Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle.Com Lounge (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/)
-   -   Laptop search (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/13880-laptop-search.html)

acecycleins 12-10-2009 01:13 PM

Laptop search

I'm updating my computing power with a new purchase. Hearing people whine about brands of laptops is kind of like hearing them whine about which insurance company sucks worse.

I am looking at a Lenovo U330- w/ XP Pro avail 7 pro upgrade. It has many more features than my current Toshiba. I do like my Toshiba, however. It's been hound dog reliable for 3 years. It's time to upgrade to something faster. I looked at "like" Toshiba laptops, but the Lenovo has pretty decent reviews. I need to keep the price under $600 for the new product. The Lenovo is $500 at Frys.

So, what do you use? Tell me your thoughts. Budget is paramount so don't come back saying I need a Macbook Pro. Ain't happenin'.

BTW- that 13" screen size is purposeful. It will fit flat in my hardbags and I'll still have enough room for week-end gear in both bags.

Kenneth_Moore 12-10-2009 01:26 PM

Anything but Dell.

I always had great luck with Toshiba; if they have one in your price range, buy it. They use Lenovo here at work a lot, the only thing I've heard bad is that they consume batteries rapidly.

The_AirHawk 12-10-2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 229792)
Anything but Dell.

Double that.

And a few more wordies for the Nannie.

Buzglyd 12-10-2009 01:55 PM

I'd make sure it at least has Windows 7. XP is more than a decade old and sucks a$$.

pushrod 12-10-2009 02:09 PM

Not to rain on your parade, Kirk, but if your present machine isn't fitted with all the RAM it'll hold, you'll get a good improvement in performance just by fixin' that.

Likewise, uninstall McAfee or Symantec and use something like AVG from Grisoft, and Zonealarm. Much less resource-sucking apps. And you can get Free versions of both the ones I mentioned.

mscuddy 12-10-2009 03:00 PM

I use a Soviet-era mini-laptop that has 356K of ram and is the size of a small trailer. It good for sitting on in terminal waiting for Aeroflot flight to get un-stuck from mud at end of runway. .

longride 12-10-2009 03:18 PM

"Hearing people whine about brands of laptops is kind of like hearing them whine about which insurance company sucks worse."

True. I'm staying out of this one. My true opinionis that they are all good. The components are the same in every PC and laptop, it's just how much you are paying for those components. The name on the outside doesn't mean much.

The_AirHawk 12-10-2009 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 229815)
"Hearing people whine about brands of laptops is kind of like hearing them whine about which insurance company sucks worse."

True. I'm staying out of this one. My true opinionis that they are all good. The components are the same in every PC and laptop, it's just how much you are paying for those components. The name on the outside doesn't mean much.

Unless it SUCKS............. (like "Dell")

longride 12-10-2009 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 229816)
Unless it SUCKS............. (like "Dell")

Dell doesn't use any different components than anyone else. Our company of 500 users use everything Dell including our 25 servers, and we haven't had much trouble with anything. We are also a Dell reseller, and every thing we ship with our liquid monitors is a Dell product, so I have a bit of knowledge about Dell products.

newagetwotone 12-10-2009 07:24 PM

I love my mac... LOVE it. been using apples since i was a kid but DONT buy a mac book theyre plastic. great computer, terrible case, just don't stand up to ANY wear.