Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle.Com Lounge (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/)
-   -   New Tars...... (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/13601-new-tars.html)

Kenneth_Moore 11-08-2009 02:09 PM

As the owner / spokesidiot from Tire Kingdom used to shout on TeeVee:
"TARS AIN'T PRETTY!" But new chains are.

Yesterday I spent a few hours installing a new X-ring chain, front and rear sprockets, and new cush drive dampers on the DL1000. Holy ****, what a difference!! I had no idea how noisy and jerky the old stuff had become after 17.5K miles, the wear and slop just creeps in, I guess. Now the bike is so smooth, quiet, and fun to ride again I can't wait to go to work tomorrow. Next time I'll do it at 12k or so. And will probably let the shop do it; what a pain the ass job that was. My fingernails will be black for a month after cleaning that chain gruck out of the front sprocket cover.

seruzawa 11-08-2009 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 227754)
I had the Dyna balanced on 2x4's and a car jack....

Say no more. LOL!

Dr_Sprocket 11-08-2009 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 227800)
As the owner / spokesidiot from Tire Kingdom used to shout on TeeVee:
"TARS AIN'T PRETTY!" But new chains are.

Yesterday I spent a few hours installing a new X-ring chain... And will probably let the shop do it; what a pain the ass job that was. My fingernails will be black for a month after cleaning that chain gruck out of the front sprocket cover.

There's another reason for the Buells (moment of silence)... very low maintenance.

sarnali2 11-09-2009 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 227805)
Say no more. LOL!

Well it LOOKED sturdy enough............LOL

The_AirHawk 11-09-2009 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 227848)
Well it LOOKED sturdy enough............LOL

Y'know, they make these things they call "Motorcycle Jacks" you can pick up damnear anyplace for like ~$70 or so - it'll hold a 900lb ATV easily - might strain a bit with that Dyna, but it'll hold.............

Kenneth_Moore 11-09-2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 227850)
Y'know, they make these things they call "Motorcycle Jacks" you can pick up damnear anyplace for like ~$70 or so - it'll hold a 900lb ATV easily - might strain a bit with that Dyna, but it'll hold.............

Right up until the owner of said motorcycle decides to lean against the bike and knock it off. Use the strap, Luke...Use the strap...

seruzawa 11-09-2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 227857)
Right up until the owner of said motorcycle decides to lean against the bike and knock it off. Use the strap, Luke...Use the strap...

Or prop it up straight with more 2x4s.

sarnali2 11-09-2009 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 227865)
Or prop it up straight with more 2x4s.

No, no, no....you use a body stand with a 2x4 laid across it for the forks, then use the floor jack with some 2x4's on it under the tranny. That way you can take the front and rear wheels off at the same time. You only have to make one trip to the Cycle Gear for tires that way!