Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 05-19-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Jack Bauer

From the writer who's penning the 24 novelizations:

Granted, Jack’s CV would give anyone pause: proficient in: firearms, explosives, harsh interrogation techniques, torture, and assassination. From the outset I knew it would be hard to inspire and sustain readers’ empathy for such a character. But I found perspective in the writing of Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, an expert in the field of human aggression and the psychology of combat, whose work has been used as a resource at the FBI Academy and West Point.

In On Combat, Grossman compares civilization to a flock of sheep. In that context, Jack is the sheep dog, the terrorists the wolves. Although the sheep fear the wolves and are guarded by the dog, the dog — with its fangs, claws and willingness to kill — has more in common with the wolves than with the sheep he protects. Despite the dog’s role as protector, he possesses the same predatory instincts and violent tendencies as the wolf, so he can never be a part of the flock...

It’s no surprise Jack Bauer has become a lightning rod: In real life, soldiers and police are often similarly stranded on islands unto themselves, looked on with suspicion by some in the general public. Lately, however, it’s gone beyond wariness. We now live in a country where the brave men and women who’ve sacrificed to protect the people and ideals of this nation have become targeted for terror profiling by the very government they’ve put their lives on the line to protect...

For me, however, the language of film provides the most succinct definition. When I think of Jack Bauer, I see a single iconic image — the final shot in John Ford’s classic Western The Searchers... Ethan Edwards dedicates years of his life to finding a young niece taken by the Indians. The road is hard and bitter, full of war, violence, and deprivation. But Ethan finds her and brings her back. The final shot reveals John Wayne standing alone and forgotten in a doorway, while the family he sacrificed to reunite closes the door on him.

Like Ethan, Jack Bauer is an archetypal loner who protects a flock he can never be part of. As with all our rogue heroes, fictional or real, Jack is willing to pay the ultimate price to defend those who often fear and even loathe him — until the day they need him again.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

A very powerfull scene in "the searchers". For many of my solitary years I identified with Ethan, married buddies would need me when their bike was broke, car needed work, or the plumbing clogged up. But after it was fixed, a stern look from the spouse would usually give my buddy the high sign that it was time for evil bike riding Matt to exit stage right. And I'd "Ride Away" back to my shotgun shack in Echo Park, mildly pissed off, and most of the time half drunk.

Wasn't a real big hit with my bike riding buddies wifes. Especially after one couple got divorced, and my buddy's X wanted to mess around, just to piss Jeff off I guess. I wanted no part of her.

"A man must search his heart and soul, go searching way out there, his peace of mind, he knows he'll find, but where, o lord, o where...ride away..."

Now I'm kind of useless in the mechanical department, so I don't get very many "service calls" any more. Good riddance. Back to being a loner I guess.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #3
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Jack Baur has a CV? which one did he buy....

Even at scrap value those sum'b*tches must play out around 80k tons, then there's fuel costs, replacing all the sh*t they tore out when they mothballed 'em, probably need a couple of dozen people to lite the SOB off and line up power, switchboards and plant auxillieries, you'd need a Navigator and helmsman, radar operator, line handlers....the older CV's were flat stick shifts compared to the newer ones. Those skill sets will be hard to come by unless you hire creaky old b*stards like me and pushrod....Cuddy knows his way around a flight deck but he ain't as limber as he once was. Seruzawa could handle the electrical end but that's a big gad dam boat for one guy to wire up.... Longride could get a start on what computers there are and that don't even start on a Phantom or two to make the whole thing worthwhile.....

Nah, I think ol' Jack has his work cut out for him....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 05-19-2009 at 08:43 AM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:00 AM   #4
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
A very powerfull scene in "the searchers".
That one, and the one where he picks up Natalie Wood as if he's going to kill her, then sweeps her down into his arms and cradles her. First time I saw it, I audibly gasped. Pure brilliance.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Jack Baur has a CV? which one did he buy....

Even at scrap value those sum'b*tches must play out around 80k tons, then there's fuel costs, replacing all the sh*t they tore out when they mothballed 'em, probably need a couple of dozen people to lite the SOB off and line up power, switchboards and plant auxillieries, you'd need a Navigator and helmsman, radar operator, line handlers....the older CV's were flat stick shifts compared to the newer ones. Those skill sets will be hard to come by unless you hire creaky old b*stards like me and pushrod....Cuddy knows his way around a flight deck but he ain't as limber as he once was. Seruzawa could handle the electrical end but that's a big gad dam boat for one guy to wire up.... Longride could get a start on what computers there are and that don't even start on a Phantom or two to make the whole thing worthwhile.....

Nah, I think ol' Jack has his work cut out for him....

Although your post is completely offtopic, I appreciate it mightily!

Your description of an old flattop and the travails of getting her underway are the exact reason the Battleships will never steam again.

Too many people to operate it, lack of parts, lack of people that know anything about the machinery, poor fuel economy, bad PR (reactivating a warship! Can't be having that! What would the UN/Iran/Russia/ACLU/PETA think!?) and a shrinking fleet make it a very unpalatable expense.

Other than the supercarriers, the days of the big warship are gone forever.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:53 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Using soldiers during war time and then shytting on them in peace time is a normal condition. They did it to me, they did it to the KW vets, they did it to the WWI vets... the only reason the WWII vets got anything is because there were so damm many of them. Republicans do it, Democrats do it, the Whigs and Federalists did it. All political parties have no conscience. They use people up and spit them out.

The only rights you have are those you fight for. Any rights you leave to someone else to protect you will lose. Fighting doesn't automatically mean violence. But when political action fails, as it always has in the past, then the people return to the pitchforks and boiling oil.