Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 10-17-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool Black Hole Created By Man,...

Man Made Black whole has been created!

Looks like science fiction is here. If this works then alot of things will change.

Foot Notes:

* An electromagnetic "black hole" that sucks in surrounding light has been built for the first time.
* The device, which works at microwave frequencies, may soon be extended to trap visible light, leading to an entirely new way of harvesting solar energy to generate electricity.
* The device fits on a table top
* Narimanov is impressed by Cui and Cheng's implementation of his design. "I am surprised that they have done it so quickly," he says.
Fabricating a device that captures optical wavelengths in the same way will not be easy, as visible light has a wavelength orders of magnitude smaller than that of microwave radiation. This will require the etched structures to be correspondingly smaller.
Cui is confident that they can do it. "I expect that our demonstration of the optical black hole will be available by the end of 2009," he says.
* Such a device could be used to harvest solar energy in places where the light is too diffuse for mirrors to concentrate it onto a solar cell. An optical black hole would suck it all in and direct it at a solar cell sitting at the core. "If that works, you will no longer require these huge parabolic mirrors to collect light," says Narimanov.

FULL STORY !

There has been an error - New Scientist

First black hole for light created on Earth

* 17:13 14 October 2009 by Anil Ananthaswamy

An electromagnetic "black holeMovie Camera" that sucks in surrounding light has been built for the first time.

The device, which works at microwave frequencies, may soon be extended to trap visible light, leading to an entirely new way of harvesting solar energy to generate electricity.

A theoretical design for a table-top black hole to trap light was proposed in a paper published earlier this year by Evgenii Narimanov and Alexander Kildishev of Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana. Their idea was to mimic the properties of a cosmological black hole, whose intense gravity bends the surrounding space-time, causing any nearby matter or radiation to follow the warped space-time and spiral inwards.

Narimanov and Kildishev reasoned that it should be possible to build a device that makes light curve inwards towards its centre in a similar way. They calculated that this could be done by a cylindrical structure consisting of a central core surrounded by a shell of concentric rings.
There's no escape

The key to making light curve inwards is to make the shell's permittivity – which affects the electric component of an electromagnetic wave – increase smoothly from the outer to the inner surface. This is analogous to the curvature of space-time near a black hole. At the point where the shell meets the core, the permittivity of the ring must match that of the core, so that light is absorbed rather than reflected.

Now Tie Jun Cui and Qiang Cheng at the Southeast University in Nanjing, China, have turned Narimanov and Kildishev's theory into practice, and built a "black hole" for microwave frequencies. It is made of 60 annular strips of so-called "meta-materials", which have previously been used to make invisibility cloaks.

Each strip takes the form of a circuit board etched with intricate structures whose characteristics change progressively from one strip to the next, so that the permittivity varies smoothly. The outer 40 strips make up the shell and the inner 20 strips make up the absorber.

"When the incident electromagnetic wave hits the device, the wave will be trapped and guided in the shell region towards the core of the black hole, and will then be absorbed by the core," says Cui. "The wave will not come out from the black hole." In their device, the core converts the absorbed light into heat.
Quick work

Narimanov is impressed by Cui and Cheng's implementation of his design. "I am surprised that they have done it so quickly," he says.

Fabricating a device that captures optical wavelengths in the same way will not be easy, as visible light has a wavelength orders of magnitude smaller than that of microwave radiation. This will require the etched structures to be correspondingly smaller.

Cui is confident that they can do it. "I expect that our demonstration of the optical black hole will be available by the end of 2009," he says.

Such a device could be used to harvest solar energy in places where the light is too diffuse for mirrors to concentrate it onto a solar cell. An optical black hole would suck it all in and direct it at a solar cell sitting at the core. "If that works, you will no longer require these huge parabolic mirrors to collect light," says Narimanov.

Journal references: Applied Physics Letters (vol 95, p041106), and "An electromagnetic black hole made of metamaterials" by Tie Jun Cui and Qiang Cheng's (preprint archive)

If you would like to reuse any content from New Scientist, either in print or online, please contact the syndication department first for permission. New Scientist does not own rights to photos, but there are a variety of licensing options available for use of articles and graphics we own the copyright to.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2009, 08:54 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Seems like they are trying to bolt on skill here, which we all know you can't do.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

If somebody could just get KP to step into it...
Old 10-17-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

So, the damn Chinese Communists have invented a black hole huh? Maybe they can throw all those Treasury Bills into it, along with all the cheap crap the've been flooding our markets with for the past 30 years, that shut down our heavy industry.

