Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle.Com Lounge (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/)
-   -   More "Settled" Science Pt. II (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/14242-more-settled-science-pt-ii.html)

seruzawa 01-29-2010 07:18 AM

More "Settled" Science Pt. II

LOL!

Water vapour is a major cause of global warming and cooling find scientists - Telegraph

But... I thought they already knew everything and the science was "settled". ROTFL!

Also:

MichaelCrichton.com | Aliens Cause Global Warming

Good companion piece.

Buzglyd 01-29-2010 07:53 AM

Well the GW terrorists have an answer for everything.

"It's a delicate balance. Of course there's water vapor up there. It's the part that's added by BUSH! and Big Tobacco! that's screwing it all up."

acecycleins 01-29-2010 08:20 AM

Didn't we learn from Stargate that Ra (the sun god) was a mean evil grey alien? Always knew those little bastards were up to no good.

Ken should chime in at any time that they were the first republicans.

Kenneth_Moore 01-29-2010 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 233245)
Didn't we learn from Stargate that Ra (the sun god) was a mean evil grey alien? Always knew those little bastards were up to no good.

Ken should chime in at any time that they were the first republicans.

You guys should read stuff before you make snarky comments on it. Chrichton's article is probably the most well-thought out, rational argument AGAINST the Global Warming camp I've ever read.

Take a few minutes and read it. It's impressive.

schizuki 01-29-2010 08:52 AM

There's been yet another embarrassment to the IPCC. Turns out their claim that "40 percent of the Amazon rainforest in South America was endangered by global warming" was not (shocking!) part of a "rigorous, peer-reviewed scientific consensus", but instead "the findings were based on numbers from a study by the World Wildlife Federation that had nothing to do with the issue of global warming -- and that was written by a freelance journalist and green activist... [T]he original '40 percent' figure came from a letter published in the journal Nature that discussed harmful logging activities -- and again had nothing to do with global warming."

Now, you might think that after this string of embarrassments and revelations of the slipshod and utterly unscientific nature of the IPCC report, they might be a bit apologetic. Maybe offer to start over.

You would be wrong.

"Jean-Pascal van Ypersele, vice chairman of the IPCC, was quoted in the European press as saying, "I would like to submit that this could increase the credibility of the IPCC, not decrease it. Aren't mistakes human? Even the IPCC is a human institution."

Isn't that cute? The IPCC is even more credible because they're a bunch of f***-ups! Double-plus-good! Let's spend billions to fix this problem!

But hey, my link is from Fox News, so every empirical fact and direct quote is obviously a complete fabrication. I mean, "Jean-Pascal van Ypersele" sounds totally made-up.

Buzglyd 01-29-2010 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 233249)
You guys should read stuff before you make snarky comments on it. Chrichton's article is probably the most well-thought out, rational argument AGAINST the Global Warming camp I've ever read.

Take a few minutes and read it. It's impressive.

What's even more amazing is that Chrichton is dead.

seruzawa 01-29-2010 10:29 AM

Crichton's article is not an argument against Global Warming as much as an argument against bad science. The bad science on the subject eventually torpedoes any possibility of discovering true causes and effects concerning the weather.

The_AirHawk 01-29-2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 233252)
What's even more amazing is that Chrichton is dead.

Or that he wrote this in 2003:

Quote:

As with nuclear winter, bad science is used to promote what most people would consider good policy. I certainly think it is. I don't want people smoking around me. So who will speak out against banning second-hand smoke? Nobody, and if you do, you'll be branded a shill of RJ Reynolds. A big tobacco flunky. But the truth is that we now have a social policy supported by the grossest of superstitions. And we've given the EPA a bad lesson in how to behave in the future. We've told them that cheating is the way to succeed.

Almost Prophetic, in light of the EPA declaring CO2 a Danger to the Entire Planet.

A Star Ride 01-29-2010 11:42 AM

We're all gonna die anyway, will the melting polar caps flood us all from existance or will the sun cook us first?

The_AirHawk 01-29-2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Star Ride (Post 233266)
We're all gonna die anyway, will the melting polar caps flood us all from existance or will the sun cook us first?

I think we're gonna freeze into MOcicles........