Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 07-30-2009, 07:15 AM   #1
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default Where's Moto Morini

I stumbled across a pic of a Moto Morini Scrambler today. Very cool looking bike. Then started thinking: Why don't we have dealers here?

If they sell Moto Guzzi volume they could certainly sell bikes in the US. Your average Ducati dealer sells around 300 bikes annually. The Euro standards are as tough as ours EPA rules. The only thing they have to do is change the lighting and put in MPH speedo's. I'd imagine that the average cost of a Morini Scrambler is right in line with a Monster 1100. That Adventure Tour bike they build has got to be the same price at a R1200GS. Just got me wondering why such a cool brand isn't trying to do business in America. Economy aside, the cost of importing couldn't be much different than shipping bikes to South America or Japan.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-30-2009, 07:41 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

They probably don't want to spend the millions required to meet all the regulations.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:47 AM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Guzzi has somewhat of a following here but go out on the street and say Moto Morini and see if one person knows what the hell you're talking about.

Maybe converting the bikes to US regs would be the cheapest part. Brand identity could cost a small fortune.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:11 AM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

It's a rather old brand. Identity shouldn't be an issue. It'd be like what Bloor did with Triumph in 1995. Benelli has a dealer network here and they are a tiny little brand. Morini is very similar to Ducati, actually. Build three or four variations of the same frame and stuff engines in them. The US marketplace is the largest market in the world. Seems like marketing to this market with bikes like that would surely hurt Buell, Benelli and even steal some Ducati deals. Hell, they even come with 3yr factory warranties.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:16 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Morini used to sell in the US. "Cycle" did a test of the 350 twin back in the 80s. Apparently the Morini marketing approach was even worse than Aprilia and Moto Guzzi because they gave up.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:19 AM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
It's a rather old brand. Identity shouldn't be an issue. It'd be like what Bloor did with Triumph in 1995. Benelli has a dealer network here and they are a tiny little brand. Morini is very similar to Ducati, actually. Build three or four variations of the same frame and stuff engines in them. The US marketplace is the largest market in the world. Seems like marketing to this market with bikes like that would surely hurt Buell, Benelli and even steal some Ducati deals. Hell, they even come with 3yr factory warranties.
It's an old brand in Italy. Triumph was already well-known here.

Benelli has lots of Chinese money now.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:34 AM   #7
acecycleins
Founding Member

Re-introduction of an Italian brand from a marketing standpoint would be a blast if I worked for a company like that. Imagine all the cool old school video you could use while over-laying images of the new bikes. Benelli may have the Chinese cash, but they are still the same small Italian company they have always been. It's not about Ducati volume. It's about percentages. If they could meet the same profit percentage that Ducati does things could work. If they geared up now for a market re-introduction they could have bikes on the street in the US by 2011. Like I said- speedo and lights, maybe exhaust. Small changes for the worlds richest market.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:42 AM   #8
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Re-introduction of an Italian brand from a marketing standpoint would be a blast if I worked for a company like that. Imagine all the cool old school video you could use while over-laying images of the new bikes. Benelli may have the Chinese cash, but they are still the same small Italian company they have always been. It's not about Ducati volume. It's about percentages. If they could meet the same profit percentage that Ducati does things could work. If they geared up now for a market re-introduction they could have bikes on the street in the US by 2011. Like I said- speedo and lights, maybe exhaust. Small changes for the worlds richest market.
But dude, you can get a new Gixxer for like half the price.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:50 AM   #9
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I was going to say: "the Southern tip of Italy" but I guess that isn't right.

How about: "by Waldo, near the lifeguard tower!"