Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 05-29-2009, 10:22 AM   #11
Buzglyd
Founding Member

By the way, this is a great article about the Climate-Industrial Complex.

It's not a conspiracy Ken. It's all about green-as in greenbacks.

The Climate-Industrial Complex - WSJ.com
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2009, 10:28 AM   #12
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
I suppose in theory that sounds great, but would you really spend 20 grand for it?

What do you do if the wind stops blowing for a few days?
Lots of farms had windmills for power 50 years ago. Why do you think they all have wired electric today?
Old 05-29-2009, 10:33 AM   #13
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Lots of farms had windmills for power 50 years ago. Why do you think they all have wired electric today?
Partially because many areas require homeowners to be connected to the local power company even if they have their own power. The govt and their special buddies are going to make you pay for it whether you use it or not.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:36 AM   #14
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Partially because many areas require homeowners to be connected to the local power company even if they have their own power. The govt and their special buddies are going to make you pay for it whether you use it or not.
Maybe, but the stories I heard from farmers in Illinois is many days of the year with zero electric power when no wind blows. Most people can't stand even 1 hour with their power out much less days at a time over and over again.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:41 AM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Maybe, but the stories I heard from farmers in Illinois is many days of the year with zero electric power when no wind blows. Most people can't stand even 1 hour with their power out much less days at a time over and over again.
I use batteries at my cabin with a solar cell so it works out pretty well. They have solar cell systems for about $10K that will generate enough to handle the average home. You would still need a generator if you have more than a couple days without sunlight.

But in Utah they are still going to make you hook up to the grid and pay the fee. No one is allowed to escape THE NET.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:00 AM   #16
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I use batteries at my cabin with a solar cell so it works out pretty well. They have solar cell systems for about $10K that will generate enough to handle the average home. You would still need a generator if you have more than a couple days without sunlight.

But in Utah they are still going to make you hook up to the grid and pay the fee. No one is allowed to escape THE NET.

There is no requirement in the rural Illinois counties to hook up, but they all did anyway. In DeKalb county near here they are building wind farms for electircal generation and all the neighboring farmers are suing the county to take them down because they say it is ruining the value of their land. Hilarious! Everyone wants wind power, only nobody wants to live near it!
Old 05-29-2009, 11:21 AM   #17
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
I suppose in theory that sounds great, but would you really spend 20 grand for it?

What do you do if the wind stops blowing for a few days?
Three words: Bat Ter Rees. Seriously, I've seen setups in the islands that have a combination of wind, solar, battery, and generator. Usually places like that have pretty low usage; they aren't running air conditioners and pool pumps. More like teevees, fridgerators, computers, some lights. One place I stayed only turned on the generator to run the clothes washer.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:36 AM   #18
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
By the way, this is a great article about the Climate-Industrial Complex.

It's not a conspiracy Ken. It's all about green-as in greenbacks.

The Climate-Industrial Complex - WSJ.com
Well, since LR fessed up on Obama-bashing, I'll concede that GW seems to have become a commercial explotation opportunity. That DOES NOT mean that the science is bogus (I don't know and neither does LR), but clearly companies and individuals are using this as a way to make money. I really hope the science is wrong, the consequences of even a 21" rise in the oceans is catastrophic. You know FL, there's be millions of refugees camping in Kirk's yard if that happened.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:20 PM   #19
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Well, since LR fessed up on Obama-bashing, I'll concede that GW seems to have become a commercial explotation opportunity. That DOES NOT mean that the science is bogus (I don't know and neither does LR), but clearly companies and individuals are using this as a way to make money. I really hope the science is wrong, the consequences of even a 21" rise in the oceans is catastrophic. You know FL, there's be millions of refugees camping in Kirk's yard if that happened.
Well none of us are scientists, but look how anyone who dares question GW is treated.

I think you get your answer right there.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:28 PM   #20
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"That DOES NOT mean that the science is bogus (I don't know and neither does LR)"

Yes it is bogus, and the lie is getting bigger every day. One thing that makes it bogus is that Algore proclaimed that the argument is over and everyone that doesn't believe him is a 'flat earther'. As soon as science declares that nobody can challenge their findings, it indicates that their findings are lies. THAT makes it 100% certified BOGUS. No true science I ever knew ducked challenges. They welcomed them. End of story.

"You know FL, there's be millions of refugees camping in Kirk's yard if that happened."

There will be more refugees in MY yard if 'cap and trade' comes to pass. It won't be real fun living in Florida without air conditioning because they won't let you use the energy.

Last edited by longride : 05-29-2009 at 12:32 PM.
longride is offline   Reply With Quote