Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle.Com Lounge (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/)
-   -   Tolerance! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/13197-tolerance.html)

longride 09-23-2009 08:40 AM

"The UK is sinking under the weight of it's political correctness."

Just one of the sacrifices they have to make to live in a greater society. Yuck yuck!

12er 09-23-2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pplassm (Post 224666)
They interviewed one of the "undocumented citizens" this morning on NPR. He said "Of course we want to go to Britain. Hospitals are free! House is free! They feed us and give us money!"

The segment went on to list the benefits the UK gov't is giving those who make it across and apply for asylum. As long as they're being processed, they live better than the Marines I saw guarding the Green Zone. Plus they get fee money on top of it.

The UK is sinking under the weight of it's political correctness.

Very true, but at least you can get a college education. The UC system here is turning people away, or they cant get enough of a class load to keep on their parents insurance. So more uninsured taking many more years to get their degree's. But the rest of the UK they can have...

pplassm 09-23-2009 11:25 AM

How much college do we really need?

I have seen too many educated idiots around to think that "Higher Education" is the answer to all problems. I really believe that college serves more as a socialization test for most "disciplines". Getting a degree just means you can "play well with others" for 4 years.

All while technicians and machinists are disappearing.

"The world needs ditch diggers too, you know!"

longride 09-23-2009 11:35 AM

Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration. Anyone can be successful if they work hard enough at whatever they do. All I see with college grads today how much they want to get paid and how many benefits they will get before they even start on day one. Most forgot that it takes hard work to get where you want to go regardless of education level. Money and success always seem to follow the 'lucky' ones that work their asses off every day.

seruzawa 09-23-2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pplassm (Post 224686)
I have seen too many educated idiots around to think that "Higher Education" is the answer to all problems.

Yeah. Getting a everyone a degree in economics, poli sci, advanced Sumerian poetry or some other worthless junk program is really going to solve the worlds problems. Am I the only one who has noticed that the most insane ideas come from tenured professors? Marxism? Fascism? Nihilism? Malthusianism? All the creations of professors.

A tenured professor forces his students to buy the over-priced text book that very professor wrote. The tenured professor then forces those students to listen to an endless screed about the evils of capitalism. This is one of the funniest (and most pathetic) sights available. Communists in the Halls of Academia, all funded by modern corporatism, whining about the evils of corporatism. Each one of those professors would literally starve to death if they had to get real jobs. LOL!

Q: What do you get when you send an idiot to college?
A: A college trained idiot.

seruzawa 09-23-2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizuki (Post 224635)
So a Ponzi scheme is better than a stock market that has peaks and valleys?

The Treasury Dept today announced that Social Security will be in shortfall by 2011. Aren't you glad the govt is taking care of your money? Doesn't it make you want to vote republicrat?

sarnali2 09-23-2009 12:40 PM

Too true, they all want to be suits telling everyone else what to do. Try to get any of them interested in the Trades and they look at you like you're nuts. Fair enough, that white shirt and tie with "Manager" on your name tag should pull in a good $40k a year easy.

The best managers I've had come from the field, they paid their dues and have at least an idea what they're looking at and they get paid accordingly in respect and compensation. The last thing you want is some f*ckhead MBA straight out of Uni with the 20% cut's mantra they get taught..... "there's always 20% excess in the facilities maintenance budget that can be cut"...... Well unfortunately the last bozo cut 20% as did the one before him, now you've cut 60% and can't figure out why your plant is falling apart around your ears and you have a 6 month critical repair backlog.

Guess they don't teach them that part...

12er 09-23-2009 12:53 PM

In the dotcom boom we were so short on geeks recent grads were landing the big bucks. Now they expect it, surprise surprise, them days are long gone. lucky to get a gig at 7/11

Dr_Sprocket 09-23-2009 06:46 PM

Hey! Hey! Hey!

In defense of (some) college graduates, some people go to college to learn a skill. I learned how to help others get better, so they can go back to what they are doing. Most people try it on their own for a while, but don't get better. That's when they come to see me.

For me, it's very gratifying to help people get back to doing. Sometimes it doesn't help -- most of the time it does.

seruzawa 09-23-2009 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 224703)
Hey! Hey! Hey!

In defense of (some) college graduates, some people go to college to learn a skill. I learned how to help others get better, so they can go back to what they are doing. Most people try it on their own for a while, but don't get better. That's when they come to see me.

For me, it's very gratifying to help people get back to doing. Sometimes it doesn't help -- most of the time it does.

Yes yes. We know that. I'm just having fun with the idiots who take psych and other worthless subjects and then whine that they can only find a job at Macdonalds to pay off their 80K student loans. It's difficult to refer to them as the "best and brightest".