Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle.Com Lounge (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/)
-   -   Fyi (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/13467-fyi.html)

longride 10-26-2009 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 226822)
How cool, the Ironheads are a favorite of mine. The engines sound like they're seconds away from grenading during normal operation, but aside from that they're great fun. No electric leg on this one?

No electric start. Just pure PAIN. If there was pushbutton start, then anybody could ride it!

Kenneth_Moore 10-26-2009 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 226849)
No electric start. Just pure PAIN. If there was pushbutton start, then anybody could ride it!

A guy who rebuilt his Ironhead at the same shop I did the FXS had a kick and a button. Was there a year they went to both?

seruzawa 10-26-2009 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 226854)
A guy who rebuilt his Ironhead at the same shop I did the FXS had a kick and a button. Was there a year they went to both?

As I recall there was an electric start XLH and a kick start only XLCH for a couple of years. They eventually dropped the kick start only XLCH and started calling a slightly cosmetically different XLH an XLCH. Around '72 I think. By that time the idea of using a Sportster for any real competition had gotten silly.

It was fun, though, in the 60s watching guys race scrambles on Sportsters down where the 90 freeway is now.

longride 10-26-2009 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 226854)

I think they may have had both by about 75 or 76. Before then, they had the two seprerate models: the XLH and the XLCH, just like the Shovel had the FX and the FXE. I'm not 100% sure the Sporty ever had both electric and kick on one model from the factory. I had an 80 Sporty and it only had electric, because they dropped the kicker altogether by then. I have a 1972, and they still had the seperate models at that time. By the VIN, this is a true XLCH, as some XLH owners converted to kick. It was real easy to have either electric, kick, or both on the early Sportys. I'm going to leave it kick only. The funny thing is that I owned a 1972 Bonneville, a 1972 Norton Commando, and now this is my second 1972 Sportster. All were points and kick only bikes. I guess I'm a real sadist with a strange penchant for the year 1972.

seruzawa 10-26-2009 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 226868)
I think they may have had both by about 75 or 76. Before then, they had the two seprerate models: the XLH and the XLCH, just like the Shovel had the FX and the FXE. I'm not 100% sure the Sporty ever had both electric and kick on one model from the factory. I had an 80 Sporty and it only had electric, because they dropped the kicker altogether by then. I have a 1972, and they still had the seperate models at that time. By the VIN, this is a true XLCH, as some XLH owners converted to kick. It was real easy to have either electric, kick, or both on the early Sportys. I'm going to leave it kick only. The funny thing is that I owned a 1972 Bonneville, a 1972 Norton Commando, and now this is my second 1972 Sportster. All were points and kick only bikes. I guess I'm a real sadist with a strange penchant for the year 1972.

There wasn't much difference by then. Both models had the same heads, cams, carb, etc. Earlier the XLCH had higher compression than the XLH (which had higher compression than the original XL). I guess the XLCH was a couple pounds lighter than the XLH. Not that any of those bike were anything like light weight. That came later in the 80's when the Japanese became so porcine and HD put a lighter frame on the Sporties. I had an 85' XLX and with ported heads and S&S carb it would easily keep with UJMs in the local mountains. Now the Sporty has gained a shytload of weight again with the rubber mounting. Too bad.

longride 10-26-2009 08:16 AM

Interesting read here.

Harley Davidson XLH 1000

Kenneth_Moore 10-26-2009 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 226868)
All were points and kick only bikes. I guess I'm a real sadist with a strange penchant for the year 1972.

The best thing I ever did was put the Crane ignition on the FXS. I went from adjusting the points 1 or 2 times on the way to Daytona to...never.

I think you might be a masochist...since you inflict pain upon yourself. Then again, you might qualify as a sado-masochist if you run drag pipes on the Ironhead and come back from the bars at 2 or 3 am.

longride 10-26-2009 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 226898)
The best thing I ever did was put the Crane ignition on the FXS. I went from adjusting the points 1 or 2 times on the way to Daytona to...never.

I think you might be a masochist...since you inflict pain upon yourself. Then again, you might qualify as a sado-masochist if you run drag pipes on the Ironhead and come back from the bars at 2 or 3 am.

Anybody that owns a 72 kick only Sporty might be something......but whatever it is, it ain't good!

12er 10-26-2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 226782)
They can arrest you for smoking in your own backyard in Rolling hills, Ca.

You cant smoke in your apt in some bay area cities.

12er 10-26-2009 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 226760)
So, let me get this straight. You are saying that a company is responsible for everything an employee does? Even when the company does a full background check and finds no evidence of criminal tendencies? LOL! In what universe is this possible or even sane?

And America was never a place where other people were blamed for the acts of a criminal. That was introduced by "it takes a village" collectivist hell-spawn..... progressives, in other words.

Of course, dumping one's own blame on others is usual for lefties. They are never responsible for the destruction of economies, lives and families that their policies have created. Oh no.

So if your attacked on the job by your coworker the company is exempt, cool. If your kid does something while under your charge, your exempt, cool. Yet if your dog bites someone your liable. Or is that only here in CA?