Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 01-27-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Lee Iacocca Get Some!

Altered data. Never mind.

Last edited by seruzawa : 01-27-2010 at 03:23 PM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
The Biggest 'C' is Crisis!
I thought the biggest "C" was Janeane Garofalo.

Quote:
Make your own contribution by sending this to everyone you know and care about.
This was sounding fishy while I was reading it, and it's mega-piscine now. Time for Google...

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
schizuki
Founding Member

Yep. It's Snopesworthy.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I just picked up the book last week in the B&N "Bargain Bin" for six bucks.

I'll let you know if it's worth reading.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I read his first book, it had some interesting history, especially about the Ford days. But there was a lot of stupid stuff like: "we knew we had to increase sales to drive the bottom line..."

The dumbest part was the entire chapter he devoted to explaining in gory detail how tens of thousands of Americans would be killed or maimed by airbags if the government forced them on us. "These EXPLOSIVES are going to be in YOUR CAR...blah blah blah." What a dope.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
acecycleins
Founding Member

At the time air bags did explode with more force. People were hurt often by the deployment of the bags. Little did he know that engineers quickly resolve most of the issues. But if you look at head injuries for airbag users from the insurance institute in the 80's they paid a bunch of claims that were the direct result of early airbag technology.

My grandfather was good friends with Mr I. The man was a tough businessman. He had a great sense of humor, too.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

You'd have to read the chapter to see what I mean. He wasn't talking about people getting whacked by an airbag (been there, done that, hurts like crap). He said that in a few years the blower-uppers would start spontaneously blowing up, starting fires, dogs living with cats. Stuff like that.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
You'd have to read the chapter to see what I mean. He wasn't talking about people getting whacked by an airbag (been there, done that, hurts like crap). He said that in a few years the blower-uppers would start spontaneously blowing up, starting fires, dogs living with cats. Stuff like that.
Why that dirty rotten stinkin' Pinko-Commie! I should just burn his book to spite him!
Old 01-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Why that dirty rotten stinkin' Pinko-Commie! I should just burn his book to spite him!
The lot of airbags are made at Thiokol in Utah. There were many problems with earlier bags and the poo-pooed data about them killing people has some truth to it. Why else are people required to put their kids in the back seat. So Iacocca may have exaggerated, but he wasn't entirely wrong.

Iacocco's exaggerations are nothing compared to Obamas or Pelosi's. He can't have the FBI haul you off to jail either.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #10
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
The lot of airbags are made at Thiokol in Utah. There were many problems with earlier bags and the poo-pooed data about them killing people has some truth to it. Why else are people required to put their kids in the back seat. So Iacocca may have exaggerated, but he wasn't entirely wrong.

Iacocco's exaggerations are nothing compared to Obamas or Pelosi's. He can't have the FBI haul you off to jail either.
Arrrgh!

That's like TWICE today nobody caught my sarcasm!

Yeah, I remember the first-gen bags, and all the "delayed deployment" horror-stories from the '80s. My own opinion is that the gub'mint should have left the hell alone - the mfgr's were ALREADY headed toward universal adoption of them, but the technology needed to "stew" a bit longer. There would have been few or no horror-stories if they'd just let the market decide.

So far as "lives saved" - there's STILL nearly the same number of people killed every year in crashes, so it's dubious as to the veracity of the "lifesaving" airbag claims. We'll never know, as nobody is willing to relive the accident where their life was "saved by an airbag", only do it without the airbag to find out if it would have killed them. And those who died due to a "lack" of airbags? Well, it doesn't matter to them one way or another.

I get the impression from some that they believe the airbag is a miracle-crutch that should go off and prevent the accident in the first place. I've got a friend of mine that turned-over a '95 Dodge Ram pulling a trailer full of cattle - drove it off the side of an embankment into a deep ditch. No frontal impact, no collision with any immovable object, he and the other two guys walked-away with hardly a scratch (can't say the same for the cattle), and it WAS HIS OWN DAMN FAULT. He decided because the airbag didn't deploy, that he could extort a half-million or so from Chrysler over it. Thankfully, he lost the Lawsuit.

To this day he believes that the airbag's failure to explode in his face is the cause of that wreck.

I shyte you not.