Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 06-26-2009, 07:57 AM   #11
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Mini-Cooper is testing one in CA and NJ now that I'd be proud to own."

I'll be looking forward to your first electric car purchase. My bet is it won't happen in my lifetime! How about an electric motorcycle? They make those too, but I never hear you wanting to buy one. Motorcycles are terrible with pollution and are worse for mythical 'climate change' than any car. I'll bet you never own an electric motorcycle in my lifetime either!

" Maybe we should change it instead of sucking up whatever Exxon/Mobil shoves down our throats."

Yeah, then we can take whatever Algore and Obamalama shove up our ass. Why not let the free market decide and have the government quit trying to decide what is right? Or is that too scary for you?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2009, 08:10 AM   #12
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I was watching an episode on Top gear where they took a Prius to task. Turns out the manufacture of a Prius with componants from all over the world cause way much more collateral damage than it saved and overall was less efficient to drive then the ubiquitious Bimmer 3 series, total enviro whitewash of the facts to try to jam them down our throats.

The answer is Nuke power generation and TDI diesel versions of just about every vehicle on the road, you'll almost double the efficiency of any vehicle from a Tahoe to Yaris. The infrastructure and distribution network is already in place. Just reverse the ratio of one diesel nozzle and three gas nozzels at every pump and there you go. Economies of scale will bring the price down and If you still want a gas engine then you may have to pay more but it's still available.

Electric vehicles are fine for applications in industry such as forklifts and plant vehicles, even city vehicle which drive a relitively small number of miles on a daily basis but in the general population they're a pipedream, nothing else.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:23 AM   #13
seruzawa
The Toad

<I>Why do you and others feel so threatened by electric vehicles? </I>

It's not electric vehicles. It's our increasingly totalitarian govt that love to mandate whatever strikes their fancy.

<i>When has anybody said anything about forcing you to buy one? </i>

Ha! You're serious? They are talking about forcing everyone to buy health insurance. They now doing "mandatory volunteerism" in schools (=slavery). Calif mandated that 10% of all vehicles were to be electric by 2006 or some such nonsense but had to drop it because the cars are huge blackholes that can only be produced with huge govt subsidies. Our govt is entirely engaged in force.

<i>The last ones they made there were people begging for them. They fought to keep them when GM took them back.</I>

Yeah, well there are 300 million people in the USA. Of course there are always going to be a few nuts. GM had to recall those cars because they had an unfortunate habit of catching on fire. They also could't afford the losses. I'm sure though that we can fix everything if the govt just orders it to happen.

As I've said many time nuclear power is a necessity. But it will never happen. No matter all the rhetoric the govt makes too much $ off of oil. Cap and Trade is just another scam to ruin personal wealth and make everyone a ward of the all powerful State. I will never join you in supporting pols who intend to make us all wards of the state.

Last edited by seruzawa : 06-26-2009 at 10:24 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:25 AM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Why do you and others feel so threatened by electric vehicles? When has anybody said anything about forcing you to buy one? The last ones they made there were people begging for them. They fought to keep them when GM took them back. I'd love an electric car if it met the basic requirements, which they will very soon. Mini-Cooper is testing one in CA and NJ now that I'd be proud to own.

Turning energy into a political debate is a great way to keep the oil companies rich and us poor. Low cost energy and affordable transportation mean freedom. The energy economy we have now is neither, it SUCKS. Maybe we should change it instead of sucking up whatever Exxon/Mobil shoves down our throats.
Ay Ken, I'm not threatened by electric vehicles. I think people should have choices. I'm afraid of gov't mandates. Can you say "ethanol?"

By the way, you're totally wrong on the GM deal. GM didn't take those back because they're evil polluters. They took them back because there was no way to provide future service and parts to the vehicles.

Um, GM leased 750 EV-1s. I don't know what your definition of begging is, but that's not mine!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:51 AM   #15
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Speaking of mandates

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
<I>Why do you and others feel so threatened by electric vehicles? </I>

It's not electric vehicles. It's our increasingly totalitarian govt that love to mandate whatever strikes their fancy.

<i>When has anybody said anything about forcing you to buy one? </i>

Ha! You're serious? They are talking about forcing everyone to buy health insurance. They now doing "mandatory volunteerism" in schools (=slavery). Calif mandated that 10% of all vehicles were to be electric by 2006 or some such nonsense but had to drop it because the cars are huge blackholes that can only be produced with huge govt subsidies. Our govt is entirely engaged in force.

<i>The last ones they made there were people begging for them. They fought to keep them when GM took them back.</I>

Yeah, well there are 300 million people in the USA. Of course there are always going to be a few nuts. GM had to recall those cars because they had an unfortunate habit of catching on fire. They also could't afford the losses. I'm sure though that we can fix everything if the govt just orders it to happen are evil.

