Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 08-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Go see District 9

Terrific flick. The first hour or so was more admirable than good. Then its intelligence was joined by emotion and excitement, and it was popcorn-munching time.

Yeah, it's a political allegory, but it wasn't at all heavy-handed. And it was an equal-opportunity offender. Sure, the "bad guys" were a corporation (a weapons-making one, natch), but the protagonist was like every dull-witted NGO functionary you've ever read about totally f***ing some world situation up.

*Aside - I once saw a documentary on homosexuality in Hollywood films which explained how it was "coded" so gays would "get it" and straights wouldn't. The writer or director of District 9, I suspect, is a closet libertarian or conservative. I got the same vibe I got from The Dark Knight (which was a pro-Bush, pro-War on Terror, anti-appeasement allegory.) The evil defense corporation's flunkies looked like UN bureaucrats and peacekeepers.

As I said, the protagonist is far from a hero, but the Afrikaner actor who played him was amazing. And the director succeeds in drawing from the viewer a range of emotions towards him, from derision to hatred to admiration to contempt to pity. It was a brave choice for a lead role - the man simply wasn't likable, but you end up feeling for him somehow.

It was an intelligent mash-up of The Fly, Alien Nation, E.T., Iron Man, and The Office. Highly recommended.

(Oh, and you know how 50's sci-fi soundtracks always had a theremin? We're smack in the middle of a long stretch of Haunting Non-English Vocals Over Plaintive Strings. Eh, it works.)

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.

Last edited by schizuki : 08-21-2009 at 07:38 PM.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

That's top of the list alright, looking forward to that one

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
12er
Founding Member

Were going to the Drive in Tonight to check it out. Double feature with the hangover for $6.75 a head. Ah the good Ole days are still alive in my hood.

No sooner did I hit submit and presto, the aroma of popcorn filled my office. Great timing coworkers.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
Were going to the Drive in Tonight to check it out.
Let me know what you think!

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

Wifey and I are going to see Basterds tonight and District 9 Sunday mid-day. We have no 11yos wearing us out this weekend. Grandma duty is a wonderful thing. How a woman can walk around in a foot cast all summer and still be upbeat and want to watch grandkids is beyond me. Guess I owe her a night out at Bones Steakhouse. Thanks Mom.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Wifey and I are going to see Basterds tonight and District 9 Sunday mid-day. We have no 11yos wearing us out this weekend. Grandma duty is a wonderful thing. How a woman can walk around in a foot cast all summer and still be upbeat and want to watch grandkids is beyond me. Guess I owe her a night out at Bones Steakhouse. Thanks Mom.
They act entirely differently when they are alone at Grandma's house. You didn't know that?
Old 08-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #7
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
They act entirely differently when they are alone at Grandma's house. You didn't know that?
More than you know. Kids are such shyts.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Good movie. Made in South Africa and not by Hollywood it has more originality than we've seen in a sci-fi production in a long time. Definitely worth seeing on the big screen. 5 stars.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:03 PM   #9
schizuki
Founding Member

My wife just pointed this out to me (because sometimes the hamster in my head falls off the wheel) - the evil corporation was called Multi-National United (MNU). So yeah, it was the United Nations in evilcorp drag.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #10
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Just saw X-Games 3D last night. ESPN does a great job of TV coverage, but the 3D version was AWESOME. Pretty neat interviews with Travis Pastrana and the GOAT, Ricky Carmichael, too.