Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle.Com Lounge (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/)
-   -   .50 (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/12094-50.html)

tripleripple 05-30-2009 08:15 PM

I went to a shooting range just outside of Chicago today, and finally got to squeeze off a few rounds for the first time since I moved here 4 years ago (for those who don't know, Chicago has draconian gun laws, the kind that are ridiculous and make no sense). Anyway, the deal at this place is $10 rents you any gun for as long as you want, you can shoot as many different guns as you want, just gotta buy the ammo from them. I haven't priced ammo in a long time so I don't know if this place was in line or not, but it seemed to be staffed by some pretty solid people who were on the up and up. The prices were approx: $25 for 50 rounds of .45, $18 for 50 rounds of .9mm, and the doozie....$25 for 20 rounds of .50.

First up was a Springfield 1911 .45. Great firearm, I've always loved the .45, and why screw around with the Glock when the 1911 is such a solid design. Despite not touching one of these things for this long, I was really happy with my accuracy. Also, the guy working the counter talked our ear off about how easily survivable the .9mm is, despite taking multiple shots. Not sure if this is true (LR? you responded to this shyt many times, no doubt...), but I don't know what that has to do with shooting paper targets.

Next up was this Baretta carbine in .9mm

Cx4 Storm

Word was the current load of 9 mills were jamming up the handguns, but this thing was feeding them well. We had no problems with it and it was a blast. It was brand new, SKU stickers still on it, and I was covered with oil when I was done with it. Super accurate, super fun, and really easy to shoot. Good times.

Last was the Desert Eagle .50. I guess if I had to sum it up, this thing is really really stupid. I read that the Israelis like it for shooting Palestinians thru doors before they breach them. If so, it's perfect. The shock wave rattles your chest, flames go shooting everywhere, and at one point I looked to my right and there were shells about 15 feet away...that's pretty far, especially when there's a wall immediately to your right. It was pretty smooth for all the commotion it makes and I'm glad I finally got to shoot one. I think it pissed everybody off pretty good since it disrupts the whole range. The guy next to us came over and said the percussion of the first shot knocked his ear guard off his left ear. Sorry about that...

Anyway, good times all around. Handguns were involved and no crimes were committed.
Go shoot a .50, laugh about it with your friends, then get a practical firearm.

longride 05-31-2009 06:34 AM

I like the 1911 style pistols in 45 caliber. They have gotten the job done for about 100 years and I hit what I aim at with them. They work. I love em. Now Seruzawa hates em, but I would say that people should own the gun that they can shoot well regardless of caliber. Lots gravitate to a 9mm because they have less recoil and a large capacity mag. I like my Glock 9mm, and I have used it in some shooting classes I have taken, but I always go back to my 1911 for serious shooting because I just plain shoot with it better than any other pistol I have ever tried. Glad you had some fun. Get out to the Buffalo Rock outdoor range and shoot some rifles too. Mucho more fun outdoors.

sarnali2 05-31-2009 07:52 AM

I always like the 1911's myself, as you say they've been doing the job for quite some time now. Really the only reason I chose the .357 over the .45 this time around was I wanted a revolver, I toyed with the idea of a Ruger Blackhawk in .44 mag but figured I wouldn't be running into any grizzles this far south in the Cascades so it was a bit of overkill.

Next on my list is an M & P Compact .40 by S&W however there's a couple of .380's that would make a great pocket gun too so we shall see what we shall see..One advantage of being a fatty is that I wear loose clothing, with the appropriate sized high hide pancake holster I can conceal just about anything, try these guys out, excellent workmanship, handmade in Wasilla Alaska....

Leather Gun Holster, Concealed carry holster - Simply Rugged, Proudly made in Alaska

seruzawa 05-31-2009 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 215083)
I like the 1911 style pistols in 45 caliber. They have gotten the job done for about 100 years and I hit what I aim at with them. They work. I love em. Now Seruzawa hates em, but I would say that people should own the gun that they can shoot well regardless of caliber. Lots gravitate to a 9mm because they have less recoil and a large capacity mag. I like my Glock 9mm, and I have used it in some shooting classes I have taken, but I always go back to my 1911 for serious shooting because I just plain shoot with it better than any other pistol I have ever tried. Glad you had some fun. Get out to the Buffalo Rock outdoor range and shoot some rifles too. Mucho more fun outdoors.

If I don't love 1911s I must hate them? LOL!

1911s are fine. Just old and obsolete. Sort of like longride and sarnali2.

Dr_Sprocket 05-31-2009 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 215089)
If I don't love 1911s I must hate them? LOL!

1911s are fine. Just old and obsolete. Sort of like longride and sarnali2.

What's old is new again. They are just on the cutting edge. ;)

sarnali2 05-31-2009 08:43 AM

There see?? did you see that?? told ya, we're cutting edge...I just look old since I grew my beard back

seruzawa 05-31-2009 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 215091)
What's old is new again. They are just on the cutting edge. ;)

I'm not so sure that someone who is ready for an autopsy is "cutting edge" but since you're a doctor we'll have to take your word for it.

Dr_Sprocket 05-31-2009 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 215094)
I'm not so sure that someone who is ready for an autopsy is "cutting edge" but since you're a doctor we'll have to take your word for it.

Alcohol is a preservative.

seruzawa 05-31-2009 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 215095)
Alcohol is a preservative.

LOL! Then MOrons should be immortal!

Buzglyd 05-31-2009 10:13 AM

When I see Desert Eagle it reminds me of the great scene in Snatch when the bumbling bandits try to rob a mobster with replica pistols.

The guy looks at them and says, " your guns says REPLICA on the side, (he then pulls out his gun) and mine says Desert Eagle .50." Anyway, great scene and if any of you mofos haven't seen Snatch, it's one of the best movies ever made.

Even Brad Pitt is incredible in it.