Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 11-06-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default Consignment- RIP Storage Idea

Well, I can't find a location suitable and for the right rent to proceed with my novel idea of motorcycle storage.

New Idea: Powersports/accessories/apparel consignment. I wouldn't technically be a dealer so I don't have to carry shopkeeper's insurance. I'm not employing mechanics (but an independent wrench may set up shop- still working on the liability aspect of that).

Why? 'Cause it's winter and insurance is slow and my mind keeps thinking of new, odd outlets that motorcyclist would be keen on using.

I would set it up to sell bikes, gear & accessories. Bikes would be consigned on a fee base on $5k increments (with the highest fee of $300- bikes selling for more than $15K) and everything else would collect a 10% fee. I would have to set up an ebay store as part of the service. After playing with around with floor space I figure I need about 4000 sqft. I would have to sell an average of 8 bikes monthly to pay rent. 10 bikes would pay the lights.
Mostly, this is a service for people that don't like dealing with other people. After looking at today's Craigslist ads I can easily say that there are easily 50-75 people a month that would use my service. Question is how many would buy from my shop?
I'd still be operating my insurance agency out of the same location. I would not be responsible for financing, but would lead the customer to proper finance outlets. My job would be to show the item and sell it via my retail location or ebay. It's a high motorcycle traffic highway that sees thousands of bikes .
My biggest glitch is breaking it to my wife. It'd probably get me divorced if I can't pitch it to her right.
Ahh, the life of the self-employed. Slow business and a busy mind are a bad combination.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Here's the biz Ace. Do a mobile motorcycle service. You do the service on location. Kind of like the house calls doctors make. Have Wrench Will Travel. You heard it here first.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:28 AM   #3
pplassm
Founding Member

Craigslist is free. Hard to compete with that. Just ask the newspapers.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

There are many people that don't want to deal with the riff raff that don't mind paying for a little help. Sometimes it just helps to be in a position to have the bike in an easy to see retail (safe) location. Wouldn't that be worth it if you still get your bottom line anyway? Kinda like those guys that run ebay stores.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

You're tossing out the storage/clubhouse idea already? Hmmm...I'll start scanning the real estate down here and see what I can drum up. I'd better have something in mind before GE sends my job to India.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #6
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
You're tossing out the storage/clubhouse idea already? Hmmm...I'll start scanning the real estate down here and see what I can drum up. I'd better have something in mind before GE sends my job to India.
Yep. I figured I would have to have a place that's at least 40k sqft and pre-sell a minimum of 300 slots just to open. It'd take too long to get into black for it to work this season and I can't find the right facility at the right price (about $4 sqft).

LR- I had this whole business plan doing a quick-lube thing for bikes. It's on paper and a guy in AZ that owns the BikerBays shops has already put most of my ideas into practice. Do you think I could hustle enough business to take it mobile? I figure I would have to hit corporate sites first. Booking the day at one location type of thing. I'm not a certified wrench. I'd have to hire labor. I'd do the booking and marketing, but someone else would be doing the driving and wrenching. Think it's still possible and what would you pay for an oil change if I showed up on your door?