple times and Jason Isbell solo. They put on one loud show and are always a good time. Just found out today they are coming thru my town in April. I'll be there with bells on, the only problem is none of my friends are into good music so I'll be alone.
I know, world's smallest violin and all...

And to restore anyone's faith in today's youth: The Black Keys on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

seruzawa 02-07-2010 02:15 PM

John Mayall. Don't leave home without him. And don't forget to bring Joe Bonamassa while you're at it.