Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 11-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #11
DeadJet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I've been a HST fan since I was a kid. My cousin who gave me my first ride (on a 60's BSA in L.A.) had it on a cross-country camping trip. I read it then and again a couple of times since then. Have you ever read his political stuff like Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail? The stuff he wrote on Edmund Muskie's Ibogain drug habit was hysterical. He even took a limo ride with then-candidate **** Nixon, that was another memorable passage.
No, I've read Hell's Angels and Fear and Loathing as well as his last, unfinished passages that were published in Playboy a few years back. I also heard that he secured an interview with Nixon only if they talked about football?

I wonder what Thompson would have had to say about Barger on a Triumph.
DeadJet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2009, 03:16 PM   #12
pushrod
Founding Member

I saw this on the History Channel. It was part of the show, "Hillbillies" (or something close) which was hosted by Billy Ray Cyrus.

He called it "The War You Never Heard Of".

Battle of Blair Mountain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh, and the striking miners all wore red neckerchiefs. They were called "Rednecks."

Here is a link to the HC site: Hillbilly: The Real Story

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.

Last edited by pushrod : 11-03-2009 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Added linky
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #13
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
I saw this on the History Channel. It was part of the show, "Hillbillies" (or something close) which was hosted by Billy Ray Cyrus.

Oh, and the striking miners all wore red neckerchiefs. They were called "Rednecks."

I saw that too! It was amazing...an entire county of workers at war with a private army funded by the running dog capitalist pigs.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #14
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

American history can be summed up in two words; Manifest Destiny..

From the very beginnings the European settlers believed down to their boots that God was not only on their side but had given them carte` blanche to subjugate and conquer the entire continent and to eliminate and enslave any lesser races that happened to be in the way. Since we did such a bang up job of that we have run out of enemies so the government now turns on it's own people with repressive laws, taxation and punishment. The government has become an all consuming monster as John Kay so eloquently put it 40 years ago...

YouTube - Monster - Steppenwolf

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #15
DeadJet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post

REALLY good find, you were right, I had never heard of that. Here's one along the same lines, and it's the anniversary, no less!

The Everett Massacre

Another union/labor related dispute, this time a gunfight being volleyed between a dock and at least two boats in Washington State, Nov. 5 1916.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:01 PM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
American history can be summed up in two words; Manifest Destiny..

From the very beginnings the European settlers believed down to their boots that God was not only on their side but had given them carte` blanche to subjugate and conquer the entire continent and to eliminate and enslave any lesser races that happened to be in the way. Since we did such a bang up job of that we have run out of enemies so the government now turns on it's own people with repressive laws, taxation and punishment. The government has become an all consuming monster as John Kay so eloquently put it 40 years ago...

YouTube - Monster - Steppenwolf
Fairy tales like "Dances With Wolves" notwithstanding the fact is that the American Indian population was made up of human beings, just as flawed as the rest of us. Many of them were brutal with war and torture being a favored pastime. Entire villages were killed from time to time. Tribes would move and kill and drive off all the other tribes in their path. They have no moral altitude from which to criticize anyone else.

If the US Govt is mutating into the Borg collective you need look no farther than your neighbors who rush to vote for anyone who promises them free stuff if you are looking for the cause.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #17
DeadJet
Registered Member

140 years ago today....

the first college football game was played.

That's a very loose description of the actual event, but it's still recognized as the first college game ever: Rutgers vs. Princeton, 1869
Old 11-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #18
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Fairy tales like "Dances With Wolves" notwithstanding the fact is that the American Indian population was made up of human beings, just as flawed as the rest of us. Many of them were brutal with war and torture being a favored pastime. Entire villages were killed from time to time. Tribes would move and kill and drive off all the other tribes in their path. They have no moral altitude from which to criticize anyone else.

If the US Govt is mutating into the Borg collective you need look no farther than your neighbors who rush to vote for anyone who promises them free stuff if you are looking for the cause.

Most of the time they moved because they had hunted out and polluted the area they lived in so bad they had no choice. The only difference between them and the Europeans was the Europeans had marginally better weapons.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #19
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Most of the time they moved because they had hunted out and polluted the area they lived in so bad they had no choice. The only difference between them and the Europeans was the Europeans had marginally better weapons.
Hmmm, not sure about that The Europeans had a much more limited environment to operate in; the Indians could hunt and trash an area and move on to new grounds, where in Europe they fought over the same turf for millenia.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #20
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
And the Europeans were able to work together in large numbers. A large army of people trained to work together can always defeat any number of individual warriors no matter how individually superior the warriors are.