Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 06-26-2009, 10:34 AM   #21
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"One little motard from a manufacturer that has no dealerships in my area doesn't quite cut it George. Before long there will be a viable electric alternative to my VStrom, and I will be looking at it. There ain't no electric cars to buy either, but when there are, I'll be looking at them too."

Yawn. More meaningless blather. Too bad your actions don't blend with your words. Global warming is killing us all, the seas are rising and glaciers melting, yet you do nothing but wait until everything is JUST PERFECT. There are electirc cars to buy Ken, but they just don't meet your lofty standards ,I'm sure, just as the electirc motorcycle does not. Meanwhile keep polluting and paying those evil bastards at Exxon......until you have to pay those evil bastards at Commonweath Edison. So far, it sounds like the one that is afraid of electric vehicles is YOU.

"The "Nixon story" is fact. Look it up."

Shoot me a link. If it is anything like the rest of your ''history" lessons, I won't waste my time looking for it.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #22
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Nixon also enacted wage and price controls. He was hardly a conservative. Funny how the libs despised him.
What's funnier is how the libs are fine with Zero keeping 99% of Bush's policies in place. Heh heh.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:17 AM   #23
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Here's the link on the origins of the EPA:
The Birth of EPA | EPA History | US EPA

Here's one of many links on the "Burning River." Cleveland marks progress of river that caught fire - BostonHerald.com

If you want to live in the past George, I understand that. Big gas guzzling SUVs have a certain appeal. But some of us like new things, be they new technologies, new modes of transportation, or new ways to annoy you.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:50 PM   #24
12er
Founding Member

Being most of my driving is 4 miles to the bart station a 2 seater insight would be great for my wife and I to putt around in or a full up electric. Throw a solar panel on the roof and the thing charges all day in the parking lot.

Hybreds are bs if you look into all that goes into manufacturing. My bro in law has a Prius and I cant stand that thing. My buddy has a TDI bug and it gets better mileage, sounds and drives like a car should. And if you needed to you could port it to veggie oil (here in ca may even get away with a one tank system. Two tank for LR as veggie oil and cold dont mix)

Moving forward there is not going to be a one size fits all solution. But with more hybrids and electrics will spur better battery technology. No investment means just that... If I lived in SF again I can see where an electric bike like the zero would be great. It would be great for my BART commute, I just dont like leaving my bike parked in a lot for 10+ hours a day 25 miles away from me.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:32 PM   #25
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
Being most of my driving is 4 miles to the bart station a 2 seater insight would be great for my wife and I to putt around in or a full up electric. Throw a solar panel on the roof and the thing charges all day in the parking lot.

Hybreds are bs if you look into all that goes into manufacturing. My bro in law has a Prius and I cant stand that thing. My buddy has a TDI bug and it gets better mileage, sounds and drives like a car should. And if you needed to you could port it to veggie oil (here in ca may even get away with a one tank system. Two tank for LR as veggie oil and cold dont mix)

Moving forward there is not going to be a one size fits all solution. But with more hybrids and electrics will spur better battery technology. No investment means just that... If I lived in SF again I can see where an electric bike like the zero would be great. It would be great for my BART commute, I just dont like leaving my bike parked in a lot for 10+ hours a day 25 miles away from me.
No doubt. Those technologies will arise when some company feels they can make a profit doing it. Throwing taxpayer money at these things gets us ethanol.

A lot of people SAY they would buy a Harley with a "proper" motor. Few of them do.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:34 PM   #26
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
No doubt. Those technologies will arise when some company feels they can make a profit doing it. Throwing taxpayer money at these things gets us ethanol.

A lot of people SAY they would buy a Harley with a "proper" motor. Few of them do.
Tesla just got half a billion from the gov. Rather see that than what they did propping up GM and Chrysler for nothing.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:53 PM   #27
pdad13
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"I was just reading an article about Steven Chu, our current Secretary of Energy. Surprisingly, he seems to be very realistic about some things."

I hope you don't mean this guy!

Obama’s Energy Sec: Hey! Let’s Paint The World White « Bob’s Bites
Yep, that guy.

Remember that I said he seemed to be realistic about SOME things. I’m sure he’d give me plenty to disagree with.

However, I don’t find the whitewashing idea particularly wacky. It may be totally theoretical and probably impractical, but it’s not totally off the wall, especially for an MIT guy. To take him to task for this alone seems like cherrypicking to me.

The fact is that he’s pushing biofuels because they’re more realistic than other overblown green-power panaceas. That’s at least one point in his favor.

Ken, I’m not afraid of electric vehicles; I’m just not wild about them because they’ve been oversold to the point of nausea. They’re still impractical. All the theoretical, exaggerated claims of manufacturers and advocates aren’t going to make them suitable replacements for internal combustion vehicles. What I’m scared of is high taxes for owning an IC vehicle and drastically reduced choices that we may see in the near future if all this electro-propaganda keeps boiling over.

Speaking of which, why do you suppose that electric-vehicle manufacturers and advocates can make wild range and performance claims with near impunity? Is it just because electric power is fashionable? Or is it because it just makes everyone feel better? Maybe it’s both.

Imagine if Ford claimed that a new gasoline-powered car got 80mpg but, in reality, it only got 45. They’d be roasted and branded as evil, lying corporate sc*umbags.

The whiz-kid with the computer-engineering degree and Earth Now T-shirt standing next to a wheeled blender can get away with saying anything, apparently.

Incidently, I saw Who Killed the Electric Car. Frankly, I thought it was crap. The filmmakers seemed to want to blame GM and the oil industry, but when they couldn’t make that stick, they just copped-out and blamed everyone. How insightful.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:03 PM   #28
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Who killed the electric car is right up there with the Big Oil killed the 100 MPG carburetor.

How many people repeated that one over and over. It's even funnier now that carbs don't even exist (except at Cuddy's house).
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:11 PM   #29
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdad13 View Post
Ken, I’m not afraid of electric vehicles; I’m just not wild about them because they’ve been oversold to the point of nausea. They’re still impractical. All the theoretical, exaggerated claims of manufacturers and advocates aren’t going to make them suitable replacements for internal combustion vehicles. What I’m scared of is high taxes for owning an IC vehicle and drastically reduced choices that we may see in the near future if all this electro-propaganda keeps boiling over.

Speaking of which, why do you suppose that electric-vehicle manufacturers and advocates can make wild range and performance claims with near impunity? Is it just because electric power is fashionable? Or is it because it just makes everyone feel better? Maybe it’s both.

Imagine if Ford claimed that a new gasoline-powered car got 80mpg but, in reality, it only got 45. They’d be roasted and branded as evil, lying corporate sc*umbags.

Agreed. electric cars aren't ready for "prime time" yet, unless you can afford a $100k Tesla. Which I would love to have. However, I think we're very close to having real-world electric cars; and the economics of oil are going to make them attractive. Gas is already back to $3.50 here, and it's rising steadily.

I can't comment on the claims of the electric car manufacturers because I don't have any experience with one yet. Gas mileage numbers have always been BS; I've never gotten what the sticker on the window says I should. But people will buy them, and post about them, and we'll be able to pick one we like if we want to. And I'm sure that anyone who wants to drive a Hummer will be able to, again, if they want to.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:15 PM   #30
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Who killed the electric car is right up there with the Big Oil killed the 100 MPG carburetor.

How many people repeated that one over and over. It's even funnier now that carbs don't even exist (except at Cuddy's house).
If you leaned an IC engine enough to get 100mpg you would need new pistons about every time you filled up.