Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 09-14-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default Why must I be like that?

Okay, so here goes...

I started riding in 2004. My first bike was a 1985 Honda Nighthawk CB700SC. I had that bike for nearly three years and almost 15,000 miles.

Fast-forward to 2007, when I upgraded to my new 2008 Buell Ulysses. This past weekend I just ticked over 13,000 trouble-free miles on the gal. Now, along come two hot chicas, the Buell 1125CR and the new Ducati Streetfighter, that have gotten my attention. The Ducati is sex on wheels, or... as the song goes, "Sex on Fire." The Buell is a rider's bike, recently winning a competing magazine's Streetfighter Shootout.

Now, I have no need for a bike that will go 160 mph. And I love my faithful Buellysses. So, why do I lust for a new bike? Is this my fate - always wanting something more... something different? I'd love to hear from you old, crusty MOFO's about your bike lusting experiences. Is what you lust for in your heart really what you wanted when you got it? Or is it just the thrill of the chase?

In the words of the immortal George Clinton: "Why must I be like that? Why must I chase the cat? Nothin' but the dog in me."

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2009, 09:55 PM   #2
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

For me it's not just the thrill of the chase. What's really cool is that it's always a thrill to get on a motorcycle. It's an obsession/addiction of sorts, which is perfectly fine, because it doesn't have bad after effects, like too much drinking or gambling

I love motorcycles, so I'm always looking for that next bike. However, I'm also smart enough to know that I have two great bikes right now and there's no good reason to get another.

Having said that, I can't wait to get the specs and reviews on the new VFR 1200.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:25 AM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I've had about 30 different bikes in the last 8 years alone. They are all fun in their own way. Get it.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:53 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Is this my fate - always wanting something more... something different? I'd love to hear from you old, crusty MOFO's about your bike lusting experiences. Is what you lust for in your heart really what you wanted when you got it? Or is it just the thrill of the chase?
Yes.

Motorcycles are about the coolest thing on Earth next to high performance fighter aircraft. I wanted one from the moment my Uncle gave me a ride on his Mustang when I was 5 years old. The correct number of motorcycles to own is 'one more'.

Only a couple of times was I sorry I got a particular bike, but so what? You sell it and get another. Big deal. It's not that important. When I was in Nam I decided to do what I wanted when I got out and let no one's criticism mean jack to me. Who cares what a buncha crying babies think? I ain't hurtin' anyone and it's not any of their business. So I ride and buy bikes and it makes me happy.

When you look back on your life you'll always regret the times you were timid. Go for it. Who gives a shyt about the pressures of "reasonable society"? All that's given us is major wars, income tax, Bush and Obama. When I tell people I have 5 bikes in my garage 99% of them think I'm nuts. And I like it that way. Non-riders are like trained caged monkeys and they sound like trustees in a prison arguing over who gets the best favors from the guards. I don't want their approval for anything I do. Riding bikes is one way of telling them to FO. And when I hear people make that tired old joke "murdercycles" I just tell them to their faces that it's better to ride a murdercycle than to be a sniveling coward. Better to be alive and take some risks than to be half dead already.

"They'll talk to ya and talk to ya and talk to ya about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em. "

Last edited by seruzawa : 09-15-2009 at 06:15 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:14 AM   #5
V2Rider
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I've had about 30 different bikes in the last 8 years alone. They are all fun in their own way. Get it.
You sound like my father. Before he passed he had 32 bikes in the previous 26 years. We used to joke about him keeping the state of Rhode Island afloat with the sales tax he paid alone.

Me, on the other hand, have only had seven bikes since I bought my first street bike in 77 and still have four of them. I do get the bug when the new bikes come out though.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:25 AM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I go through Newbikitis about every six months. I'll see something like the Concours 14 or the VMax and start calculating payments and insurance. Then I call my sponsor at BA and we talk through it.

Get the Ducati. Everybody should own at least 1 Ducati in their lifetime. Not knockig Buell, but it's just not the same.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:28 AM   #7
pplassm
Founding Member

There are never enough bikes in the garage. And never enough space, either.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:26 AM   #8
acecycleins
Founding Member

In 27yrs I've owned 12 bikes that were regular use and 8 or 9 that were bought and sold for profit. You can never settle. If you want it, get it. Don't worry about trying to justify it. You're a rider. You're allowed to switch bikes as often as your boxers if you prefer. First thing to do is call your insurance agent. Those two new bikes should have a pretty decent price difference from the Uly. Use that info to figure out your best option.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:44 AM   #9
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I say you do it. I'm a well-documented impulse buyer when it comes to lustful (and pricey) motorcycles. Sometimes I think I'm nuts too.

However, a few days ago I was out on the new K in the country and right when I hit triple digits on Hwy 94 a Third Eye Blind song was playing in my headphones and the lyrics said, "I've never felt so alive."

I doubt it would have had the same meaning had I been chatting on Facebook with friends.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:02 AM   #10
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

For me, 4 seems to be the magic number of bikes to have in my garage. 5 is a bit much, but it seems 4 does it for me. I can have all the different types of bikes and not miss anything. I want to ride them all before I take my dirt nap. We need to get Dr. Pulley to live a little. Loyalty to a certain motorcycle is stupid. They are all fun, and all good. Hell, I might even ride a Vision one day. Well OK, I wouldn't go THAT far.