As I've said many time nuclear power is a necessity. But it will never happen. No matter all the rhetoric the govt makes too much $ off of oil. Cap and Trade is just another scam to ruin personal wealth and make everyone a ward of the all powerful State. I will never join you in supporting pols who intend to make us all wards of the state.
CA just mandated that all vehicles have expensive, solar reflecting glass. The interiors of our cars will stay cooler and we won't run our A/C as much and it will fix Global Warming.

I can tell you my Benz has this glass and I still run the A/C when it's hot. Also, there is no noticeable difference in MPG, A/C or not.

I guess this makes me afraid of electric cars.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:36 AM   #16
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"Mini-Cooper is testing one in CA and NJ now that I'd be proud to own."

I'll be looking forward to your first electric car purchase. My bet is it won't happen in my lifetime! How about an electric motorcycle? They make those too, but I never hear you wanting to buy one. Motorcycles are terrible with pollution and are worse for mythical 'climate change' than any car. I'll bet you never own an electric motorcycle in my lifetime either!

" Maybe we should change it instead of sucking up whatever Exxon/Mobil shoves down our throats."

Yeah, then we can take whatever Algore and Obamalama shove up our ass. Why not let the free market decide and have the government quit trying to decide what is right? Or is that too scary for you?

As soon as electric motorcycles are available for me to buy, I'll be looking at them. There aren't any here yet. As for the electric car, I applied for the electric Mini-Cooper before I knew it was CA and NJ only. BMW will be selling them, not the US government. The only thing that scares me is the visual of Algore and Obama shoving things up your ass.

It's interesting that the EPA was started by a paragon of Conservative Republicans (Nixon). I guess when the rivers were catching fire (the Cuyahoga, right up your way) they figured maybe completely unregulated free enterprise wasn't always the best choice. By the way, I hear the Cuyahoga is crystal clear now, and that the fish and wildlife are returning.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #17
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"As for the electric car, I applied for the electric Mini-Cooper before I knew it was CA and NJ only."

Yawn. More shoulda, coulda, woulda, from someone very long on talk and short on action.

"As soon as electric motorcycles are available for me to buy, I'll be looking at them."

I'll help you out here.

ZERO MOTORCYCLES – The Electric Motorcycle Company - Official Site

I'll expect you to be selling your bike and getting one of these within the month. If not, you are just full of hot air and B.S., much like the Nixon story and 'climate change'. Do it and quit talking about it. Until then your words are less than meaningless.

Last edited by longride : 06-26-2009 at 11:00 AM.
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:19 AM   #18
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
As soon as electric motorcycles are available for me to buy, I'll be looking at them. There aren't any here yet. As for the electric car, I applied for the electric Mini-Cooper before I knew it was CA and NJ only. BMW will be selling them, not the US government. The only thing that scares me is the visual of Algore and Obama shoving things up your ass.

It's interesting that the EPA was started by a paragon of Conservative Republicans (Nixon). I guess when the rivers were catching fire (the Cuyahoga, right up your way) they figured maybe completely unregulated free enterprise wasn't always the best choice. By the way, I hear the Cuyahoga is crystal clear now, and that the fish and wildlife are returning.
I just had a hybrid as a rental car recently and my impression was that it is really friggin' heavy for a small vehicle. If you think the electric mini is going to perform, I can tell you, with that giant battery pack in there, responses are sluggish at best.

Electric only will have all the nimbleness of a bowling ball.

You're free to do what you want with your own money. That's the beauty of Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:24 AM   #19
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"As for the electric car, I applied for the electric Mini-Cooper before I knew it was CA and NJ only."

Yawn. More shoulda, coulda, woulda, from someone very long on talk and short on action.

"As soon as electric motorcycles are available for me to buy, I'll be looking at them."

I'll help you out here.

ZERO MOTORCYCLES – The Electric Motorcycle Company - Official Site

I'll expect you to be selling your bike and getting one of these within the month. If not, you are just full of hot air and B.S., much like the Nixon story and 'climate change'. Do it and quit talking about it. Until then your words are less than meaningless.

One little motard from a manufacturer that has no dealerships in my area doesn't quite cut it George. Before long there will be a viable electric alternative to my VStrom, and I will be looking at it. There ain't no electric cars to buy either, but when there are, I'll be looking at them too.

The "Nixon story" is fact. Look it up.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:29 AM   #20
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
One little motard from a manufacturer that has no dealerships in my area doesn't quite cut it George. Before long there will be a viable electric alternative to my VStrom, and I will be looking at it. There ain't no electric cars to buy either, but when there are, I'll be looking at them too.

The "Nixon story" is fact. Look it up.
Nixon also enacted wage and price controls. He was hardly a conservative. Funny how the libs despised him.