Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 05-31-2009, 09:23 AM   #11
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

My 5 screw .357 mod 27 is the most accurate handgun I've ever shot. Once I was silloute (sic) shooting with my dad, and he gave me some out of time mod 29 that you couldn't hit a barn door with, and I was shooting at the rams at what, 100 yds? So I asked the score keeper if I could change pistols and he said OK, so I grabbed the old Highway Patrolman and nailed the rams 3 times, with hot flat nosed FMJ factory WW rounds. And it's a 4 inch too.

The 1911 is a great pistol. My AMT Hardballer long-slide was like hitting something with a rock. Load the rounds down to around 600 fps and you could see them come out of the barrel. Like a batting cage in the Whitey Ford slot.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-31-2009, 09:29 AM   #12
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Another great 1911 variant is the .38 Super. And just about everything John Moses Browing designed along those lines. I inherited my Grandfather's pistols, the mod 27, .380 & .32 hammerless Colts, a Luger (1941 Mauser) and a High Standard .22 auto. These are the 'core' pistols that never get traded, sold or otherwise.

Let's talk rifles now!
Old 05-31-2009, 09:57 AM   #13
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Another great 1911 variant is the .38 Super. And just about everything John Moses Browing designed along those lines. I inherited my Grandfather's pistols, the mod 27, .380 & .32 hammerless Colts, a Luger (1941 Mauser) and a High Standard .22 auto. These are the 'core' pistols that never get traded, sold or otherwise.

Let's talk rifles now!
M1A.

Accept no substitute.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:08 AM   #14
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleripple View Post
Go shoot a .50, laugh about it with your friends, then get a practical firearm.
Charles Henderson, the #1 Marine sniper in Viet Nam, often used a .50 machine gun set to single shot. He would sit on a hill and easily control an area of several square miles. He said the round had an incredibly flat and predictable trajectory. If he could see it, he could hit it. He wrote a really interesting book about his career.

Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills - Google Book Search
Old 05-31-2009, 10:16 AM   #15
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

He was talking about shooting a .50 from a handgun there Ken. Gotta know the context of a statement before quoting the #1 sniper.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:18 AM   #16
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I never shot too many rifles, but I really want to get a Springfield M1A when I get the cash.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:18 PM   #17
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

With all this talk about the 1911, it begs the question: who makes the best 1911(A)? Colt? Springfield?
Old 05-31-2009, 12:21 PM   #18
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Well you can't go wrong searching out vintage rifles at a good price. Here are some of my favorites:

FN49 in 8mm: Semi-auto gas operated rifle with a fixed 10 round mag, and a bayonette like a small sword. Every part of the FN is forged, and the excellent gas operating system make the full sized battle rifle kick like a 12 ga. on target rounds. You can modify a BAR mag to fit, then you have 20 rds. of 8mm good out to 1000 yards. Average price for a decent example $200.00.

VZ24 Mauser: Mfg by the BRNO factory in Czechoslovakia (CZ) the VZ is chambered in, what else 8mm and was prized by German troops in WWII for its workmanship. The VZ had a straight bolt handle for easier operation with snow gloves on. Average price for a good one $100.00.
Deadly accurate at 500 yards.

Spanish K98 Mauser rechambered in .308: Good, solid rifle with lousy sights. .308 makes it surplus NATO ready. Mount a scope and have a deadly accurate rifle for less than $100.00 when on sale.

SVT40 Tokarev semi-auto in 7.62x54: Another full battle rifle with the tilting-bolt locking system, and a 10 rd. magazine. Ammo is super cheap, and the rifle kicks ass. FN49 used the same bolt/gas system. Good examples can be found for $200.00.

And the best for last: Simonov SKS Carbine in 7.62x39: What can you say? All kinds of aftermarket goodies to transform a grade B painted stock Chinese $85.00 rifle into a nasty looking assault rifle with a folding stock, detachable 40 round mag, AKM flash supressor, Russian forged trigger group, etc.etc. 20 rounds for $2.00 at gun shows. A lot stronger than the AK, and less expensive too. I built a top-notch assault rifle for less than $200.00 with parts from the TAPCO company.

The thing I look for is cheap, available ammo in mass quantities. I can get 200 rounds of 8mm Hungarian machine gun ammo, non-corrosive primers for $19.95. Also a battle pack of 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 for $150.00. 7.62x54 is available for about $2.50 for 20 rounds here in Kalifornia.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:39 PM   #19
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
And the best for last: Simonov SKS Carbine in 7.62x39
I likes me my Yugo SKS. Looks brand new, cost $185. Replaced the stock rear sight with a Williams. It's got a small removable aperture that you can screw out and it leaves a nice ghost ring that just about exactly matches the front sight hood. Quick acquisition. Once I finally get all the cosmo out I'll see how she hits.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:34 PM   #20
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Sweet, check out the TAPCO website for some swell accessories. You can turn the lowly SKS into a world class assault rifle for peanuts.

And that 7.62x39 cartridge had about twice the stopping power of the
.223 AR15 round. You can even hunt deer with it. Try that with the miserable little .223. Oichen Karisho!