Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle.Com Lounge (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/)
-   -   Inglourious Basterds review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/13004-inglourious-basterds-review.html)

schizuki 08-30-2009 08:04 AM

Inglourious Basterds review

Checked this one out yesterday. I misread the theater key on the net and was surprised when the lights went down and I saw the theater wasn't digital. Normally I'd be pi**ed off, but this is the kind of movie that looks better a little grainy and scratchy.

It's full-on Tarantino - the breaking into chapters, the "Tarantino font" on the credits, the pop-culture references (in this case, '30s and '40s cinema), the foot-fetish shot, the violence, the Mexican standoff, the distinct dialogue... it's all there. It's closer to "Death Proof" than "Pulp Fiction" in that it's more cheekily exuberant than dramatic.

The title is misleading, in that the Basterds have precious little screen time - maybe twenty minutes total? In another Tarantino trademark, you've got several sets of characters whose stories eventually intersect. The Basterds are just one of those groups.

There's a lot more talk than action, mostly in the numerous scenes of tension that Tarantino stretches to the breaking point. The dialogue isn't Pulp Fiction great, but it's a big improvement over the insufferable bimbos in Death Proof.

It's gleefully ahistorical with several jarring but funny anachronisms. Tarantino has been vilified in some reviews for making a "joke" of the war, Nazis and the Holocaust, but his intent is clear and he's completely honest and upfront about it. The last third of the film takes place in a theater. Characters include actresses, theater owners, cinephiles and movie propagandists all referencing actors and directors of the time - in other words, Tarantino is clearly saying, "Relax, this is a f***ing movie." The climax (no spoiler here) has a theater full of Nazis watching a movie about a Nazi killing a town full of Americans while Americans in the theater plot to kill the theater full of Nazis. It's a f***ing movie, inhabiting its own world of imagination where WWII is just a genre.

My only complaint (aside from the lack of Basterdy) is the appearance of Mike Myers as a British colonel. When Myers is doing a Brit accent, you're in a sh**y Mike Myers comedy.

Overall, I'd say three out of four stars. Solid effort.

mscuddy 08-30-2009 10:38 AM

My wife and I saw it last weekend, and we thought it was an entertaining movie, especially the guy who played the "Jew Hunter", that's going to be an academy award role. Pitt was great as the laconic matter-of-fact scalping 1/2 Apache southern boy with an attitude.

The only thing about any "WAR" movie that paints the Nazis as a bunch of idiots (Germans in general too) kind of rubs me raw in certain aspects, since I'm about 1/2 kraut (Mom's maiden name is Schneider). You look at pre-war Germany, it was the center of science, medicine, design and manufacturing accumen. The German people screwed up when they backed Hitler, who promised everything to the labor-class and as a result unleashed the hammer of Thor for five years in the bloodiest world war ever seen. I'm no Nazi lover, and am glad we kicked their asses right back across the Rien.

We give it five stars. Brad Pitt's acting reminded my wife of Clark Gable, and I thought the continuity (especially the correct R71 BMW flathead motorcycles) was spot-on, even had the correct K98 Mauser with the turned down bolt handle, and the steel butplate. The GI's wore the correct brown army boots, with the soles nailed on. Attention to detail makes the move for me.

sarnali2 08-30-2009 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 222911)

We give it five stars. Brad Pitt's acting reminded my wife of Clark Gable, and I thought the continuity (especially the correct R71 BMW flathead motorcycles) was spot-on, even had the correct K98 Mauser with the turned down bolt handle, and the steel butplate. The GI's wore the correct brown army boots, with the soles nailed on. Attention to detail makes the move for me.

Ditto, I can forgive a lot of sins in a flic but inaccuracy ain't one of them. I'll probably watch it on On Demand, less impact but I don't care to go alone and no one else wants to see it.

pplassm 08-31-2009 08:00 AM

Thanks for the reviews, gents!

SmokeU 08-31-2009 08:54 AM

Oh yeah?!?! Well I saw Shrek the Third for the three thousandth time last night. My nearly 2 year old daughter loves Shrek.

pushrod 08-31-2009 09:35 AM

Here's two:

'Shorts' is awful! My wife got up and almost walked out at one point. My 7-year old (attendance at the movie was a Birthday thing) was not impressed by 90% of the flick.

G-Force is rather clever, and is nowhere as bad as you would suspect. The kids loved it, and the LOML and I chuckled several times. The ****roaches kinda got to her, though.

The $2.50 for the friggin' 3-D glasses is getting really old, though. Especially if you've already 'bought' several pairs, that you are not allowed to re-use.

newagetwotone 09-01-2009 12:00 PM

We have a theater about 5 minutes from where we live that is $1.00 to get in... everything is like 3-4 months old but hell if i care... i want to go see Inglorious bastards when it gets there. I enjoy tarintino and brad pitt, figured cant lose more than a $ if i dont like it.

Kenneth_Moore 09-01-2009 12:27 PM

I think that grainy look to the film is deliberate on QT's part. It's part of his "Stchyle." He's done it before; that car movie he did a while back was made to look like a 70's drive in flick down to the hairs getting caught in the projector lens. Bad cuts like somebody had spliced the film poorly, 30 seconds of black and white film then back to color, etc.

Waiting for DVD on this one...