Since quotas and anti dumping/countervailing duties have been suspended on Chinese made goods, as some token to our Chinese masters it will only get worse. I refuse to buy anything at Harbor Freight, since it's all made in China. Every tool, vice, drill, floor jack, rool-a-way etc. in my garage was made in the USA (of course it's all over 50 years old too).

As my old teacher at motorcycle mechanic school Marty D!ckerson always said, "it's all run by people with a bad case of HUA." Time to pull it out America, get real, see who the enemy is.

And please remember, they are our enemy. We will have to fight them eventually. Old Douglas MacArthur is looking down and wondering what happened to his engine of democracy and truth. It was sold to China there Doug, at bargain basement prices.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Maybe they can throw all those Treasury Bills into it, along with all the cheap crap the've been flooding our markets with for the past 30 years, that shut down our heavy industry.
I wish that were true...but it implies they somehow hoodwinked us into buying their cheap crap by sneaking it in, when in fact, nothing could be further from the truth.

US industrialists, executive managers, major stockholders, financial kingpins, all deliberately and methodically CHOSE to shut down our industrial capacity in exchange for higher short-term profits and better stock prices. Industry after industry, corporation after corporation, got in line, made their deals, and marched right over to China. And we all supported the process by choosing to buy those products a few percentage points cheaper in WalMart etc. Remember when Sam Walton was alive and he made a point of buying products made in the US? He knew something... Recently, after a couple of decades of moving production offshore, GE has started an ad campaign on building products in the US. I really hope it's more than marketing fluff.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"And we all supported the process by choosing to buy those products a few percentage points cheaper in WalMart etc."

When you say 'we all' please don't include me in that assesement.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:49 PM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"And we all supported the process by choosing to buy those products a few percentage points cheaper in WalMart etc."

When you say 'we all' please don't include me in that assesement.
You're the only guy in America who doesn't buy Chinese products? I saw an article on a lady who decided to deliberately avoid buying anything from China. She was able to do it, but it consumed all her free time...it was that difficult.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
You're the only guy in America who doesn't buy Chinese products? I saw an article on a lady who decided to deliberately avoid buying anything from China. She was able to do it, but it consumed all her free time...it was that difficult.
I certainly avoid it when I can, and will certainly pay more for something made here instead of China. Most people I know do the exact opposite, which I why it's 'you all' and not 'we all'. Hell, lots of people want U.S. businesses to fail anyway. It's the 'in' thing to do.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Yeah this stuff with losing industrial capacity to China is pretty horrible. Of course we can rely on the government to fix it all for us if we just realize that capitalist industry is the enemy and we can have peace and prosperity if we give all power to the government to fix everything.

The flood of manufacturing to China couldn't possibly have anything to do with the 10s of millions of dollars of squeeze to the govt bureaucracies needed to build a large manufacturing facility. Nor could it have anything to do with the billions in lawsuits courtesy of the Trial Lawyers who own the Democrat Party (note that there is nothing in the Rats' new healthcare laws to stem the lawsuits and resultant insurance premiums). And naturally the need to pay 80I.Q. idiots $100K a year to sweep floors in these plants doesn't affect the desires of business to move overseas. And all those retired Congressmen and Senators and State Dept officials lobbying for China don't affect it either. Oh no, it's evil business purposefully destroying America and the Dali Obama and the Fed govt are going to save us all. More regulations and laws originated by community organizers are going to fix everything.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:08 PM   #10
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Yeah this stuff with losing industrial capacity to China is pretty horrible. Of course we can rely on the government to fix it all for us if we just realize that capitalist industry is the enemy and we can have peace and prosperity if we give all power to the government to fix everything."

I think you are finally catching on after all these years. There may be some hope for you yet! Notice how Ken made the US mfgs. the bad guys? Aren't they always the bad guys?? LOL