Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 05-15-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Sad end to historic dealerships across US

With GM and Chrysler closing down dealerships right and left, thousands of companys are beig notified they're losing contracts, and once they sell off whatever they have left, that's it, out of business.

It's sad to some of the older dealerships, some whose locations haven't changed in fifty years, get the axe, like Star Chrysler in Glendale California who's on the block.

Opened in 1955, Star Chrysler Plymouth took the corner spot at the South West end where Los Feliz and Brand Blvds cross. I can remember orange Hemi Cudas and lime green Plymouth 340 Dusters in the showroom back in the middle 70's. I bought two pickups from Star, after being hooked on Dodge trucks ever since owning a '64 Dodge 3/4 ton longbed.

Now this is going to put thousands of people out of work, and the ripple effect will shake the local parts stores, tire shops, and other vendors where the dealerships purchase thier stuff from.

Dealerships contribute to community resources via jobs, and pay big taxes to the local city and state. This could be bad. My Grandpappy use to say the way GM goes, is the way the USA goes. I hope he's wrong.

http://imageserver.carsoup.com/UVIDW...1.jpg?xt=81156

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-15-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I've jonesed for an A-100 pickup (which that is not) ever since I could 'member. If it's clean-enough to be worth havin', they want a mint for 'em, but cheap-enough I could afford, the thing's about a humid afternoon from collapsing into a pile of rust-particles........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:20 AM   #3
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

The day these dealerships close will be a sad day for America, indeed. Such is the American way -- adapt or get out of the way.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:07 AM   #4
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Aw hell Cuddy, prolly more than half the people there in Kali are happy this is happening. It's what they have been wishing for for years. No use gettin all teary eyed about it. Kali only has about 32 billion in debt, so the best is yet to come.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
newagetwotone
Registered Member

We have the oldest jeep dealer in the country here around pittsburgh.

There was a quote from a dealer around the area "Well thats it, the government has spoken"

What an a$$hole. The gov didn't deside to pay wages ofover $70 an hour to the average assembly line worker, nor did the gov deside to over price cars, buy too many other car companys ect. Chrysler did, if anything Chrysler deserves to have to reform and maybe they can try again.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
We have the oldest jeep dealer in the country here around pittsburgh.

There was a quote from a dealer around the area "Well thats it, the government has spoken"

What an a$$hole. The gov didn't deside to pay wages ofover $70 an hour to the average assembly line worker, nor did the gov deside to over price cars, buy too many other car companys ect. Chrysler did, if anything Chrysler deserves to have to reform and maybe they can try again.
You've been listening to the Politicians too much, NATT. Nobody is getting $70 an hour - Media still wedded to $70+ per hour autoworker falsehood despite GM's recent statements to the contrary | Media Matters for America

Or this paragraph by Felix Salmon:

The average GM assembly-line worker makes about $28 per hour in wages, and I can assure you that GM is not paying $42 an hour in health insurance and pension plan contributions. Rather, the $70 per hour figure (or $73 an hour, or whatever) is a ridiculous number obtained by adding up GM's total labor, health, and pension costs, and then dividing by the total number of hours worked. In other words, it includes all the healthcare and retirement costs of retired workers. [emphasis in original]
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:37 AM   #7
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

In the early 70's, the pres. of GM (forget his name) said something like "We will never be able to compete with the foreign auto makers, and eventually our market share will collapse."

So they knew what was coming for years, but like a terminal patient on pain pills and IV's hooked up to bailout money, they partied away in a suicidal bliss, to quote L7.

On another note, has anyone taken a look at the new Fiats? They are crap, period. Look like a bread box on wheels.

Excuse me, but I have to wash the Town & Country.