Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 12-11-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Bad moon on the rise?

..well more scary stuff from the nattering nabob of negativism, me...

Places that have been in business for decades are folding like cardboard condos out here on the left coast.

Serve-Well, an appliance outlet that served the Glendale area for the last fifty years has just gone under...

The gun shop where I've bought surplus 7.92x57 for the last twenty years, that has been in business since 1950 is boarded up tight, along with sundry mom and pop hardware stores and paint shops...

The auto parts place where I've been buying stuff for the last 30 years is out of business. The new Home Despot in Burbank has about three cars in the parking lot at any given time, and is laying workers off in droves.

Burbank Triumph...oops, I mean Kawasaki is on the ropes. They've been in biz since the late fifties btw.

And perhaps the most scary item is the folding of off-road.com. As of January it's history.

Like the penny stocks that sank the economy on Black Tuesday in 1929, will the credit debacle and the unbridled printing of currency make the great depression look like a cake walk (sorry, some civil war terminolgy there folks)?

I dunno, like old CCR said don't go out tonight...

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Your problems are far more than the national economy. Business is doing okay in many parts of the country. Not great, but I haven't seen a lot of businesses closed up in Salt Lake. Your problems in Kalifornia are compounded by an insane legislature dominated by out-of-control Democrats and a population of looters who vote for big benefits looted from the "rich". The "rich" are leaving. Business has been flooding out of Kalif for years. Ask Buz where his business is headquartered? Only a fool would base a corporation in Kalif or open a business there now. New York has the same problem. Any area that becomes dominated by looters and moochers will experience the same thing. Maybe Kalif Democrats should build a fence to keep people in just like their political brethren did in East Europe in the 50s. Except they could call it the "Wall of Love" rather than the Iron Curtain. That's the only way to keep decent people in when the criminal psychopaths take over.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
schizuki
Founding Member

You know what would be nice, though, Seru? If all of the people fleeing Cali for New Mexico and Arizona, and fleeing New York for North Carolina, and fleeing Massachusetts for New Hampshire, would not then continue voting the exact same way they did that made their old state the unlivable craphole they fled.

There is nothing that illustrates the liberal incapacity for logical thought better than this profound failure of recognition of cause and effect. So they soil their own nest and then find a well-run "red" state to destroy.

It reminds me of Independence Day - "They're like locusts. They're moving from planet to planet... their whole civilization. After they've consumed every natural resource they move on... and we're next."

Nuke 'em. Let's nuke the bastards.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Yes, points well taken, I agree 100%.

It's astounding to me how anything like this can happen, seeing how pragmatic honest hard working folk ran these places, and as such should be thriving, by the virtue of those same attributes that made them a success in the first place.

I am pi$$ed off mostly, because I'm almost out of 8mm Mauser, and now have no where to purchase it at a rational price. Ten cents a round made re-loading stupid (along with drilling out berdan primered cases).

And McFarlands Auto parts sold 15/40 Dello for $4.95 a gallon. Fair price for a good product.

Serve-Well serviced most of the HVAC and cooking appliances of resturants in the Glendale-Burbank area for years, you saw thier trucks everywhere.

And I refuse to go to WalMart, Home Despot or any other big box store, just because. (Costco not withstanding).

Yes, it's change alright. Pretty soon just spare change.

Oh well, time to go work on the Go Devil...(it's all hand controls btw).

And don't forget to look for the NEW DEAL in motorcycle websites on the way soon to your local internet.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Florida isn't in terrible shape, but there is nothing but service jobs here. South Florida used to have banks, insurance companies, even manufacturing jobs. For some reason, 90% of them left during the mid 90's. Maybe Hurricane Andrew scared them...I dunno.

Used to be I could pick and choose IT jobs; promotions and raises were the norm. Then the internet bubble popped and it's been crap since. Kids coming out of High School have NOTHING to look forward to aside from the military. College degrees are a little better, if they have a focus like accounting or pharmacy. General degrees aren't worth much. Construction was good until the housing market took a dump, now that's as dead as a doornail.

But I saw the same thing when I graduated from college in the 80's. I had to work at Woolworths for almost a year till a real job came along. Eventually our economy will rebound, it always has.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Yes, like when the t shirt vendor guy at the Adelanto GP said to me in '06, when I missed the race because of traffic.."Oh there's always next year.." Nope.

Sure, eventually it will rebound, but with a TWO TRILLION DOLLAR DEBT staring us in the face, that might be well after we're all planted.

Or at least on our third set of teeth. I guess other parts of the country aren't as bad as here. But you know the old saying...
Old 12-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Florida isn't in terrible shape, but there is nothing but service jobs here. South Florida used to have banks, insurance companies, even manufacturing jobs. For some reason, 90% of them left during the mid 90's. Maybe Hurricane Andrew scared them...I dunno.

Used to be I could pick and choose IT jobs; promotions and raises were the norm. Then the internet bubble popped and it's been crap since. Kids coming out of High School have NOTHING to look forward to aside from the military. College degrees are a little better, if they have a focus like accounting or pharmacy. General degrees aren't worth much. Construction was good until the housing market took a dump, now that's as dead as a doornail.

But I saw the same thing when I graduated from college in the 80's. I had to work at Woolworths for almost a year till a real job came along. Eventually our economy will rebound, it always has.
We've got an office in FL but it's not easy finding employees. The majority of the population is so freaking old and the rest (except for you of course, Kenneth) is a bunch of redneck, hayseeds.

Let's face it, the internet bubble was no different than the mortgage bubble. It was rampant speculation and air. The main difference was the mortgage bubble was underwritten by the taxpayer.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

So I guess Cuddy isnt wondering how many states would go under if Californy left the US?? LOL I wonder how many states have to pony up to bail out that 39 BILLION Californy debt? I wouldn't give them a penny.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:32 PM   #9
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Yes, like when the t shirt vendor guy at the Adelanto GP said to me in '06, when I missed the race because of traffic.."Oh there's always next year.." Nope.

Sure, eventually it will rebound, but with a TWO TRILLION DOLLAR DEBT staring us in the face, that might be well after we're all planted.

Or at least on our third set of teeth. I guess other parts of the country aren't as bad as here. But you know the old saying...
Remember when Ross Perot was running for Pres? He had all those charts and graphs showing in undeniable fact that unless he were elected and immediately slashed gummit spending to the bone, our economy would collapse and our grandkids would be eating dirt. Then 8 years later Clinton handed Bush a budget surplus. Don't let the hype get to you...we'll be ok.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:51 PM   #10
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

[quote=Buzglyd;229915
Let's face it, the internet bubble was no different than the mortgage bubble. It was rampant speculation and air. The main difference was the mortgage bubble was underwritten by the taxpayer.[/QUOTE]

No, that is wrong. The internet bubble produced real value. Look at what we're doing now: we went from some fairly useful standalone PCs (and maybe a dial-up service like AOL) to broadband connectivity for data, video, music, hell these days voice is virtually free. People were working...productively...tho build the networks, install the swithes and routers and fiber and firewalls. A lot of companies were building and selling real products (Cisco, IBM, hundreds if startups). Programmers, designers, analysts worked to create the content, invent online selling systems. All the support companies like airlines, shipping companies, were all making money too.

In the housing bubble a house that didn't change one iota, that was in the same neighborhood, etc. was suddenly, supposedly, worth 2 times or more what it was a year before. I think that's a very different thing; fantasy "value" that was clearly baloney