Registered Member

What happened to being "capitalist?"
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #13
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
So you are saying that someone that has no experience running anything can't do any worse? I disagree. They could to LOTS worse, and they are going to do worse with MY MONEY. GM didn't do anyhing different than every other US manufacturer that I can think of including the US TV industry, camera industry, copier industry, calculator industry, watch industry.......need I go on? At least I had a choice if I wanted to buy one of their crappy cars, now I became an unwilling owner in Obamalama's pipe dream.
Point taken: spending tax dollars to prop them up is certainly questionable. I guess the decision is: should you let them go "truly" bankrupt and suffer all the consequences of that, or should they be propped up via government subsidies so we don't lose the company? That's a tough call, there is such a huge "ripple effect" in the economy if GM goes under, I tend to think keeping them running is the right choice, but I am not certain. Sometimes it's better to suffer short term pain than prolonging the agony.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:44 AM   #14
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Honestly. You think it's a good idea to appoint an apparatchik? This is the sort of crap we see in Venezuela. Defending this sort of stuff only makes you look ridiculous.

Why not an Exec VP from Ford? The guy running American Honda? There are ten thousand better choices than some schmoozing pol.
You're right. They could have, and should have, found somebody better equipped to represent the government interest in the company. Those are good examples.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:45 AM   #15
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"Defending this sort of stuff only makes you look ridiculous."

Yes it does.
I look ridiculous every day. Sort of like a fat lemon.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #16
acecycleins
Founding Member

GM tried to make it look like thay were building better cars over the last 5 yrs. Funny thing is that with the exception of Caddi and Buick, every one of those new and improved models were being produced in Europe (mostly by Opel) and shipped back here. Barry had the grand idea that saving GM (and Chrysler for that matter) would lead to saved jobs. This is what you get from a guy that couldn't run a hot dog stand on a profit. The Tarp and bailout monies to GM and Chrysler were a mistake. Yes, hundreds of thousands of job losses with in those two companies and many of the suppliers would have been staggering. But it would have been short lived. Once the carcasses of GM and Chrysler were picked over and new owners emerge many of those plants, suppliers and employees would get to return. Yeah, it's possible that half a million people would remain umemployed but unlikey because those new assets need to be producing income for the new owners of the old guard. Just my opinion, but seems sound to me.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #17
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I was in High School when the big 1972/3 gas shortage came along. I didn't have a car yet, but people started looking for better mileage. GM came out with the Vega, my uncle got a GT, that was really cool looking and pretty fast. My best buddy got a brand new Pinto. The Vega rusted through all over within 18 months. The Pinto started breaking at 12,001 miles, everything from the water pump to the dash board cracking into dust. Then the gas tanks started exploding because Ford figured a $13 part on every Pinto was cheaper than paying off the lawsuits for the customers who burned to death. Of course, there was the exqusite Pacer and Gremlin to choose from. Fast forward to 2002, gas prices going through the ceiling, GM introduces (drum roll please) the Hummer H2. Nice going.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #18
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I look ridiculous every day. Sort of like a fat lemon.
Ha! If I tried to keep track of every time I did something ridiculous I'd never have time to do anything else.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #19
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeU View Post
What happened to being "capitalist?"
It went the way of 'capital'.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #20
acecycleins
Founding Member

May be the most sane statement that KP has made in 5 yrs. What happened?