Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 07-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default SCI Group Therapy 7-9-09....

Well just for ****s and giggles I took up an invatation to go back the the Spinal Cord Rehab hospital today, to join in the SCI group therapy session held every Thursday from 3 to 5 pm. This is the hospital Kaiser contracts to rehab their spinal cord injury patients.

There were three more kids there in various states of paralysis, all from motorcycle accidents. After the prefunctory introduction and typical BS topics like "how do you handle anxiety?" or "Walking is highly over rated" it came down to letting the new cases tell of thier date with fate, so to speak.

The first "kid", a young man in his late 20's who recanted the story of being kind of buzzed, and hitting a curb on his R1, which broke his back and severed his spinal cord at the T-7 level. His spine was fused from the t-4 to t-11 vertebre, and for someone so messed up, he had a good attitude about the whole thing. When I asked him how long he'd been riding, he replied the R1 was his first motorcycle, and it "kicked ass."

The second guy was in his middle thirties, and much like the kid on the R1, he spaced out riding back from work on GSXR750, and t-boned a parked car. His paralysis started from the t-4. Complete injury. He finished his story in tears.

But the third youngster was the most tragic case. Egged on by his peers to purchase an XB12 Buell as his first motorcycle, he lasted about four months on the streets of Los Angeles, before crashing on the freeway. Not only did the accident break his back, but his right arm, crushed his right elbow, right shoulder, pelvis and both collar bones.

I asked him how long he'd been riding: "Oh for about four months."

So there you have it, seems not a whole bunch of common sense out there when purchasing a first street bike.

Sad, when there should be rules on licensing new riders, there are none, and as a result these new riders didn't have a chance in hell.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2009, 05:26 AM   #2
mugwump58
Registered Member

Oh boy. This oughta degenerate into the whole free will vs greater good thing.

Would tiered licensing have prevented this? Perhaps. At least though it would bring a whole bunch of what I consider cool bikes into the market here.

I wonder how the economics of motorcycle accidents will play in health care reform. Remember it's not just health care, it's a business.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:41 AM   #3
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

So, Matt, are you in favor of tiered licensing? IMHO, tiered licensing is inevitable, especially with the current administration (even thought they are quite busy handling bigger, more important issues).
Old 07-10-2009, 05:41 AM   #4
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I pretty much agree with the tiered licensing thing. Forget the mandatory helmet crap. Lots more lives saved by knowing how to ride rather than counting on a piece of plastic for 'safety'. Motorcycling is dangerous, and getting worse all the time. Add in a 150+ horsepower bike, and well, Cuddy has spoken with the results.

Last edited by longride : 07-10-2009 at 07:36 AM.
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:43 AM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"(even thought they are quite busy handling bigger, more important issues)."

Yeah, like stopping the fake Global Warming, spending us to bankruptcy, and taking away as many guns as they can.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:53 AM   #6
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"(even thought they are quite busy handling bigger, more important issues)."

Yeah, like stopping the fake Global Warming, spending us to bankruptcy, and taking away as many guns as they can.
Exactly! Gotta get my Kimber order in soon!
Old 07-10-2009, 06:32 AM   #7
pplassm
Founding Member

Just traded a junk bike for a sweet AK.

<sigh> It's my first AW!

Old 07-10-2009, 07:27 AM   #8
SmokeU
Registered Member

I'm glad I started out on a semi basket case Yamaha 175 Enduro and moved to a severe basket case '79 XS 650S about a year later. I spent more time wrenching on that thing than I ever want to do again.

Yes, I am a fan of tiered licensing.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:06 AM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

They had that here in Washington in the 80's or 90's. One license for up to 500cc and one for 500 and above. I also think it's an excellent idea with the addition of a different colored license plate or an L tag or something. I remember the first RC51 I saw, I had my VFR at the time was pretty pumped about it and was asking this guy a lot of questions, he finally said he really didn't know how it compared because it was his first bike and he just bought it. I couldn't believe it, a jewel like that as a first bike....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:03 AM   #10
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

My first street legal bike was 90cc and had about 12 hp. Even with that low hp it only weighed about 150 lbs. and as a result topped out at around sixty. But by that time I had been riding for five years, and knew how to handle it. To put a new rider on an R1 or XB12 is criminal in my opinion.

When I leared how to fly, I flew a Cessna 150 (flying barn door). I can imagine what would have happened if I tried to start in a Gee Bee, or P51.