Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 11-06-2009, 08:23 AM   #1
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Default New Tars......

Well I got my new tires wednesday, in typical union schmuck fashion I took a day off work to do it. I even had the Harley dealer do all the work! The bike is after all still under warranty..I just rode it in and drank free coffee in front of the fireplace while skilled technicians returned my bike to a fine fettle and even washed it when they were done...(so this is how the other half lives eh?)

I was just going to get a rear D402 but realistically the front was down there too so I wound up getting a new one as well. No trouble really because I usually replace in sets. My front pads were just about gone so they were replaced while the wheel was off, also the rear isolator drive pads in the hub were sloppy so those got renewed too.

I went with the Dunlops, mainly because of the phenomenal (to me) mileage I got out of them. True they're slick in wet weather but at reasonable speeds they grip well enough and when they do slide they're pretty predictable. Dry traction is fine and with the ABS they don't skid, all-in all a decent tire for the bike.

There you have it, typical piece of crap HD, 18.5 k miles and 1 year and a few months ownership and I'm already putting money in it, of course other than oil and filters and 1 bulb this is the ONLY money I've put in it that's beside the point.

Signed; Typical Harley Fag...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
pushrod
Founding Member

Jeez!

Touch wood or sumthin'!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

HD Mike got a new rear on his Ultra Deelux. Since he's never figured out the front brake thing, he needed pads on the rear caliper as well. With under 10k miles on the bike...one wonders if it will sink in. FOUR HUNNERT BEANS for his little excursion. They did do a bang-up job making his front whiteguywall look new.

I'm waiting for my new Conti Trail Attack front to come in. Two weeks on back-order and counting. I got 17.5k on the original Trailwing, not bad.

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 11-06-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #4
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I used to figure on 10 k for the Pilot Roads on my Trophy and Bandit, I usually wound up with around 12k or so...

I could have gotten 20k out of the rear this time and more than that for the front, but I was already sliding around pretty good in just fog. In any kind of rain it's just not worth it to try and get the max amount of wear at the expense of traction. The front pads were no surprise because I hardly ever even use the rear, the two front Brembo's are so good you really don't even need it.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Y'know, I've been givin' that "Harley Thing" some thought. You might even go so far as to label me "Bike-Curious"............
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:53 PM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Y'know, I've been givin' that "Harley Thing" some thought. You might even go so far as to label me "Bike-Curious"............
No, no, no. If you've come this far without Harleying, it's not going change now. Sure, maybe some people "experiment" in college...especially after a keg party or what have you. But your bikentation is pretty much set at birth. In the past, it was said it's a learned behavior, and the usual moral judgements applied, but now we know that Harleyism is a disease, and we treat it as such.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
No, no, no. If you've come this far without Harleying, it's not going change now. Sure, maybe some people "experiment" in college...especially after a keg party or what have you. But your bikentation is pretty much set at birth. In the past, it was said it's a learned behavior, and the usual moral judgements applied, but now we know that Harleyism is a disease, and we treat it as such.
You haven't heard my Hawk............
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:42 PM   #8
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Speaking of sittin' by the Harley fireplace, when I was on vaca last month I had the 15K service on the Uly done. The dealership in Maryville, TN had a detached bar/restaurant/concert stage deal. I have to say, nice! Since the service was three hours, I even decided to have a brew. I kept thinking to myself, "... so that's how the other half lives!"
Old 11-06-2009, 10:34 PM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Speaking of sittin' by the Harley fireplace, when I was on vaca last month I had the 15K service on the Uly done. The dealership in Maryville, TN had a detached bar/restaurant/concert stage deal. I have to say, nice! Since the service was three hours, I even decided to have a brew. I kept thinking to myself, "... so that's how the other half lives!"

Isn't that something? I usually get the bike in the air, take off the back wheel, take it in, get a tire put on, then take off the front, take it in etc....then do the brakes while the wheels off.... I had the Dyna balanced on 2x4's and a car jack and the God dam* thing fell off and wedged itself upside down half under my work bench! I almost had a heart attack when I saw it, not to mention wrestling the stupid SOB back on the stand with no rear wheel.

This time I rode it in, told them what I wanted and handed them my debit card when they were done. Two hours and half a gallon of coffee later I'm rolling down the street on a sparkly clean bike with new tires and brakes....a feller' could get used to this

Old 11-07-2009, 03:57 AM   #10
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"This time I rode it in, told them what I wanted and handed them my debit card when they were done. Two hours and half a gallon of coffee later I'm rolling down the street on a sparkly clean bike with new tires and brakes....a feller' could get used to this"

You can get used to anything as long as the credit card has a large credit limit! I wouldn't trust any shop to put air in my tires, much less work on anything else. I either do it myself, or I have a couple of buddies that can do it for me at about half of what Harley would charge. After I buy a bike, those guys will never see it again.